Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tell me the best way to clean my barrel (Read 8774 times)
Roscoe
Participating Member

Tell me the best way to clean my barrel
Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Sharps Shiloh #3 .45-70

I'm switching over to black powder next week and I need to know the proper way to clean my barrel.  I did a couple of searches but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

I don't shoot competition but shoot on a weekly basis.  I plan on wiping between shots and before I leave the range, I plan on giving the barrel a decent cleaning and then in my shop a good final cleaning.

I have access to hot and cold running water in my shop.  I have read some reports where people scrub the barrel with a brush and patch soaked with Dawn liquid.  Others have report just running hot water through the barrel until it's clear, dry patch and a light oil patch.

So what is the best way that y'all are cleaning the barrels.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tell me the best way to clean my barrel
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Don't overthink it - it is actually pretty simple:  Waster will dissolve BP fouling, so you can use water to clean out the fouling.  Run a couple of moist ptches through the barrel, followed by a few dry ones - after all, you don't want to leave H2O in the barrel..
Just water will work, some people use a water/water soluble oil solution (although this is most frequently for wiping between shots).
Then you can just oil your barrel to protect it.
If you have leading, 1st clean out the fouling, then go for the leading with whatever your favourite recipe is.

I actually clean at the range - few wet patches, a few dry ones, and 2 oiled ones (I use Ed's Red) - that's all that is usually needed.   
Nornally there is no need to brush the barrel, and running water through the barrel is way overkill, with the risk of getting water in the action - not good...

Now, the cases do need a bit more work though!

IP Logged

Roscoe
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 10:12am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:54am:
Don't overthink it - it is actually pretty simple:  Waster will dissolve BP fouling, so you can use water to clean out the fouling.  Run a couple of moist ptches through the barrel, followed by a few dry ones - after all, you don't want to leave H2O in the barrel..
Just water will work, some people use a water/water soluble oil solution (although this is most frequently for wiping between shots).
Then you can just oil your barrel to protect it.
If you have leading, 1st clean out the fouling, then go for the leading with whatever your favourite recipe is.

I actually clean at the range - few wet patches, a few dry ones, and 2 oiled ones (I use Ed's Red) - that's all that is usually needed.  
Nornally there is no need to brush the barrel, and running water through the barrel is way overkill, with the risk of getting water in the action - not good...

Now, the cases do need a bit more work though!

What is "Waster"?

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Geez Roscoe! Waster is wader wit wader-salable oerl.  I taught anibady new dat. Roll Eyes. It be much more betta dan regalar wader.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 10:37am
Print Post  
A lot of people that wipe between shots use a water soluble oil and I think one of the more popular ones is available from NAPA, its #WLD 7651526. Available in a qt bottle. I think a lot use between 1-6 and 1-10 mix. 
Other than that there are some good bp solvents on the market, that mix with water check with local muzzle loading shops or with Dixie. 
For me, I use a water bases BP solvent that isn't available any more but I have enough on hand to last me a long time. Just a couple of wet patches down the bore, a couple of dry ones and a good oily one and I am done. If I have any leading I use a lead away patch to pull that out and then the oily patch. Been doing it this way for about 20 years and my bores still look good.
Sam

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Damp patch, back and forth a bit.  Then another untill it gets a bit cleaner.

Then patches with bore cleaner on them, I use Ed's red on everything.

Do it again the next day to be sure.

It really is not rocket science.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I used Glass Plus window cleaner for BP solvent when I shot a lot of BP.  Cheap, works, and no ammonia like Windex. I use it occasionally as a first patch for smokeless shooting too.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
First, I do wipe between shots, and at end of shooting.
For gg bullets, wipe twice between shots with dist water.
for PP bullets wipe twice dist water patch, then 
1. 2-3 patches wet with Windex with Vinegar(NOT Ammonia)
2. Dry patch
3. Patch wet with 99 % rubbing alcohol(remove water)
4. Dry patch
5. Patch wet with Olive or Canola oil.
Next time shooting, simply run 1 dry patch thru bore, and ready for first shot

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
damn buttons on this computer.
for PP bullets use  two dist water wet patches, then 1 dry patch
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

sharps
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
my cleaning process is glass cleaner, w/vinegar and water [50/50 mix] when patches look clean, dry bore and run a damp patch of balistol to coat the bore and all the metal surfaces, been working so far

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Hoppes number 9 wet till it's pretty clean. Leave barrel wet overnight or two then clean, dry, oil.

Simple and I hadn't run into any problems yet.

John

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Popes instructions to clean a barrel were quite simple: I use nothing but a drill rod (smooth tool steel) cleaning and proceeding as follows. 
1.      Always clean from the breech never the muzzle end.
2.      I always use absorbent cotton for cleaning my barrels. Pull out a tuft, which will be a rather tight fit in the bore. Place this on the button head of the rod; use it dry and push it clear through the barrel thereby pushing out nearly all the dirt. You don’t want to use any fluid on this and make a solution of powder dirt that runs all over the gun. 
3.      Take another piece of cotton almost as tight and wipe this back and forth a couple of times. Turn this inside out and do it again.
4.      Take another piece not so tight and wet this with Hoppes #9 powder solvent, wipe back and forth two or three times, turn it inside out and repeat. 
5.      Take another piece of cotton that will fit very easily, wet this with Hoppes #9 and wipe back and forth so as to leave the barrel swimming with it. I have used Hoppes #9 practically exclusively for 27 years and I have never had a rusted barrel. It plays no tricks, there may be something just as good BUT LET GEORGE USE IT. 
6.      Take the same piece as in number 5 and wipe out the countersink of the muzzle and the muzzle of the gun then around the breech and action, and put it away it is safe.

This is from Respectfully Yours H.M. Pope.

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Four-five breaths through the blow tube. Push clinkers out with a patch. Four -five breaths through the blow tube, push a patch through. Wet patch with Hoppes and scrub bore. Push a dry patch through. Use less Hoppes that way. Hoppes costs money.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
There you have it. Lots of options.  Every shooter has at least 2 ways.  Surprisingly, they all work pretty well  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Roscoe
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 8th, 2016 at 12:21pm:
There you have it. Lots of options.  Every shooter has at least 2 ways.  Surprisingly, they all work pretty well  Roll Eyes

This is what I was looking for.  I was telling my neighbor about it and he gave me two cans of Ballistol.  I'll be going that route.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint