Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sulphur River Armory 1874 Sharps (Read 4531 times)
outsidebear

Sulphur River Armory 1874 Sharps
Apr 4th, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Trying to help a friend find any information on an 1874 Sharps action rifle with barrel, action and side lock stamp markings of: Sulphur River Armory, Naples, Tx. It was recently purchased on Gunbroker, here's the link, they show better pictures than I take! Most likely some of you saw it on Gunbroker.  In looking around on the internet it's been at a couple of the auction house sales in times past?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I inquired with Sharps folks in Big Timber, Mt, they are not familiar with the name, nor are a couple friends who are into the older Sharps rifles.  The block has what appears to be a non-original gas shield/metal plate block, installed.  Also a one piece firing pin.

Had the opportunity to fire some rounds through it this past Saturday. Using PP bullets it did well at the 300 and 500 yard line.  It's a decent shooter, that has been proven.

Most likely a custom/private gunsmith project from an old original military action, or ????  Any positive input would be appreciated and I shall pass the information on to the the owner.  thank you
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:40am by outsidebear »  

IP Logged

bleukahuna

Re: Sulphur River Armory 1874 Sharps
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
You could try calling Sulper River gun sales and see if they can tell you anything  903-897-5529

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Unfortunately I couldn't view the rifle. According to GB the number is incorrect. Could you remove the colon after the number, that might help. Thanks.
Harry

IP Logged

Wincacher
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Easily viewed without the colon:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 9:36am
Print Post  
The rifle sold for $975 but is still available for viewing if you copy just the item number and search thereon.  It's a "western-style" custom gun, apparently made with mostly new parts and fitted with Kelley sights; very showy but strikes me as being not quite up to snuff in workmanship.  According to the action and barrel stamps, the Sulphur River Armory is or was located in Naples, Texas.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

outsidebear

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I tried opening the GB file in my original Post, it didn't work.
So recopied the number info and re-Posted it in my original Post. It works now, though it's the same.  Goofy computers! 

Thank you all who have commented, it's appreciated.
Yes, a worked over old iron, but as the new caretaker/owner found out, it does shoot very good.

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Twenty some years ago I purchased new a 50-90 Sharps from Sulphur Armory for hunting. It was my first Sharps rifle. I even entered some matches over in Ft. Worth & placed pretty decent I thought. It encouraged me to get into target rifles & from there I went in BPCR silhouette.
That particular rifle looks to have been restocked as the originals were straight grain walnut with no frills.
derrickman

IP Logged

outsidebear

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
derrickman: thank you for the information (other folks as well). We'd figured this was most likely a small shop making a few rifles, and from what all we're not able to learn about it, they didn't last too long? Your having bought new rifle from them 20 years ago lends a bit more insight. Always nice to ferret out information on a rifle one has and uses.  Welcoming more information someone might chime in with.  thank you

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
He only made 16 or 17 rifles total.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Maybe not the best workmanship but a nifty and unique looking rifle and well worth $975 since it shoots well. Heck, that's less than 250 new 32-40 brass.

IP Logged

outsidebear

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you to all that took the time to look at the Post regarding Sulphur River Armory, 
AND those that were able to lend some insight into this oddity.  
outsidebear

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint