Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) H&R Trapdoor rear sight question (Read 5600 times)
Ray P
Ex Member

H&R Trapdoor rear sight question
Apr 2nd, 2016 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Love my H&R Officers Model, but the tang rear sight is tough to adjust for different loads.  Has anyone tried replacing the H&R rear sight with one that is screw adjusted?

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Re: H&R Trapdoor rear sight question
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I have used several tang sights on sporterized trapdoors. I would suggest that you weld a tang extension on the breech
plug and drill and tap it for "standard" sharps style sight bases, which would probably give you the most options Many tang sights are set up to allow for slight variations in hole spacing. You will probably not find a better sight with the same spacing between the mounting screws as the one that comes with the rifle, so if you mount the sight directly into the wood, you will have to drill one or maybe two holes. Another option would be to mount a metal sub-base on the wood using the two holes you already have, then drill and tap into that sub-base for your new sight. Your best option is to extend the tang and drill and tap into it. Original Springfield officer's models used several variations of Sharps sights in addition to the style that came with your rifle. Another option is just to find the best load for the rifle , set your elevation for it, and leave it alone. Another option is to use a dial caliper to measure elevation for different loads. Set the dial caliper, adjust the elevation to fit, and lock it down. I hope you fine a solution that works for you. Joe S

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I owned a H&R Officers and have owned 3 or 4 Original Trapdoors. Always set my sights with a dial caliper . It's absolutely repeatable, inexpensive and requires no modification to the rifle. 

If I was match shooting and needed to adjust elevation in a timed relay it would have been a disadvantage. Otherwise setting before you shoot and keeping the same elevation during a session, it's a good solution.

For a single base zero small spot of paint on the ladder will indicate correct zero. I do just that to my Match Lever actions using eithe Lyman or MVA reproduction tang sights. Acrilic paint in a puddle touch it with the point of a scratch Awl pick up a small bubble of paint and transfer it to the sight.  This keeps me from making whole turn of the barrel errors. 

Boats 

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Check out Lee Shaver Gunsmithing...

He will make his Economy Model Soule Sight to fit the existing H&R Officer's Model base -- and the price comes in a little less than what you see on his website.

I added one to mine, and it's worked out great!!!

Tight groups.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Mine always blew open, even with light loads.
A bit un-concerting when the brass skims by you.
You guys obviously have better luck.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
My H&R went "auto eject" also, due to the fact that the latch assembly was not made like the originals. The cam rotates out of alignment on the H&R, which the originals cannot do. One fix is to install a set screw to lock the assembly in the correct position. They are great looking rifles and very accurate, but the auto-eject is a common problem. Joe S

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Another option that you might consider is to drill and tap the barrel for a M-1879 sight. easy to adjust and not expensive plus makes it look even more original.
You slide the tang sight slide way up the staff then sight in with the open sights then move the slide to get the three lined up then slide the barrel sight back down and you are good to go. 

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Joe,
I did do the setscrew and fixed it, but I sold it afterward.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:26am
Print Post  
The original sights on officer’s models were modified Sharps sights. I’d look into a soul sight.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Do the Pedersoli trapdoors also have the "auto-eject" problem?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Ray P
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for the great information!  Boats, I'll certainly give the D.C. process a try tomorrow Smiley.  I will also look into Lee Shaver Gunsmithing.  

With my eyes the way they are now, I really don't expect I'd be able to get good results from the M1879 buckhorn; I had a new backing block made for the H&R tang sight that allows me to screw in a (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) diopter reading lens.

Haven't had any auto-eject issues, but I will certainly look into the possibility of a preventitive setscrew fix if I do send it out to Mr. Shaver for a new rear sight.

Thank you all again!

IP Logged

Ray P
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Old No7:  Will do!  Best regards to the SBR&GC and KTP gun floor crew.  I sure do miss those places & people out here in NM.

Old_No7 wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 6:00pm:
Check out Lee Shaver Gunsmithing...

He will make his Economy Model Soule Sight to fit the existing H&R Officer's Model base -- and the price comes in a little less than what you see on his website.

I added one to mine, and it's worked out great!!!

Tight groups.

Old No7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint