Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question (Read 15135 times)
Roscoe
Participating Member

Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question
Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I'm new to the black powder world.  Have my rifle, and many other assorted items.  I've shot some smokeless just to get the feel of the rifle, scope sighted in etc.  I'm in the process of using black powder only and here lies my question.

Some people use a blow tube only between shots.  Some only wipe between shots.  Then again some people use a blow tube and wipe between shots.

To those of you that blow and wipe.  What order is this done in?  Blow 1st then wipe?  Wipe 1st then blow?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Different opinions on this one but,

Reason for the blow tube is BPCS 2 1/2 minute  5 shot relay from cross sticks wiping with a rod takes up a lot of time. Blowing much faster and easier.

Unlimited time wiping will give better results. Even in BPCS many have wiping down to quick and easy not blowing at all. One wet one dry is my routine. Two rods.

I never saw anybody do both , it's one or the other.

Boats

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
My schuetzen rifles work best when wiped clean between shots.  Three damp patches and then a dry one for the chamber only.  In my rifles leaving the bore slightly damp works best.

Steve Garbe wrote of blowtubing and then following with a dry patch.  I have not ever tried that but will someday.  Based on published WSU/NRC match results, his approach is definitely worth trying.   

If you are talking about shooting silhouettes or target rifle where there are time constraints it's probably best to pick one or the other.

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Humidity when you are shooting makes a big difference in bore condition shot to shot.  What worked one day may not work another. Wipe the bore clean between shots it's consistent no matter what the weather 

Boats

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Back when I first started shooting BPCR Silhouette (2005) I used a blow tube because that's what most everyone was doing back then. There were a few wiping between shots but they were a small minority.

Years later I had to start taking blood pressure meds with a diuretic. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the moisture I needed to blow tube anymore. Finally decided the diuretic was drying me out.

I went to wiping between shots and it was pretty funny to see me fumbling around at first. Once I got the hang of it I could run a string of five shots faster by wiping, and be more consistent from the start of the match to the end of the day.

I was in AAA for a looong time. Shortly after going to wiping between shots I made it into Master Class. I truly believe wiping gained me more than a few points.

Of course this all takes place in the Central Valley of California. Where you are you may have different results.

Even though I haven't shot BPCR for quite a few years now I would still recommend you develop a good routine for wiping and never look back. 

If you need any help on the particulars of wiping drop me a PM.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:49am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:40pm:

Reason for the blow tube is BPCS 2 1/2 minute  5 shot relay from cross sticks wiping with a rod takes up a lot of time. Blowing much faster and easier.
I never saw anybody do both , it's one or the other.
Boats

In the hundred(s) of matches I've shot I have never noticed a shooter who both wipes & uses a blow-tube. Maybe I've just never noticed.

And, I've never shot a BPCR match with only 2 1/2min for a 5-shot relay. Every match I've shot gives 7min for the 1st string of 5-animals and 5min for the subsequent strings of 5-animals in a relay (usually 10-animals, but some regional/nat'l matches are 15-animals).

I tried blow-tubing when I started. In my first season and not knowing much (some would say that hasn't changed Wink) on a single-digit humidity day I couldn't chamber my 3rd or 4th round of a string. Started wiping and have stayed with it. I would say about 75% of competitors wipe these days, including a big majority of AAA/Mstr shooters.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 8:45am
Print Post  
I also started out blow tubing and later went to wiping. I feel I get more consistent results wiping as well. Also have never seen anyone blow tube and also wipe for each round..
Although I know many shooters who Shoot much better scores than I at times with their blow tubing routine!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 9:02am
Print Post  
You guys may not have tried the blowtube and wipe technique, but read through some of the older issues of the Black Powder Cartridge News and look at the NRC match results.  Then try and duplicate SPG's string measure scores.

I'm not saying I've tried it, but you absolutely cannot argue with the results.

I have never seen amyone use it either.

Chris.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 10:36am
Print Post  
When I was shooting silhouette I used just a blowtube.  Here in Ohio the humidity was not real low, but I have shot a match when the relative humidity was in the lower 30% range and had no fouling problems at all.
Loading a clean burning charge was/is the way to go.  I did use a 5 gr 4F duplex behind a 50/50 mix of 2F and 3F in a 40-65.

Wiping after every shot would be a pain in my book.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Out here in Washington state the humidity can high enough that you can suck on the blow tube to draw in the humid air.  Give it a try sometime to see how it works. Smiley

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
One of the good statements above is that swiping is consistent.  Another good statement was, "what was working yesterday, might not work today with blow tubing.

As you can tell, there is just not one way to swipe. 
One wet with drying with a chamber mop up to 3 wet and one dry one.

Blow tubing success is like everyone is talking about.  Depends on the moisture in the air.   So, where 3 nice long blows would be great this month, it might take 8 blows in the heat of the summer.  There is also technique in how you blow too.  Taking air in your mouth and exhaling it back through the tube.  The second is through the nose, lungs and then out through the tube, which it has more moisture in it way.  I think blow tubing is easy, but take time to learn what works for the day.  If you clean between banks of animals, you will feel when running a cleaning patch down the barrel if it is soft and smooth or dry and jerky.  If dry and jerky, the barrel needs more moisture.

Being on a time clock will also come into play.  Blow tubing can be quicker at times.  Great subject !
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:35pm by majorfs45 »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I can just see a few buffalo hunters sitting by the fire discussing how to blow their rifles............................

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Sure they talked about blowing something.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
You may suck...........once. You won't do it again I can guarantee that!

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 3:33pm:
Out here in Washington state the humidity can high enough that you can suck on the blow tube to draw in the humid air.  Give it a try sometime to see how it works. Smiley

Jack

Jack I did that once.  It was probably what converted me to wiping Smiley.  I still have some of the taste in my mouth years later.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint