Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question (Read 15163 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question
Reply #30 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Long ago when I hunted with 54 calib muzzle loader, I was happy with at least 3,0" 3 shot groups at 100 yds, no wiping, for hunting. Never used 2nd shot hunting. Only powder I could get that perforance with then was Pyrodex and TC's MaxiBalls with those huge lube grooves. First shots from those loads, totally clean bore, were as good as I could shoot that rifle -- more like 2,0".

Years later, with 44-40s and original Ideal 427098 44-40 bullets, Swiss or 777 ffg, SPG lube, at least 50 shots per day from either rifle or revolver with maintained group size was SOP. Read stuff by John Kort to learn how it is done. 

An old Swedish kombi hunting gun, rifle barrel 12,4X44R (for moose), would hold 3 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds, 10 inch 5 shots at 300 yds until I was no longer willing to take recoil of that 8lb gun. Same principles, 777FFg powder, ancient design bullets for BP cartridge rifles.

Principles for nice grouping BP rifle cartridges have been around for maybe 200 years. You do need quality components, especially BP, and rifles.

Grisen

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:39pm:
Grisen, What lube do you use?

SPG. Always worked well and consitantly. SPG and Swiss have been good combination, especially when combined with well designed BP bullets from Ideal, Lyman, Saeco, RCBS, and good loading techniques. Been pretty much as straight forward as loading nitro powders and mantled bullets.

I have never -- yet -- gotten into schuetzen or "one-hole groups" from bench shooting, or "1000M" shooting of any kind.

Grisen   

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:52pm:
Boats,

Long ago when I hunted with 54 calib muzzle loader, I was happy with at least 3,0" 3 shot groups at 100 yds, no wiping, for hunting. Never used 2nd shot hunting. Only powder I could get that perforance with then was Pyrodex and TC's MaxiBalls with those huge lube grooves. First shots from those loads, totally clean bore, were as good as I could shoot that rifle -- more like 2,0".

Grisen

What kind of ML rifle? My Green Mountain 54 flinter would put RB in 3" at 100 as long as the flint wan't worn out.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Stock TC percussion rifle, Renegade model. Plain, well made rifle designed for MaxiBalls. Round balls never did shoot nearly as well.

It had plenty of recoil with 90-110gr FFg loads under .54 cal. MaxiBalls. Three shots in sequence were all I wanted to shoot. Killed almost as many deer with it as with cartridge rifles. ,54 cal hole are good killers. Bought .54 cause I had visions of hunting elk with it -- never happened.

Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I had a TC Hawken 50 that shot RB well.  I think nit had a 48 twist, but could be wrong. 

Never shot an elk or billy goat with my 54 flint.  Coujldnb't get in rane for RB, but deer and a 350 pound black bear.  That bear made me decide Griz were Ok where they were and I'd be OK where I was,  Grin

It brought more meat home form the matches than the field  Grin

I used to just blow through the barrel each shot and very seldom wipe shooting Goex FFg. We have mild weather and not low humidity very often.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I was at CAS match in Alabama once and at end of day was surprised to find long black streaks down my pants legs where high humidity (90+F and musta be well over 100% humidity!! Air was visible!!) had liquified so much BP crud in both holstered revolvers that black liquid was running down outside of both pants legs!!

Made cleaning BP crud outta revovers and double barreled shotgun real easy. Rifle was different story cause it was running down outta barrel into receiver and on back along tangs. Real mess!!

Grisen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint