Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question (Read 15151 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Blow Tube - Barrel Wipe question
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
When I was shooting silhouette I used just a blowtube.  Here in Ohio the humidity was not real low, but I have shot a match when the relative humidity was in the lower 30% range and had no fouling problems at all.
Loading a clean burning charge was/is the way to go.  I did use a 5 gr 4F duplex behind a 50/50 mix of 2F and 3F in a 40-65.

That's an interesting "duplex" load, though one could argue that it is not really a duplex load as is 100% BP.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Brain fart on the relay time was thinking about Smallbore.

Boats

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:55am
Print Post  
I blow tubed for a couple of years then switched to wiping here in central Texas due to the variations in heat & humidity. A couple of advantages to wiping not mentioned is the lube factor & bullet design.  Blow tubing in hot temp requires that the bullet holds plenty of good lube, i.e. mini- or micro-groove bullets are not a good idea.  In addition the technique must be adjusted based on the temp changes, plus keeping one hydrated is critical.  When wiping the lube qty is not as important, bullets that hold less lube generally work fine, changing wiping technique due to temp. changes is not as important & keeping hydrated in not a factor.

I keep a blow tube in my line box just in case but have never felt the need to use it when wiping.

BTW, when I was blow tubing I ran some testing of lube qty. and determine that in the central Texas heat a .40-65 bullet should hold 1.75 to 2 grains of good lube.  1.5 grains is marginal & anything less was asking for problems.  For example, the Paul Jones #40001 bullet holds about 2 gr of lube, the SAECO #740 was marginal at 1.4 to 1.5 gr & the Lyman Snover #410663 held only 1 gr.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:50am
Print Post  
It's not so much the quantity of lube as where it is situated.  Lots of lube doesn't do anything if you have very deep, narrow grooves.   In order to be effective, the lube needs to be in contact with the bore - everything that's slung off the bullet when it exists the muzzle (like on your chrono skyscreens) is totally useless.  Which is where the contact surface becomes important.    One can have a bullet that has lots of lube in the wrong place and won't work - and another that has much less lube capacity and won't cause any issues whatsoever.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2016 at 9:04am by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Thank you, Wayne.
That explains the dry, crusty fouling in the last six inches of the barrel when blow tubing using a Snover bullet.
Chuck

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian's comment is certainly valid.  The following is from an article on Browning .40-65 BPCR bullet design I'm currently writing. 

"...when using a blow tube, not only must the bullet carry sufficient lubricant to coat the bore to the muzzle to eliminate leading, the lube is also essential in helping to keep the powder fouling soft in hot and dry condition.  Not only is the lube quantity important, sufficient lube must contact the bore.  Adding up the width of the lube grooves determines the lube contact length.  A well-known bullet designer and shooter found through rigorous testing that 0.250” of lube contact length is optimum.  The width and depth of the grooves determines the lube carrying capacity.  Although the lube contact length may be adequate, if the grooves are not deep enough to carry sufficient capacity the bullet may run out of lube prior to reaching the muzzle.  An excellent method to determine if the bullet holds enough lube is to check the muzzle for a lube star, lack of which indicates insufficient capacity or possibly poor quality lube. But the presence of a lube star does not verify adequate contact length."

"An excellent example of marginal (I consider it inadequate) contact length and insufficient lube quantity is the Lyman Snover with a contact length of 0.200" and only 1 gr (0.07cc) of lube.  It's a nice looking bullet with an aerodynamic nose design & under the right conditions it can be very accurate, but when the ambient temp. increases & the humidity drops the inadequate lube grooves become a liability when using a blow tube."

Wayne
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2016 at 6:10pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
For those of us that allow ourselves to seek small groups via lighter powder charges, the Lyman Snover 40 caliber works well with Swiss BP and wads, etc. that allow no blowby.  All of the nice research quoted in above posts still applies when one considers the operative variable to be amount of BP burned, hence amount of powder fouling.

In practice this means 40-50 Sharps Straight level of velocity performance. It can even mean loads that maintain required group sizes for BPCR shooting at 500M, no wiping, no blowing for 15 or more concecutive shots. Shorter barrels (28" instead of 32") can be advantage.

Grisen

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Excellent. You'll have to show us the way with your scores at Raton this July.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Sorry, never shoot at Raton -- way too windy there for us "shoot for fun" old guys. Strictly for masochists and similar addicts.

Will be far away in July.

Enjoy,
Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm:
Sorry, never shoot at Raton -- way too windy there for us "shoot for fun" old guys. Strictly for masochists and similar addicts.

Will be far away in July.

Enjoy,
Grisen

I was there one day when I thought my rifle would blow off the line.  The cover didn't do any good.  Rain from the thunderstorm was coming under it hitting the windshields of the vehicles in the parking lot. 

I think the blow tubes and wiping rods ended up between Mexico  City and the Panama Canal somewhere.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Several years ago I drove I-25 from Denver to Santa Fe and beyond a few times per year. From Raton south for a couple hours drive, the wind was nearly always so strong I had to steer my front tires 20 degrees or more into the wind just to stay in my lane or even on the paved part of I-25. If that section of road was snow covered I changed my travel plans.

What was someone thinking when they located a National Level target shooting facility there?? 

Many years ago I shot every year at Ben Avery, the really excellent facility just north of Phoenix, and never had a bad weather experience in 5-6 years. I did miss the one match when a typical SW downpour gave Ben Avery a very through washing.

Grisen

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2016 at 12:22pm:
For those of us that allow ourselves to seek small groups via lighter powder charges, the Lyman Snover 40 caliber works well with Swiss BP and wads, etc. that allow no blowby.  All of the nice research quoted in above posts still applies when one considers the operative variable to be amount of BP burned, hence amount of powder fouling.

In practice this means 40-50 Sharps Straight level of velocity performance. It can even mean loads that maintain required group sizes for BPCR shooting at 500M, no wiping, no blowing for 15 or more concecutive shots. Shorter barrels (28" instead of 32") can be advantage.

Grisen

Grisen,

Note that I previously said that under the right conditions the Lyman Snover can be very accurate.   And I don’t consider the “operative variable to be amount of BP burned, hence amount of powder fouling”.  I have found that the operative variable is temperature & humidity.  Generally accuracy was fine and even excellent at all distance out to 500 meters (the longest range I tested the bullet) under moderate temperature & humidity conditions.  But when 500 meter tests were run in typical central Texas summer ambient weather conditions (temps in the mid 90’s to 100 degree and humidity approaching 30%) the lube capacity was not sufficient when blow tubing.  BTW, I use a high-quality proven lube, Swiss 1.5 and a good 0.060” wad between the powder and bullet base, so blow by was not an issue.

I expect the bullet to do well in similar condition if wiping between shots, which I plan to test in the future.

Wayne

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
When I shot a lot of Minne Ball Rifle M/Loaders, Conical bullet, hollow base, no patch. Fowling was very obvious on hot dry days.  Push the bullet down it would hang on a dry hard spot 4-6 inches above the breech every few shots,  had to push real hard on the ramrod to seat. 

Other times it would slide right down hardly any resistance at all long runs. It was the hot dry days that fowling was so obvious.

Those days we paid little attention to the lube lot of it little consideration to what kind. Bullets mostly lubed with Crisco groves and hollow base full. No doubt it gave up on the dry days.

Hard bullet seat, wet patch on a jag loosened things right up and she went back to shooting fine. 

Anyhow that set my mind that wiping between shots was the best practice if you want performance. Much later breech seating my 38/55 with Black powder went to wipe every shot and obtained results very near Smokeless loads.

Boats

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Wayne,

I agree that temp and humidity can play decisive roles with BP loads. My lifelong standard for BP loads is different than what most BPCR shooteers use. I almost never wipe or blow tube between shots and do not want to. I do wipe out nearly all powder fouling after each 15 shots of a BPCR relay (1 fouler, 4 sighters, 10 for score). Being a slow old guy I need all the time to concentrate on shooting. I am not a long time BPCR shooter even though I have been using small grouping BP loads since a teenager for hunting.

My goal is for group size to remain constant for at least 15 shots, no matter if cool and wet, hot and wet or hot and dry. After 1 fouler my groups are consistant for at least following 14 shots (that does not mean I never let off a bad shot). I accepetence test loads for 10 shots, no messing with bore. Sometimes my best shots are late in 10-shot string, when I finally get my act together (I have more contrary body parts than just shoulder). My best loads have maintained group size/score on steel critters even at 90+F and less than 15% humidity -- with NO HARD FOULING in bore.

One of my best grouping loads with Lyman Snover 410663 used 60 gr Swiss FF, 2 0,060" wads, 0,25" compression, bullet slightly pushed into rifling. Muzzle velocity about 1290 fps in 20C at 5000feet, less than 50% humidity. It is very clean burning in my rifle. I quit using it because my mangled shoulder did not do well with even 15 shots in row.

Going to loads mangled shoulder does tolerate -- at least last year -- resulted in 1100 or so FPS with same bullet and about 50gr Swiss 1,5F, and, of course, a multi-wad column to bring bullet into snug fit into rifling. All this in Starline or reformed Win brass. Same basic load with Saeco 640 is at least as good, perhaps better grouping. Putting Lyman 300 grainer for .405Win in top -- not touching rifling -- gives larger groups, but chickens never complain. Hope to try RCBS 300 grainer this year for pigs, maybe turks.

My basic, underlying requirement is same as for wipers and blowers -- uniform bore conditions from shot. Difference is that I build that into load itself.

NONE of these loads are even close to acceptable with any Goex powder, even the highly touted Old E. They develop hard powder fouling in less than 10 shots, powder fouling I never could remove in time available between relays. BAD misses!!

Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Grisen, What lube do you use?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint