Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What would it take? (Read 2503 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

What would it take?
Mar 29th, 2016 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I was wondering what it would take for some one to gear up and fill the 22 RF shortage?  I'm beginning to think this is a gobbermint conspiracy to keep kids for starting  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What would it take?
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
And us big kids from just having fun Sad

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Bob, soon I won't be able to afford the cost of rimfire shooting and will have to stick to the .32-40.  I picked up a couple of boxes of RWS R50 and they were more than $30 a box.  I can definitely shoot the .32-40 for less.  Rimfire does make for less casting time though.

Chris.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester,

If you can lay your hands on a copy of the NRA publication Ammunition Making by George E Frost, it will give you an idea of what it would take.

Interesting that 22 RF supply continues to be spotty in many locations, yet Aguila did a run of 22 Winchester Automatic RF for the old Model 03, and Fiocchi did a run of 9mm rimfire that works in the Win Model 36. 
The price that can be charged per box seems to be the determining factor in production.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Champion Shooter's Supply regularly has Norma, Wolf, and SK match ammo, usually has Eley, and sometimes Federal 711B.

Checkout (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (url has been shortened for convenience)

I realize that these are not "kids" ammo, but they're a lot cheaper than RWS at $30/bx.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking to kid's plinking ammo to get them interested  and having fun. I used to get Blazer for about $10 a brick in Tacoma before Sandy Hook  Cry  After that, they wanted $60.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I think it is letting up some. I see more and more ammo available and the price has come down. The max allowable purchase quantity has gone up. Let's keep Hillary out of office to prevent a recurrence.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Bob. Thats why I switched to Air Rifle OH and BR....5,000 shots for $100.00, though I,ve shot OH with my FWB 300s for about 12 years, the BR Game is pretty impressive.I shot BR50 with Air and stayed within a couple points. Cost for there Match with Eley, about $60.00, my match a couple bucks.............I hate it that 22RF has gotten out of hand also........

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint