Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Casting trouble can someone help. (Read 11867 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Casting trouble can someone help.
Reply #30 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 1:33am
Print Post  
boho wrote on Mar 30th, 2016 at 7:26pm:
I did notice something about the sprue hole the counter sink is not all the way to the bottom of the plate to form a knife like edge. It stops short 1/32" or so.
That doesn't seem right. But I am not having any trouble with cutting the sprue it cuts nice and clean. I will keep the temp lower and look for burrs, maybe try the Scotch Brite.

I ha ve seen that on one or some of my molds. I don't remember which or how many.  It worked just fine and I didn't worry about it.

BTW, I hate whacking molds to cut the sprue off. I twist it using an insulated leather work glove.    

I hate whacking molds to get bullets out.  A gentle tap on the handle's hinge pin should do it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #31 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:27pm:
Every two piece mold has a burr at the edges of the cavity. ...              Joe.

My feelings as well.

I use a different solution.
Apply a mix of Tungsten Dioxide powder (or titanium dioxide) in a silicone grease to the mating surfaces (NOT in the cavity).
It ends up as a dry lube after being heated.

Being a lube, the alloy will not stick to it.  That keeps the bullet from sticking in the cavity.

My theory may or may not be correct; but it DOES work well.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

ryan26
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
OP, look at the surface with a magnifier of some sort, I bet you will see what is giving you grief.
And unless I miss my guess, it will be melted lead from heating the mold with a bullet in the cavity.
Clean up the mold, and then heat it on a hot plate instead.
The fact that it used to drop better than now leads me to believe it's your technique that is faulty, not the mold.
Could be the mold is not getting hot enough too, because of having a bullet in there.
Try that before you do something drastic that can't be undone.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I just had a simular problem with a mould I just cut and it was driving me insane as the cavity was well centered yet the bullet did not want to come out of the left side. I had an AhHa moment and determined it had to be a burr in a lube groove and or grooves? I put some lapping compound in the grooves only, inserted a cast bullet, drilled a center hole and slowely turned it backwards with an easy out while holding the blocks closed using a small tap handle. When the area in the grooves only were cleaned up I stopped. The mould now works just fine and now is a real pleasure to use and no longer a real pain. 

I used Clover lapping compound sparingly so I had re-apply it a few times as I did not want to increase the size but to just clean up any sharp edges from any burrs. It tried to locate them with my magnifers so I could gently scrape them but they remained unseen to my eyes so I decided to just lap it.

I hope this helpfull.
JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Val I was suprised something unseen to the eye could cause so much grief, your process would indeed be quite a bit more safe for a novice to use. It doesn't take much lapping compound to start changing the dimensions.

Thanks for sharing!
JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint