Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Casting trouble can someone help. (Read 11865 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Casting trouble can someone help.
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
If you watch the sprue harden, it will show you when to to swing the cutter.  It shouldn't take long te get the hang of it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Every mold is an individual, they are all different and depending on size of both the cavity and the blocks the temperature that the mold wants to cast will vary. Jones blocks are very large and hold heat well also a .40 cal cavity will want to cast at a lower temperature than a .32 or a .25. 
  As far as wait time to shear off the sprue if you use a lead / tin alloy once the sprue goes solid a 2 or 3 count and it should be hard all the way through. If you are using a alloy that contains antimony the alloy will go through a slushy stage you must wait longer to get a clean cut.
  This is a good time to mention doing something to maintain your sprue plate. Most mold manufacturers that use commercially supplied blocks use plates supplied by the same manufacturer. Quite often they are punched out on a press and then countersunk. The holes in the sprue plate should be sharp! If they are not sharp they will not cut they will tear. Take some time and make sure your edges are sharp if not lap them on a lapping plate this will also flatten the plate you may be shocked the first time you lap a plate as to how not flat they are.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:31am:

This is a good time to mention doing something to maintain your sprue plate. Most mold manufacturers that use commercially supplied blocks use plates supplied by the same manufacturer. Quite often they are punched out on a press and then countersunk. The holes in the sprue plate should be sharp! If they are not sharp they will not cut they will tear. Take some time and make sure your edges are sharp if not lap them on a lapping plate this will also flatten the plate you may be shocked the first time you lap a plate as to how not flat they are.

40 Rod

Excellent point.  Too many details are buried in our "common knowledge" and never mentioned to the beginners.  Then, they have to learn the hard way  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
40_Rod, what is a lapping plate?  I'm a computer guy and know very little of the things that are common knowledge to gunsmiths and machinists Smiley

Thanks,

Chris.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Flat plate with some abrasive on it like 400 grit.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 2:43pm:
40_Rod, what is a lapping plate?  I'm a computer guy and know very little of the things that are common knowledge to gunsmiths and machinists Smiley

Thanks,

Chris.

Told ya so Cheesy  Chris, Put some 320 - 400 grit sand paper on something flat and solid such as piece of  glass plate.  work it around a little to smooth, flatten and take off any burrs.  You can use a little water for lube. If it is really bad, start with a courser grit.  A WORD OF CAUTION not too course.  All those scratches from the courser grit will need to be smoothed back out.

IP Logged

ryan26
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I suggest heating the mold without a bullet in the cavity. I think you have something in there causing the bullets to stick.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Every two piece mold has a burr at the edges of the cavity. The duller the cutter the bigger the burr. When you cast bullets the cavity gets dirty from dirt/dross in the lead. Dirt will build up along the burr and cause sticking. As stated earlier, bullet molds can be off center, magnifying the problem.

I use a microscope and an Exacto knife to remove the burr.  Simply running a hardened piece of tool steel along the burred edge may solve the problem. A piece of drill rod? Music wire? 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Thank you gents!

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
U R welcome.  While you have that flat plate and fine grit paper, you can touch up your plane irons too  Shocked

IP Logged

Aonghas
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 7:10am
Print Post  
boho wrote on Mar 27th, 2016 at 7:14pm:
I was thinking the same thing about it being too hot. They don't show frosting but I have been lazy with the thermometer and can't remember using it lately and  I am sure it's over 800 degs. I will keep it lower next time and see if it helps. The bullet always sticks on the left side but I doubt that there is an alignment problem but there will be if I have to keep hitting it so much. Is it really OK to use Scotch Brite inside the mold it is an abrasive after all. I guess there could be burrs in there. If you say it's alright I may give it a try. Thanks. 

Look at the colour of the surface of your molten lead when it reaches the right temperature for casting - if not known, you'll have to experiment.

Molten lead will go through blue and brown - (molten lead with a straw-coloured film is ideal for tempering springs).

Remember, molten lead will vapourise, so make sure your area is well-ventilated.

--
Aonghas

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I would not do anything more to a Paul Jones mould than a very minor polish to get rid of the flash, and steps to keep it away, as described.

Jones owned a tool-grinding shop down in LA and decided to make his own moulds when he couldn't find what he needed for his Schuetzen and BPCR shooting.  He made cherries for Redding's first black powder moulds and used the relationship developed to buy their finished but uncut blocks for his own moulds.  Word of mouth and the tiny ad he ran:  "When you care enough to send the very best--Downrange" got him a back order situation for the rest of his career.

Every set of Redding blocks, which was already good enough for Redding moulds, was ground on all surfaces for right angles, finish and fit, and a third alignment pin attached.  Sprue plates were similarly ground to fit. He rough cut the cavities with cherries like those he sold Redding for their finish cavities, but lathe-bored the cavities on his moulds to final dimensions, and checked the dimensions by casting bullets out of the alloy the customer specified and putting them on a comparator before they left the shop.  A Jones mould will barely show a parting line and the runout is typically below the limits of the measuring instruments.

So before setting up your glass plate and sandpaper, hauling out your files, scrub brushes, Exacto knives and steel scrapers, ask yourself "Is my Mickey-Mousing around really going to improve this mould, given what has gone into it already?"

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
The only issue I ever had with  a PJ mold was it was too tight for air to escape.  The only time I ever saw a bubble up through the sprue casting!  Grin  I carefully, and lightly traced the vent lines with an engraving tool. Problem solved.

IP Logged

boho

Reply #28 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Hey thanks for all the info. I really like the Paul Jones story,Thanks. I did polish the bottom of the sprue plate. It was flat and cleaned right up with 220 then 320 paper on a surface plate. I did notice something about the sprue hole the counter sink is not all the way to the bottom of the plate to form a knife like edge. It stops short 1/32" or so.
That doesn't seem right. But I am not having any trouble with cutting the sprue it cuts nice and clean. I will keep the temp lower and look for burrs, maybe try the Scotch Brite.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #29 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Try cleaning it with warm soapy water and a tooth brush. Most likely just dirty.

Think Scotch Brite has abrasives in it. Will round sharp edges. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint