Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Old shooter, new member and Schuetzen match (Read 1555 times)
sharps4590

Old shooter, new member and Schuetzen match
Mar 26th, 2016 at 7:36am
Print Post  
I've been aware of ASSRA for more than a few years and have at times browsed this excellent site.  Recently it seemed I should register and stop lurking.  I shoot several single shot rifles of domestic, German and Austrian make.  The American rifles are reproductions and the German and Austrian are originals.  I shoot both black powder and smokeless powders beneath cast bullets depending on what the rifle was proofed for.

The second half of the title has to do with a fairy recently acquired  "Original Haenel Aydt" Schuetzen rifle. It is chambered for a cartridge neither I nor anyone of my fellow German Gun Collector Assn. acquaintances has been able to identify.  It seems probable that the barrel has been freshed out and chambered to a straight taper version of the 8.15 X 46R.  That or some shooter or gunsmith of the past had an idea he wanted to try.  Groove diameter is .345 and case is easily fireformed from 30-30 WCF brass.  Square up the case mouth and trim to length.  Simple.  Anyway, I digress...

When the dies arrive for this rifle and I get it shooting to my satisfaction I would like to put it to work.  Is anyone aware of Schuetzen type matches not far from the central Missouri area?

IP Logged

sharps4590

Re: Old shooter, new member and Schuetzen match
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I cast the chamber and slugged the bore within an hour of it arriving at my residence some 5 months ago...which would be how I know the groove diameter, got the case dimensions to post on the GGCA site and knew what to make it from.

Axel Eichendorff and another gentleman in Germany who have considerably better resources than me when it comes to identifying German and Austrian cartridges couldn't find it as a normally or even infrequently chambered cartridge.  The speculation of the origin of the cartridge came from Axel and I can find no evidence to disagree with him.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:47am by sharps4590 »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:40am
Print Post  
We have a match in Iowa in Sept. Davenport Shooting Association. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Thank you bnice!  Sadly that is a bit beyond my ability to drive these days.  Sounds like a great time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint