Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Muzzle clamp or barrel vise? Does this idea work? (Read 2331 times)
Roscoe
Participating Member

Muzzle clamp or barrel vise? Does this idea work?
Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I was reading the Loading & Shooting Paper Patched Bullets by Randolph S. Wright and on page 78 he describes the use of a "muzzle clamp" with a photo. Viewing the photo, it looks like a light weight barrel vise.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

He uses it to rest on his front rest in order to;

1. "It keep the rifle plumb from shot-to-shot while mitigating some of the rifle torque generated during firing."

2. "It helps to consistently reposition the rifle on the front rest from shot-to-shot."

Anyone tried this approach? 

I know that Gene Beggs from Benchrest Central makes something similar to these for his custom .22's, but I have really never seen any discussion on them.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Muzzle clamp or barrel vise? Does this idea work?
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Rosco in our group of competitors you would be hard pressed to find someone who does not use one. I use a custom made sand bag on my front rest due to reasons explained on the same subject in the Gunsmithing section that is currently going on.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Muzzle clamp or barrel vise? Does this idea work?
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:21pm:

Many top shooters that have developed excellent bench technique, management of pressure on the rifle, and bag control do not benefit from these devices.

Newer shooters do benefit from this tool that helps prevent barrel canting on recoil.

I have spent enough time shooting both to say they are two totally different ball games!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint