Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 Schuetzen butt plate modification (Read 9390 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44 Schuetzen butt plate modification
Mar 25th, 2016 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Guys,

I bought the very nice (pictured below) Stevens 44 some time ago with the intentions to use it for .22 BPCR silhouette competitions using smokeless ammo.  I know .22 BPCR competition using smokeless ammo is a misnomer, but that’s the way it is.  Anyway, to be compliant, the rifle cannot have a Schuetzen–style “hooked” butt plate, at least that's my understanding of the rules.  So, do I modify the existing butt plate or is there a better solution?  Comments appreciated.

Wayne

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2016 at 1:35am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

J.Francis

Re: Stevens 44 Schuetzen butt plate modification
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:10am
Print Post  
I wouldn't touch the stock you have; it won't be hard to find another stock to use in competition.Nice rifle!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:59am
Print Post  
CPA should have replacement casting that you could modify and fit to be compliant so you can keep the original original and put away for safe keeping. The last one I bought was about a 100.00 or so and you will still retain the matching wood and finish on the rifle and if done right few will know that it was changed.

Call and talk to Gail.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I fit a hard rubber shotgun type butt plate to mine.  I think the rule is a one inch max gap between the top and bottom of the plate but better check the rules.   It was easy and cheap.  It just took a zillion removals to sand it to fit.  CPA has the plates.   

Dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
If that is a original butt plate, I agree with John.

I can't tell from the pictures but, it could be either a #2 or #3 Stevens butt plate. If it has a little scallop at the top, it's a #2, if it ends in just a curved surface, it's a #3. CPA doesn't have, nor can you buy a newly manufactored, replacement #2.

Pictured is the difference between them. #3 on the left.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Make a replacement the shape you want out of wood...

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.

Frank, based on CPA's website and your photo I'm pretty sure it's a #3.

After everyone's comments and further thought, I definitely will not modify the existing butt plate.  I like the idea of either fitting/forming a thin hard rubber butt plate or Terry's suggestion of making a replacement out of wood.

BTW, I did not mention it earlier but another modification will be to declick the external adjustable mounts.  The scope is a 10X Fecker with Fecker mounts.  I've have experience declicking Unertl & Fecker mounts so it will not be a major task.  The recoil spring will also need to be removed from the scope.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:00pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Wayne, you can shoot it as is at Schuetzen matches such as
at New Braunfels, down your way. The Schuetzen matches  generally have both bench and Oweful hand matches at their
Vereins.
And in meanwhile, can make up a wood or rubber pad to replace the hook buttplate for the 22 BPCR Silhywet.
You won't need that spring anyways on the scope for a .22
either for bpcr or Schuetzen.

beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
beltfed wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:49pm:
Wayne, you can shoot it as is at Schuetzen matches such as
at New Braunfels, down your way. The Schuetzen matches  generally have both bench and Oweful hand matches at their
Vereins.
And in meanwhile, can make up a wood or rubber pad to replace the hook buttplate for the 22 BPCR Silhywet.
You won't need that spring anyways on the scope for a .22
either for bpcr or Schuetzen.

beltfed/arnie

Arnie,

I currently shoot large bore BPCR silhouette once a month at New Braunfels (CTSA) and twice a month at Yaupon Creek (YCSA), which are 160 miles & 180 miles round trip respectively.  So I'm already racking up a bunch of miles per month & will have a hard time fitting in another match.  So I'm in no rush to jump into .22 BPCR, but do want to have the rifle ready when I get a chance.  YCSA holds .22 BPCR matches once a month as does HOTSA near Coolidge, TX, which is about 260 miles round trip.

BTW, I've got a shooting friend that has tried to get me interested in Schuetzen at New Braunfels, but I'll pass.

Wayne

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2016 at 8:57pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
I guess I don't really appreciate your jab at our association's name, Wayne.  Lots of people shoot smokeless in their BPCR rifle, does that make it not a BPCR rifle?  So if I load my 45-90 Shiloh with smokeless it is apparently not a BPCR rifle, but it is if I load black in it? The name fits perfectly in that it is a BPCR rifle in which one shoots 22 shells.  All of the rifle specs are the same as NRA competition, except the cartridges which are limited to 22 long rifle, so it is in fact, by definition, a BPCR rifle in which one shoots 22 shells!!!  I don't know why you feel the need to keep bringing this up as it appears like you are bashing us a little by accusing us of having a stupid name.  If you ever get around to attending a match you will have a great time and quit worrying about what it is called.
take care, Cody

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 12:08am
Print Post  
CodyS wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 11:37pm:
I guess I don't really appreciate your jab at our association's name, Wayne.  Lots of people shoot smokeless in their BPCR rifle, does that make it not a BPCR rifle?  So if I load my 45-90 Shiloh with smokeless it is apparently not a BPCR rifle, but it is if I load black in it? The name fits perfectly in that it is a BPCR rifle in which one shoots 22 shells.  All of the rifle specs are the same as NRA competition, except the cartridges which are limited to 22 long rifle, so it is in fact, by definition, a BPCR rifle in which one shoots 22 shells!!!  I don't know why you feel the need to keep bringing this up as it appears like you are bashing us a little by accusing us of having a stupid name.  If you ever get around to attending a match you will have a great time and quit worrying about what it is called.
take care, Cody

Cody,

I was not aware that I took a jab at any association in this thread.  If anything my remark was directed at what the competition is called.  And I stand by my comment that it’s a misnomer.  Certainly smokeless can be shot in a BPCR, but I find it amusing when it’s called .22 BPCR but smokeless ammo is used and is fully compliant, which is certainly not the case with large bore BPCR competition.  So don’t take it so personal.  I have no doubt that, if I can find the time, I would enjoy participating.  Hence the reason I bought the rifle and plan to modify it to meet the rules.  So let’s shake hands & I’ll buy you a beer if we ever meet.

Wayne

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 1:48am
Print Post  
To limit the confusion of shooting smokeless powder, in a BPCR 22rf match, you could breech seat the the ammo, using BP.

Something to think about.

Just tryiing to help Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I look forward to meeting you one day, Wayne, and respect all you have done.  Just do me a favor and quit talking about how our name is a misnomer on the internet.  It is not a misnomer, and the name is not going to change.  Lots of people have spent countless thousands of hours volunteering to get the 22 BPCRA going and running.  I firmly believe your inability to talk about it without calling it a misnomer or otherwise commenting on the name sheds a bad light on the association which is completely untrue and unnecessary.  Lots of people are listening to what you are saying, why don't you try putting a little more positive light on the subject instead of giving people who may have never heard of it before a bad thought from the beginning.
take care, Cody

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 1:48am:
To limit the confusion of shooting smokeless powder, in a BPCR 22rf match, you could breech seat the the ammo, using BP.

Something to think about.

Just tryiing to help Smiley

Frank

Frank,

That's good.  Wink  In that case would breech seating .22 bullets with black powder appropriately be called .22 BSBPCR?    Roll Eyes Grin  Grin

Sorry Cody, I could not resist.  BTW, you give me way too much credit and not enough credit to other shooters.  I can’t believe that my viewpoint concerning the name would diminish the interest of others.  It’s certainly not going to diminish mine.  Although I may view the name .22 BPCR as a misnomer, as I noted, I have no doubt it’s a great shooting sport and is a cheaper & less labor intensive way for shooters to get involved in silhouette competition.  Enough said on the subject, which is not the intent of this thread.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:26pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Frank,

That's good.    In that case would breech seating .22 bullets with black powder appropriately be called .22 BSBPCR?

Wayne,
Of course they are still cartridge rifles. All single shots are cartridge rifles, we histortically shoot them with cartridge cases. As soon as the cartridge case became popular, we have just chosen to shot the bullet breech seated Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint