Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) HighWall & Borchart Values (Read 10905 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

HighWall & Borchart Values
Mar 24th, 2016 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
I was at the local gun show and two guns showed up of interest but I did not buy because I think the prices are a bit high for today. Anyway, I am just wondering general valuations on guns like these (Buy price vs sell price):

1) HighWall N 104,xxx standard everything, 30", #3, 32-40, gray gun but tight, rifling good (darkened lands, better grooves) but not match quality by any stretch but better than full pitting, smooth gray metal finish on everything, the only bad part is the receiver had a couple pea sized deformations right behind the trigger from a hammer. Asking price was $2,200

2) Borchart military rifle SN 300 PV3 on top of receiver ring, no other blemishes, smooth gray finish on all. Asking price was $2,200

My mind has the values in the $1,200 range since neither is a collector and in general you would be buying it for the action and other parts.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

chawk

Re: HighWall & Borchart Values
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
The highwall sounds like a perfectly honest shooter and would probably be used as such.  Without seeing it, $1200 feels like steal and $2200 is too much.  $1600 or so feels fair.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
  What does "PV3 on top of receiver ring" mean?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
The PV3 is stamped in big letters (not certain if it was a 3 or a D) so it may have been a militia marking. SN 300 puts it at the exact  end of the CHinese contract but there was no chinese charactors on the barrel.

GTalk  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 7:45am
Print Post  
bohemianway wrote on Mar 24th, 2016 at 9:16pm:
The PV3 is stamped in big letters (not certain if it was a 3 or a D) so it may have been a militia marking. SN 300 puts it at the exact  end of the CHinese contract but there was no chinese charactors on the barrel.

Contrary to popular belief the Chinese Contract Borchardt's were not the first were not the first to be produced. Certainly they were the first military order received. The delivery of these rifles was delayed much to the annoyance of the Chinese Gov't due to the Sharps Factory wanting to get their Creedmoor version ready for the US National Team. The first production Borchardt serial no. 0 was a Creedmoor as were many others under the 150 serial number range. It would appear that the Chinese Contract rifles were not consecutively numbered but varied considerably in their serial no. range. As indeed did all the different variations produced. None of the variants would appear to be a set production run of consecutively numbered items.

All the Borchardt variants could be made from the standard military action and it would appear that the only explanation for the way the serial numbers are all over the place is that the variants were made to order only. When an order came in, an action would be taken from a rack where finished actions were stored and the additional machining required for that model would be carried out and then it would be fitted with a barrel of the required calibre and stocked as per order. Essentially every Borchardt other than the military model was a custom made item built solely to order.

I cannot comment on the value of a High Wall action I don't have enough knowledge to do so, but a Borchardt military rifle in near factory new condition with it's original cleaning rod  would be worth a minimum of 8,000.00 USD. But only because they are so scarce. Hundreds of Borchardt's were made into 'Varmint rifles' thus destroying most of their original features, such rifles with white spacers on the stock and a worn out barrel provided the action is sound will get, 1,500 USD. Creedmoor rifles have sold from 25,000 to 80,000 USD at auction but these are rare items in near perfect condition and most will probably never be shot again, but rest in the rifle collections of the wealthy. If you want to build a rifle on a Borchardt action look to buying an action only. Action parts are currently available but that may not be so in the near future.

Harry

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Hello Ken,
Sorry if I was in error over the future of BRC's spare parts for the Borchardt. BRC's actions at 2.500 USD doesn't seem a bad price at all when you consider they will be made of better quality steels and probably will be better constructed than the original Borchardt which was produced by semi skilled labour. 

As for my health, my Bowel and Lymph node cancer are in remission, but I am awaiting an operation on my Liver cancer and an MRI scan last month showed cancerous lesions on my lungs. It's damned tenacious this cancer disease but I'm determined it's not going to win. I'm not one to give up to the Grim Reaper. Smiley

Harry

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Hello Ken,
Thanks for the 'Good Vibrations' they are all welcome from anyone.
Harry

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Harry,
Keep the faith and they'll never get ya.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 4:38am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:32pm:
The High Wall sounds way high to me, and sure not what I get for them. I sold a 1885 Special Sporting at Reno last November. single set trigger, half octagon #3 30" barrel in .32-40. Mid range vernier, globe front. Deluxe XXX wood, small Swiss buttplate. Early octagon top receiver.  Put $2300 on it, and it sat on the table for two days. Lots of lookers, but no buyers. Finally sold it to my traveling partner for $1900.
hey Val did you offer it for sale here? I don't remember seeing it.

John

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Vall, you should have sold it up here in Canuck-ville.  I've seen highwalls up here with bulged barrels and crap wood sold for nearly that price just to get the action.  Mind you our dollar is worth less these days.

Chris.

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I was workin in AL when you sold it, I was all moneyed up. Lol. I'm a sucker for rifles with good sights!

The guy that got it stole it. Good to see good deals being had anyway.

John

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Mar 26th, 2016 at 3:40pm:
Harry,
Keep the faith and they'll never get ya.
Aaron

Aaron, thanks for your good vibrations, they're much appreciated.

Harry

IP Logged

jarmann
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:33am
Print Post  
a few weeks ago at the antwerp anique arms fair" Musket"
there was a nice militia/military sharps borchardt for sale
in very good condition  with original rod 
jarmann

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 10:45am
Print Post  
jarmann wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:33am:
a few weeks ago at the antwerp anique arms fair" Musket"
there was a nice militia/military sharps borchardt for sale
in very good condition  with original rod 
jarmann

Hello jarmann,
Did to note the price it bought, Borchardt's are so rare in Europe.

Harry

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Hang in there Harry, best wishes. It's always interesting to read what Harry's up to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint