Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Starline Brass Available (Read 11874 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

New Starline Brass Available
Mar 22nd, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
.32 S&W Available Now!

.32 S&W (Short) (Small Pistol Primer)

The .32 S&W, not to be confused with the .32 S&W Long, was originally designed as a black powder cartridge for use in small, inexpensive pocket revolvers. Starline's new .32 S&W brass has been designed for safe use with both smokeless and black powder, in revolvers chambered for .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal Magnum.

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Re: New Starline Brass Available
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I know it's all about volume but I sure wish they'd start making 32-40 brass.    Wonder if we all called them at once if it would do any good.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I know about "start making 32-40 brass". I event went to the extent of buying a bunch of 38-55 brass with the thought of remaking them into 32-40's. I'm having all kinds of trouble forming the necks. They want to kink in on me. Does anyone make a step down die or maybe a die with a pin or rod inside to keep the brass from folding in?
I've quit trying to reform them for the time being until I can get more good parts out.

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

PeeJay

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I have a couple hundred 32-40 made from 38-55 that my brother did for me, he was having the same problem you describe until he started using One-Shot case lube instead of a lube pad. seems the problem was too much lube. By the way, I am on my sixth or seventh reload with no neck splitting issues yet.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Another thing that you can do to lessen the number of cases lost during reforming to 32-40 is to run a expander plug into the 38-55 case before reforming.  This will help to keep out-of-round case mouths from folding rather than sizing down uniformly. Use case lube very sparingly - I have used Imperial sizing die wax, but as PeeJay notes, others have had success with One Shot case lube.

I also feel that if you push the case to the back of the case holder and hold it, even lightly, with a finger, the mouth may enter the die off-axis and fold.  I see this when I get in too big a hurry reforming 32-20 to 25-20, in which instance, the case mouth folds, tears, and ends up looking like a flower petal.

I also

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I reformed 30-30 and 38-55 brass by preforming the cases using a .32 Winchester full length forming die first. I also lubed the cases using Imperial sizing wax. I did not loose any cases.

ron

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
If you are having trouble reforming 38-55 (Which I also had trouble with folding) if you can find a quantity of 32 Special they form much easier and come out just very slightly long. I have been able to fire form them beautifully and then shoot them as is. HTH, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm having all kinds of trouble forming the necks. They want to kink in on me.
As posted, excess lube being squeezed against the case wall in the die - will 'kink' a case as sure as the sun rises.
The lube I favor that doesn't kink cases is Bag Balm. A very light finger rub of it on the case is all that is needed and also lubes the ID of the FL sizing die
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ... note text for a use "shell casings"

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
And, just in case you didn't know, Starline brass absolutely must be annealed before resizing.

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks all that answered, seems you guys are hitting my problem on the head. I did lube heavily because the cases were sticking and in response I put on more lube.
I was wondering about the annealing, and thinking of trying my hand at it. I gotta test that factor out now.
But, thanks a lot. I appreciate the suggestions.
Jack

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Bag balm is a good lubricant for treating dry wintered hands and cows love it, too. 
I never thought about it being a sizing lubricant.
Years ago, I took a pottery class at the college where I taught. The professor kept a large can of bag balm on a shelf above the sink where students washed up. I was complaining about how my hands were burning from being so dry. He pulled down the can of bag balm and had me rub my hands with it. Every day I would go by the pottery lab and rubbed my hands real good with that bag balm. I still keep a can of bag balm around for use in the winter for chaffed hands.  I have never uddered another complaint about dry hands.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
FITZ wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:28pm:
If you are having trouble reforming 38-55 (Which I also had trouble with folding) if you can find a quantity of 32 Special they form much easier and come out just very slightly long. I have been able to fire form them beautifully and then shoot them as is. HTH, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ, I have some fired .32 Special brass. Would you mind giving me your procedure (powder load, filler), annealing? the .32 Special brass for fire forming to .32-40?  Do they need to be annealed and if so, how far down the case? The bore on my rifle is .312 and I am casting a .313, 170 gr. bullet..Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2016 at 8:54pm by GeorgeC »  

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
GeorgeC wrote on Mar 23rd, 2016 at 7:35pm:
Bag balm is a good lubricant for treating dry wintered hands and cows love it, too. 
I never thought about it being a sizing lubricant.

I never thought of that either, but should work well. When I was growing up, we used it as originally intended  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I've been using Bag Balm exclusively for about 4 years now for lubing and reforming brass.  I'm about 1/2 of the way through an 8 oz can because so little is needed as a lube - just a thin finger swipe on the case & not every case has to be swiped.  And never have had a case 'kink' doing it this way.  Good example are lubing 25-21 long thin wall brass and reforming 348 thick wall cases 
FORMULA: 0.3% Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate in a Petrolatum - Lanolin Base 
Drug stores & the bigger pet stores carry it and if they don't ask them to order it.  I got mine at Walgreens

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I just know I'm gonna get it for this but sorry guys the devil made me do it. Was in a local CVS drug store and saw this one. Beaudreau's Butt Paste. Yep and I'm serious. Doctor made it up for babies butts. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint