Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Frontglobe Insert for Silhoutte Targets (Read 6656 times)
Rolling45-70
Participating Member

Frontglobe Insert for Silhoutte Targets
Mar 21st, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  

may you can answer to my question

due to the fact the Ram,Pigs and their friend are not centrical round like a bullseye i was courious what are the most used Front Globe insert`s on the Range

thx for an information

Klaus  Smiley

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Frontglobe Insert for Silhoutte Targets
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
.125  round   art

IP Logged

bleukahuna

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I always used a square post, and so did most the folks I shot with(one guy used double peeps) I would hold on the foot of chickens and turkeys, belly on pigs and rams. Of course target color and lighting conditions will influence hold points and settings

IP Logged

MRL
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
When I was Shooting silhouette I used either the thinnest post if visibility was good, on days I could not see as well I switched to the widest post. Most of the other shooters used a front circle that varied in size depending on conditions. Today everybody is getting up in years and seem to be switching to scopes.

Mark

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I preferred an aperture when I could see back in the day.  Used one on a low wall shooting  NRA rimfire silhouettes against all scopes   Grin  Depends on your eyes and want works.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
By far the most common is the aperture insert. I'll shoot about 25 matches a season, including 4 or 5 regionals and the nationals and it is unusual to find someone not shooting aperture inserts in their globe sight. Many, if not most, will change the aperture diameter depending on which animal they are shooting. I like the heavy inserts that Distant Thunder offers, but many folks use the smaller thickness inserts. Am lucky enough to shoot with the person who has arguably dominated BPCR over the past 10-15 years (several times nat'l champion and holder of many nat'l records). At times when the light is bad he has gone to a thin post and even no front insert in order to get enough light to see the target (animal).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Is anyone using Lee Shaver's slhoutte aperatures?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
     I have been doing this for more than a few years now, and as the eye-sight fails a bit have been trying different things.    The heavy apertures usually found with the Lyman target sights are good on paper bullseyes, but the thinner-rimmed ones do better for me on silhouettes.  I tried a "caliper" type front, with thin posts coming in from the sides, but it was hard to get one just right.   I found that I could get a good sight picture on PIGs and RAMs with an upside-down post (desperate, here!), but couldn't pull the trigger.   60 years of hand-eye coordination with a post UNDER the target is hard to re-train.  I really think most folks will do best with the THIN rimmed apertures on these irregular targets with poor contrast.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Smoke wrote on Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:20pm:
Is anyone using Lee Shaver's slhoutte aperatures?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

A few of use have tried, but none that I know of have stuck with them. No longer sure where mine are. Been that long ago.

As Chris states, most folks use the thinner apertures (from MVA, C. Sharps, Lee Shaver, etc.), but some of us prefer the thick from Distant Thunder.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 7:11am
Print Post  
For what it's worth,

Years ago,I ran a test with arpeture front sights at 10 Meters on the official NRA paper silhouette target. Air rifle rested indoors. It will put every pellet in one hole so I assumed error was sighting error.  Target is scaled all shots at 10 meters. Visual is the same as outdoor targets gun zeroed on a bullseye target then no more sight adjustments. .

Chickens and Pigs the hole was perfectly centered animal facing left or right. However the Pig target showed wider horizontal dispersion. Not a lot but noticeable .  Moving to the turkey target there is a very small bias toward the Breast  

Ram was the significant difference. Strikes moved toward the head . Difference right facing and left facing ram was about 3 MOA.  Mass of the head pulls the strike 1 1/2 MOA .  About because dealing with such small targets precise measurement was difficult.

My takeaway is error so small it can be ignored CPT  Rams if one bank or your zero is right facing and you have to shift to left facing make a wind adjustment.  Of course wind being the significant factor at 500 tweaking a point or too may be dressing the sight picture up too much. Still it's good to know what the sight is doing.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 7:24am
Print Post  
More than you want to know about sights.

Everybody's eye is different but I am sure my shot placement on silhouette targets is better with a small post and bead, but and its a big but, if the front sight gets fuzzy I will get strikes high enough to miss over the back. Long run groups 40 shots on a paper Ram tight groups with the odd flyer when my eyes went fuzzy .

That does not happen with arpeture but and another big but, my group sizes are larger with arpeture sights. Typically No flyers in 40 shots  just a larger shot dispersmemt .

Better if I had younger eyes. 

Boats

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 8:04am
Print Post  
As I've gotten older I find that a larger aperture seems to work better especially on the turkeys. Like Glenn I prefer the thicker ring on the aperture and I usually put in two, the one I plan to shoot with and the next larger one to give me the thicker ring. 

Once in foggy conditions I used the upside down post on pigs and turkeys as Chris mentioned with good results. I tried it again on a better vision day with not so good results

IP Logged

Rolling45-70
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 11:12am
Print Post  
thx  a lot for your huge replys 

on last Saturday i have just used a 4 post aperture and a Lollipop  but it seems that the Post Insert would give me  closer results.( 100 m / Papertarget   Bucket )
with the Aperture Sight i feel that i need to do hard targetwork ... a bit to much space on any side and it`s  results in a miss

let you know.....

Klaus  Smiley 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 11:23am
Print Post  
It's very individual I have shot 10 M Airgun at Bullseye targets indoors with a lot of High School and College shooters, all use a post. It's bullseye width and they use a bottom of bull hold.

If you can focus smaller the front sight better you can pick the spot on a Silhouette target. If you can Focus is the question.

Apertures are much easier on my eyes. Post and bead I only get a few seconds of sharp focus, If I can't get the shot off it's close my eyes then try it again. Some times as many as 3 or 4 tries before I get a good sight picture.

Boats

IP Logged

Rolling45-70
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 11:38am
Print Post  
actually i can hold a post much quieter than a aperture maybe it would change in the next time we all growing older 

but i will do my work on target and shoot with aperture for the coming future.... Smiley

Klaus

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint