Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rust? The answer to our dreams! (Read 4518 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Rust? The answer to our dreams!
Mar 18th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
My wife found this first link and I could hardly believe it!!!

The one shown in the video is 1000 watts but, they start at 12 watts and we could probably get by with that.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There is only one draw back. After looking on the site for a while, I wasn't finding a price listed so, I clicked on the "contact us" link and found this:

Please note that unfortunately we DO NOT OFFER our products to private persons.
Our laser systems start at a price of at least 50,000.00 US$ for our low power units.

It's one of those things that, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it Sad

Come on guy's, someone needs to buy this, I'll volunteer to supply parts to be cleaned Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Rust? The answer to our dreams!
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Some of my parts from 3 Parts Boxes that were under 36" of salt-sand and mud water from Super Storm Sandy.  How were they cleaned?  Same way I clean my spent brass cases.

Rotary Tumbler - K-Polish 3mm Media and Strat-O-Sheen Burnishing Solution.  Parts were run in the tumbler for about 1 hour   Then all the parts went into the bluing tank and Pretty as Pretty Could Be Smiley 

Discussed this approach with my gunsmiith ... Bruce gets jobs to de-rust barrels and actions.  So he made a couple of capped end PVC pipes - one end connected to the lathe - other end on a roller ... Ba da bing, ba da boom - Cleaned and reblued if needed
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2016 at 11:43am by »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
So, we remove red rust to apply that darker and harder rust we call "bluing", which eventually brakes back down to what we call patina which is the reappearance of red rust.      Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Won't work Vall only 4607 members.  Dang!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Muriatic acid is a lot cheaper, but use it outside and watch the wind and fumes, and your parts.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I saw that story linked somewhere, just today.   I'll stay with my electrolytic method for 1/1,000 of the price, I guess.

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I'll stick with oil.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
All is not lost Frank.  AS Joe says a good oil will work.  If that fails, a couple electrodes and 12 watts will get 'r done  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Gents,  

When I get hold of something really rusty and want to see what's left of the original surface polish, I let it soak in a saturated solution of common household vinegar and salt.  Pour all the salt that will dissolve into a gallon or two of vinegar.  A little extra salt won't hurt.  When you're sure the solution is saturated (no more salt will dissolve), pour off the liquid into a different container.  A common 4 or 5 gallon plastic pail works well.  Suspend the rusty stuff in that solution and check it every so often to monitor progress.  Warmth speeds up the process, but the heavier the rust buildup, the longer it will take.  Parts will appear ugly, slimy red and or black, as if nothing good is happening, but when ready will easily wipe clean to bare metal while flushing in fresh water.  In most cases, spray rinsing will wash it all away.   Wear rubber gloves or your hands will smell like metal pickles.  (Not good).  If rust remains, throw it back in the bucket for a while longer.  Works on everything I've tried it on with great results.  Never had it do any damage, but I don't leave it soak for days on end without checking on it.  Dry and oil immediately to prevent further rusting.  I've used it on darn near everything, logging chains, hammer heads, axes, cast iron frying pans, tools, including some highly finished, precision machinist tools, fasteners, even little bitty gun parts.   Maybe not as fast, but somewhat cheaper than that laser.

Hayface

Any pitting that shows up, was there but filled with rust before you dunked it.  Try it on some rusty junk first to get a feel for it.  Most folks who try it run out of rusty stuff to soak within the first week.  The solution can get really ugly and still work.  I’ve been told there’s nothing toxic, so it’s safe to pour down the drain.  
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 9:57am by Hayface »  

IP Logged

Wincacher
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Tried this a couple of years ago and it works - for slightly less than $ 50K!

Wayne
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Gee, with this many ways to remove rust, I ought to move somewhere that it's a problem Grin
Nah, I'll just stay in the dry where not much rust happens.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint