Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Falling Block Works action (Read 7382 times)
Blexter
Ex Member

Falling Block Works action
Mar 17th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I am a newbie on this site and request some info help please.

I have a fully engraved (aftermarket) J model FBW's action.  It is from the early 70's and never been barreled - 40+ year old new.
I have not decided whether to sell it or finish it.  If I finish it, what caliber and  barrel (round/oct) etc.
I do not know the market and have not been able to find much about it's value.  I will post pics when I figure out how.
Any info will be appreciated

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Re: Falling Block Works action
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
A 32-40 is never a bad idea  Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

blk43

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
As recently as two years ago I bought two actions from Mr. FIX who is the owner.  The actions were $400 each and it's my understanding he is sold out.  I just purchased a complete rifle for $800 which I thought was exceptional.  Depending on the quality of the engraving it may be worth $800 to $1000, to me at least.  No offense meant, just my opinion.  I have 4 of the actions and love them.
Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

Blexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
This action will accept almost anything up to 45-70+
It would be easier to chamber for a rimmed case because the extractor would need serious modifying for a rimless case.
32-40 would be fine
The question is,  I don't know the interest for such an old case as opposed to 7.62 Russian or 30-30 for example.  Does nostalgia rule or a more popular case?

What are the most popular "western" rounds or does it matter?
thanks

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Up until about a year ago a new Model J from Leo Fix the maker was $400.00. He has no more left to sell and I beleave he and his brother will not be producing anymore all though parts are still available from Leo. It in my opinion is simply one of the best actions ever made, strong, reliable, easy to work on and a very good adjustable trigger. Add the cost of the engraving and it should give you a good idea of its current value. Cartridge choice would be what you might desire and if interested in Schuetzen competition 33-47 or 32-40 would be both excellent choices. Some like full octogon, some full round and others half octogon half round it would boil down to what you like. I just recently built one in 28-35 in the traditional style for competitive use. In our group of Schuetzen competitors there are now eight and one Model K in various calibers and styles and most all them were just recently built. A little over two years ago and years prior there were only a couple being used by our group.
My Model J was new and unused from the 70's and I picked it up from a smallbore shooter at the club for $350.00.
Here is a picture of a couple my Model J 28-35 200yd. practice targets from this morning, a pair of 249' to give you an idea of what accuracy a stock action can provide with no alterations and the trigger adjusted properly.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
And the rifle I built to my own liking. You might have pan it sideways to get a full view?

JLouis
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:37pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Here's a link to a thread from the forum about a FBW. You could always build one like this.

If you do decide to sell, please give us the first chance at it.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 7:29am
Print Post  
IF I was planning a rifle for bench or OH shooting, breechseating. Smokless powder, I'd go with a RKS gain twist barrel, in a 32 cal.  Chamber one of the cases using the 357 mag/max. necked down. 
But not a 32 Miller short. That was a PIA, been there.

I have two and would never go back to 32-40 or 38-55 or any of the longer cases.
A FBW is not a trad action so why go with a trad loading?

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2016 at 7:37am by »  

IP Logged

Blexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I appreciate all the input.   
Yes, I agree it is not a traditional action so I am open to suggestions.
Unfortunately, the engraving mandates very nice wood and I can't "justify" (if that's possible with toys) the expense...... so, this post

the action has a lot of grease on it

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Blexter all though it is not a Traditional action you could still build a beautiful Traditional Rifle around it to go with the engraving. When finished most will think it is a HiWall from a very short distance. If you do decide to build yourself a rifle you will truly enjoy the simplicity of the action.
I would also contact Leo Fix and purchase some spare hammer coil springs while he still has some on hand as they do tend to break from time to time and maybe one or two extra extractor blanks for possible future use as the parts are very inexpensive.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
The price of a wood blank is a relatively small part of the cost to machine, fit and finish it. I like wood with fancy figure, but to my eye, the perfect blank is tight straight grain through the fore arm, Then matching tight grain that follows the wrist, and maybe half or two thirds of the butt with some figure, even on both sides. Kind of boring to most folks, but put the time or money into crisp sharp lines and contours during finishing. Just a thought is all.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
CPA will sell you semi-inlet stocks for that action for a very reasonable price.  Machinng + Fancy wood is less than $400.   
That is less than you would spend on sights or a scope.  That being said I understand where you are coming from.  Building a custom rifle is never cheap.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
IF I was planning a rifle for bench or OH shooting, breechseating. Smokless powder, I'd go with a RKS gain twist barrel, in a 32 cal.  Chamber one of the cases using the 357 mag/max. necked down. 
But not a 32 Miller short. That was a PIA, been there.

Just my thoughts.

Why is the Miller short a PIA?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 7:24am
Print Post  
My first Miller was a miller short, very hard to extract cases after a few firings, would have to size the web after a couple firings to swag it down.
Went to the necked down 357max cases, same load, bullet etc, less  all problems gone.
I'd guess the pressure was different.

I'd never suggest 32 M short or have it again.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 8:00am
Print Post  
I've been shooting a .32 MS since 1996. Using the same two hundred cases I started with. Never been re-sized. If I ever have to re-chamber it, will be 8.15X46R. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Mar 19th, 2016 at 8:00am:
I've been shooting a .32 MS since 1996. Using the same two hundred cases I started with. Never been re-sized. If I ever have to re-chamber it, will be 8.15X46R. 

Joe. 

Joe, Is that so you will have a rifle you can take to Germany to shoot with Biggi?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint