Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hats off to SSShooter (Read 4084 times)
SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Hats off to SSShooter
Mar 16th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Just thought I'd offer some appreciation to SSShooter for some help rendered.

Shot my first BPCR Silhouette this past weekend.   In other conversations SSShooter learned we'd be at the same event and offered to shoot with me and a friend, who had not been this route before either.  It was a great help to have someone in our relay who had knew the ropes and could provide some guidance and tips along the way.

Sure appreciated the help Glenn.   Hope to apply some of the lessons learned in the future.  It was a real pleasure having you with us in our relay.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hats off to SSShooter
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Thanks. Happy to help. Other than the wind and the rain and the cold and the mud  Wink................ its was a great match. You and Bill both did well for your first time out. Get an aperture sight on the front of that 40-63 and that will be a big help. 

That 38-50 Cody Ballard is going to make an awesome Schuetzen rifle if you can find a match or two to shoot it at. Maybe while you are in ID you can get over to Cody to their matches. 

See you 'next time'.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2016 at 12:06pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 9:30am
Print Post  
This is what the ASSRA and Single Shot shooting in general is all about. Experienced shooters helping new shooters and both finding new friends.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks SSShooter.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Glenn,  (or anybody else)

Trying to prioritize some things I should add for smooth operation on the line.   Gonna take a while to get it all but far my list includes:
1.  Range Box   
2.  Shooting Box   
3.  Magnetic or cork spotting boards
4.  Wiping rod with brush:
5.  Nylon Jags:   
6.  Wiping patches   
7.  Timer
8.  Better scope stand

I'll probably try and get spotting boards and timer first.   Do you recommend the magnetic or cork.  And do you know a good source for the timer.   Hadn't seen one like the one you had.  Didn't know if it was specific to our sport or not.

I made note of your box from Woody and I'll hopefully make headway on building a range box over the next couple months but those cork boards seemed essential so thought I'd start there.   

Anything I missed?

Thanks,  John
oh and btw... I know I need a Soule and Globe for that 40-63.  I'll be working on that; probably go with MVA since I have a base for that and maybe distant Thunder or Steve Baldwin for the globe - hopefully have it remedied by the next shoot, though I'll have to get all new sight settings.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
1 & 2 are for personal convenience, only. While I find them convenient, lots (most?) of folks get by without them. The rest you will want. Cork-board or magnetic are personal preference. Both work fine. As long as you will not be shooting prone you will not need a mat, horse-blanket or elbow pads. I get my timers off of eBay. Any simple cooking timer works. Have even seen folks using analog timers and the line-caller at Friendship uses a photo-lab analog timer with an internal buzzer.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Glen my Hat goes off to you! 
Helping new shooters is also my passion.
When Rick MacHale came up to see his first Schuetzen match I asked him to hang around until it was over. I then set him up on my bench and posted some new targets and told him shoot it all you want or until your trigger finger falls. He became a close friend, he bought a 32-40 Ballard shortly there after and ended up being one of the top shooters in the nation. He lived three hours away so he would come up the day before right after work and spend the night with me and the wife. We would spend the evenings sharing everything I had learned to date and he would soak it all in and put it to use. He made it into the top three at our club in very short order. Had he just looked around and left I am not so sure he would have gotten into the sport. Once he sat down and shot my CPA 52 32-40 after the match to his hearts content he was hooked big time.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Rick MacHale;

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
If I'da shot Glenn's Hepburn I'da probably followed him home!

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 8:27am
Print Post  
John - both of your Ballards (Cody & original) were very nice rifles. And, they both shot well (considering the conditions, 7 rams in a row for you was terrific in that wind & rain) and that blade front sight on the original that obscured the smaller targets for Bill.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint