Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington No.1 Sporter Sights (Read 3378 times)
GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Remington No.1 Sporter Sights
Mar 14th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Who made the tang and globe sights for the custom shop Remington No.1 rolling block Sporter rifle? 
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016 at 7:23pm by GeorgeC »  

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Remington No.1 Sporter Sights
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Numrich (Gun Parts Co) carries parts for the later made Remington RB1 sporting rifle.  I bought a front globe sight in pieces.  The bottom of sight hood is marked with an "A" inside a shield.  So at least in the early days, Axtell supplied sights.  Even if you buy the parts today, you may get some that are nicely finished, others that need more polishing but are blued and others that are rough and in the white.

... Joe

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Joe, thanks for the feedback. I think Remington always farmed out their sights from what I've read. Seems like for the last 20 yrs. or so QC has not been so important with Remington.

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I found out that the RB-1 in the picture is a Silhouette Model and they came without sights. I contacted the owner and found out he was selling it for the widow of a deceased friend. He said they were after market sights and he was not sure of the make.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Numrich has the proper globe sight. You have to purchase all the individual parts, which is a bit of a pain, thouigh they are all listed together. The list the entire sight as "out of stock", so it costs an additional $20+ to purchase all the parts.

If you could post a picture of just the tang sight we might be able to identify for you. However, it is too small in the pic of the entire rifle.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Well, I solved my sight question.  I wound up buying the rifle I posted the picture of. The sights are Shaver. Lee Shaver's name is on the side of the tang and it has a Hadley eyepiece. The front globe looks like one I bought from Lee. The scope bases are spaced for probably a 28"-30" MVA scope.   

The rifle looks like new.  No dings or scratches that I can find. Wood fit is a little better than typical Remington custom shop. The single set trigger is smooth and light. 

The next best part is that it had a low (for the RB-1"s) starting bid and no reserve. I opened with the starting bid and nobody else bid on it.  It also came in a hard case pack in a box. 
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Kiss
GeorgeC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint