Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard Rifle general questions (Read 5232 times)
Londonshooter
Ex Member

Maynard Rifle general questions
Mar 11th, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Hello Shooters.  New member and enjoy the site so far.
I have a Maynard in 30-something chambering.  It's a centerfire post 1882 with extractor.  Stock and mechanicals in not bad shape, seems to be all working fine with strong hammer spring, travel cock works, firing pin seems ok.  I wish my .308 had as crisp a trigger.  Barrel bore is not horrible but barrel exterior pitted and scratched and sights were removed (yeah, I know).  The hardware for the tang sight is all there, just the sight gone.
1st question is, short of making a cast of the chamber is there a way to determine what cartridge it shoots?
If I caliper the barrel and find its 0.32" (or .35") does that mean that all the 32 cal (or 35 cal) chamberings will work with it (or is there a different chamber length for each)
If I want to just go with a replacement barrel, or a parts gun with decent barrel, are they hard to come by?  What kind of price would that command?
If I wanted to just sell it, what would be price range I should be looking for?  Mechanically ok, no screws missing, varnish on stock is not refinished (and shows it).  But barrel (28") is sketchy.  No cracks or significant scratches in buttstock, but one imperfection is a chip out of the checkering on left side of stock.  
Finally, would it be a major pain to either ship a barrel to Canada, or for me to ship rifle to buyer is US?
Thanks for your consideration.  I attached a couple email-size photos.  Working on getting better pics but for now these give you the general idea.  Haven't had any success yet getting a useful image of the bore but will keep experimenting with that.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2016 at 2:05pm by »  

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Rifle general questions
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
There were quite a few Maynard chamberings in 32 caliber. from the 32/20 WCF, 32/35 Stevens, 32/40 WCF and 32/40 Remington and possibly others. A chamber cast will help you identify the caliber. the 32/40 Remington was actually a 30 caliber with about a .309 groove diameter. The others varied from about .312 groove to .321 groove diameter

You have a late 1882 with the firing pin retaining nut and a non-standard butt stock. The checkering is definitely after market. 

With no finish, no sights and a rough overall condition you're looking at a low of about $500 upward if you find someone interested. Maynards are always in demand but most folks want one in better condition. 

Extra barrels can be difficult to find when you want one. It seems they show up when I'm short of cash or trade stock.

I can't tell you anything about shipping to and from Canada.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Londonshooter
You will want to do a chamber cast not only to identify the chambering but to see what 125 years of cleaning has done to the original chamber dimensions. Slugging of the bore will also add additional information, especially if the chamber cast doesn't include the barrel.
I like the checkering pattern and it appears to be well done. Is the checkering of the flat top variety? If so, it may have been done in England.
Since the Maynard rifles are generally antiques, the US rules regarding shipping are very lenient. Isn't the situation similar in England, regarding antique rifle ownership? If so, you might find a ready market at home.
Your Maynard may be a little rough and missing some parts but this may be an advantage, if you have a desire to restore it.   It doesn't look abused and I'd bet that it would clean up nice. They are good shooters and will definitely stand out among all the Martini rifles on the firing line.
A nice reproduction tang sight is available from S&S Firearms. New barrels may be hard to find but the original Maynard barrel is probably heavy enough to clean up outside and may be accurate enough to suite your needs, without the need for a liner.
I should warn you that collecting, restoring and shooting Maynard rifles may be addicting.
Otto

IP Logged

Londonshooter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Chipmaker:  Indeed antique firearms can be bought and sold freely in Canada however the definition is related to caliber, not just age.  An antique rifle is only an antique if it is a singleshot, manufactured before 1897, and bore measures greater than 8.3mm between land and groove (0.3268").   

Yes, the checkering highs are flat in the English style - (very perceptive of you).

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 10:23am
Print Post  
LondonShooter, if you do decide to sell it, it'll probably fetch a better price up here.  I'm a Winchester single shot fan myself, and most of the rifles I see in America are priced well under what we would pay locally.   

How does the barrel look on the inside?

Chris.

IP Logged

Londonshooter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I appreciate the feedback everyone.  I've had this rifle for a long time but haven't seen another in 'real life' so that shows you I travel in different circles from the BP single shot crowd. 
Couple photos finally of the bore.  Barrel is 28" with rear 8" in 1" octagon and 3/4" round muzzle end.  Its exterior is rough.
The bad part:  I could feel a rough spot with cleaning brush in the last inch and 1/2 of the barrel.  You can see here that its rust.

IP Logged

Londonshooter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
And here's from the breech end.  After messing with flashlights for an hour finally figured how to do this.
Chamber is tough to photo but looks perfect.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
You may find that with a bit of light work on that rust that it will be a shooter. You never know until you try with these old rifles. Some very suspect 'looking' barrels shoot very good.

Fellow on the bench next to me a couple of weeks ago must have worked for 15min removing lead from his bore after every 14-15 shots. I ask why he didn't get a different barrel and he said this is the best shooting barrel he had ever owned and he wasn't going to let a bit of leading deter him.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Mar 12th, 2016 at 8:28pm:

Fellow on the bench next to me a couple of weeks ago must have worked for 15min removing lead from his bore after every 14-15 shots. I ask why he didn't get a different barrel and he said this is the best shooting barrel he had ever owned and he wasn't going to let a bit of leading deter him.

How well was he shooting?  Worth the effort?  I have had a couple that leaded some and they were beatable by nonleaders    Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Hint for old neglected bores:  After normal cleaning fails to get the rust out, brush with a brass brush, then clean the oil out with soapy wet patches, follow with wet water patches.  Then whittle a HARD wood plug and drive this in the muzzle.  Get some Evapo-Rust from the hardware store or Tractor Supply type store, stand barrel on the plugged muzzle and fill-er up with the Evapo-Rust and let stand overnight or a day or two.  Pull out the plug and note the crud that comes out.  Wash and dry/oil it.  Shoot it.  Then if all else fails, smear the nose of one or two bullets (preferably lead ones) with a dab of FINE valve grinding compound and shoot them!  Obviously a desperate move but I have saved a couple of barrels that way.
So, call me a heretic!  It works.
James

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Mar 12th, 2016 at 9:43pm:
SSShooter wrote on Mar 12th, 2016 at 8:28pm:

How well was he shooting?  Worth the effort?  I have had a couple that leaded some and they were beatable by nonleaders    Roll Eyes

Master.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Londonshooter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
All, here are the chamber dimensions as measured off a casting.
A fellow tells me it looks like 32/35 Stevens Maynard.  Anyone think differently?

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
It's not a 32-35 Stevens. The base is too large and it's too long. It appears to be more like a 32-40 Ballard or Winchester. The Stevens cartridge would have a base diameter of .400" and shoot a bullet of about .313-.314" diameter.  The Ballard cartridge would have a bullet of about .320-.321"diameter. Slug the barrel to see what you have.

IP Logged

Londonshooter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone, for your input.  I'm meeting with a fellow this weekend who is interested in it.  He has rifle and shotgun Maynard barrels already and is looking for a better stock and receiver than what he currently has.  If we do a deal, then will let him pursue the question of what this barrel is.   
best regards,
John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint