Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hole size (Read 3159 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

hole size
Mar 6th, 2016 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Is there a correct drilled hole size on the rear sight disc? Thanks for your answer, Hank

IP Logged

win 32-40

Re: hole size
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Multi size selection such as Hadley rotating style or adjustable iris is helpful to select in varying light conditions have to test each time out in conditions
I find that the smallest rear aperture I can use that day helps sharpen in the image of the target Bull

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 8:21am
Print Post  
I agree entirely with Win 32-40.  However, recently had a terrible day at the range with a Merit aperture.  Absolutely NO fault of the sight.  Somehow, one single, extremely fine, straight strand of lint got stuck in the blades of the iris aperture and remained in the opening through changes in size.  I found that I could shoot one aperture larger and one aperture smaller than my preference slightly better, but the usual choice for such conditions at my home range created all sorts of visual problems.  No matter what I did, I could not sharpen the front sight.  Tried cleaning at the range by blowing on it and even  resorted to using a small splinter but was unable to see the problem until I got back to the shop where bright lights and magnification allowed me to see it.  Higher pressure compressed air cleared things up and got me back to shooting my usual "wish they were better, but not entirely lousy" groups. 

Lesson learned for me was no matter what size the aperture, it has to be impeccably clean.  And, this old fossil has to start carrying a 5x magnifier with him everywhere he goes.

Hayface

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Along with everything else as factors in choosing the best size for specific conditions, our eyes tend to drift a bit and change over time. I have several rifles with the new Marbles tang sight, and since the large discs have an aperture too small for me to see anything but fuzz, I drilled out a set of four discs with about .005" between each of them, and keep them in a little case so that when I get to the range, I can see which size seems best for a particular rifle. Once I settle on the size, then I drill the medium sized disc to the right size, then I work on the next rifle, choosing the best size, etc. The distance to the rear sight from my eye seems to be a major factor, so I try for the best compromise between front sight clarity, dimness from diffraction, and my vision. Having the set of stepped apertures is handy, too, when there is a "non-standard" day, light-wise, at the range.

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave,

Good catch on that sharpen the bull statement.  I sometimes amaze myself how I can read what I'm thinking instead of what is written.  Can't even begin to count how many times coaches have emphatically stated, "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight".  And sometimes pushups were involved, lest we forget.

Hayface

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
When you are using a scope, the word front sight changes to the word CROSS HAIRS. 

ron

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Yes I know that the front sight focus is fore most. What I was meaning about rear size aperture adjustment helped me define target bull ,  was later in life with cataracts and other vision problems I could not see the bull at all and you have to know where it is.
I was happy when I could go to a smaller back sight hole that brought the target back to a point where I could shoot
I did not mean that target focus is foremost. Now with eye operations and eyeglasses I thankfully can see much better
Sorry for my confusing post
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2016 at 10:05pm by win 32-40 »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
You have to get a optimum combination of front and rear sizes.  As my vision deteriorated, I needed larger front apertures. A few times I just used the front globe without an aperture.  That is when you are getting close to just wasting ammo  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I figure I'm lucky that I can still focus the sights up pretty sharp. On some older rifles that I don't want to change or alter the sights, it can be a bonus to have a front globe sight. Sometimes it doesn't matter what's in the globe, it's such a mismatch that the whole globe is the front aperture.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint