Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) waving the flag... (Read 9230 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: waving the flag...
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 10:38am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 9:29am:
Boats we have Horses and Cows, one sticks his arss into the wind and the other his head.

JLouis

John I think I shoot with a couple of those guys ! not many just a few

Agree with you too much information is as bad as not enough. Pick a wind indicator and stick with it is my advice.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 11:08am
Print Post  
My flag placement depends totally on where I am shooting. My first flag goes 10 to 15 yards out. After that my flags go out at approximately 35, 75, 100 and somewhere between 125 and 150 yards. As I go down range to place flags I try to place my flags so they are not being blocked by trees or hedges. They will both allow cross winds and eddies. It’s those odd little puffs of air make the difference between 248s and 250s. 
When shooting with friends whose flags I know I will place mine in-between theirs so that the three of four of us can sample more wind. I can’t keep too many balls in the air at a time so by half way through the first day I have 3 or 4 flags that are telling me the condition I’m looking for and the rest I just monitor for major movement.
I always keep a quick eye out to the other flags on the range that are into the wind you can watch conditions travel across or up and down the range that way.
40 Rod

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Well, this has been instructive. Good stuff, you all. If I ever decide to compete, what I'm gonna get is two or three seagulls. Good wind dope, and they would give me a little advantage with the other shooters snickering and all.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:58am
Print Post  
When I made my set of wind flags, set them up on lawn to try them out.  Wife takes a look..and says...Oh..wind callers!  Thats about right..just about every time I set them up at range..the darn wind picks up!  I'm the only guy at club using them..get some funny looks...but then, I'm the only one shooting cast in rifles, so they figure I"m just weird.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 1:10am
Print Post  
We have an impromptu 200 yd 22 match a few times a year.  I'm the only shooter with a wind flag. So far, one has been enough  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
It's a good idea to use some sort of wind indicator with these slow moving old bullets.  It really doesn't take a lot to move them around and spoil a good target if you are not compensating.   

One of the ranges I shoot at has a ton of mirage. It's basically a 200 yard long rock quarry that is open on two sides.  I like to shoot there with just one flag at the line and mostly rely on the mirage.  It's very educational.   

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
As you can imagine I have told that Seagull story many times, it's true never fails.

We have a Red Tail Hawk that perches beside our clubs 600 yard range .  Guy kept watching him Looking for wind indication after hearing about the seagulls.

Hawks don't sit nose into the wind. They perch facing food.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 9:09am
Print Post  
What I’ve always wanted to do is set up smudge pots that would let out a thin stream of smoke at 50 and 100 yards. Then you could watch the smoke.

40 Rod

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Dry Ice?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint