Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question about gallery targets (Read 10918 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Question about gallery targets
Reply #15 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Jeff may want to weigh in here but I can tell you for a fact that the ASSRA targets are copies of the old 75’ bulls. They are now shot at 50’ because most galleries that is all they have. I recently have seen a target that was scaled correctly for 50’ they are so small it will be hard to score.

40 Rod

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 9:45am
Print Post  
What the hell difference does the target size matter, IF all are shooting the same sized target for the scope or record or whatever???

Give it a break  gawd

The targets are not going to be reprinted or changed.

IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #17 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 10:43am
Print Post  
40-Rod is correct and I agree with Keith as well.  Our 50' targets are official for the ASSRA and ASSRA sponsored events.  If anyone else wants to print their own idea of the ideal 50' target, that's ok as well...go for it.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 11:02am
Print Post  
This same thing comes up every so many years, SOS.

Either people forget or just want to complain or try to change everything.

IF there were changes to targets any new records would have to be *'d to differentiate scores etc.

I do not see gobs of 250's shot the way it has been for decades........

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
2 explanations: 
#1: I am not trying to change what we do.  But the Tuesday Afternoon Schuetzen Verein competes (+/-; with more - than +).  We have only an outdoor range, where one of the guys brings the 50-foot target boards from home.  If the wind blows hard, the target boards blow over, or, like last Tuesday when George's back went out, the 50-foot boards did not show up.  We shoot on the club pistol range, with fixed target boards at 25 yards.  On "No 50 foot" days, we shoot at 25 yards.  As you might expect, our scores are much reduced.  Hence my question "What does a 75-foot target look like?"

#2:  I have been doing a lot of shooting of Shorts, trying to determine the accuracy potential of the present day stuff.  But how do our results compare with the accuracy of Shorts back in the gas-light days?  There were lots of very high scores recorded.  In my tests of modern Shorts, I used our gallery targets at 75 feet, from a machine rest.  Many modern (post WW2) shorts will not consistently hit the 25-ring, but from the records, all the Semi-Smokeless Shorts would cut the 25-ring.  

Example:  The indoor Hudson matches of 1898-1909 were won with scores of 2475 or better.  And that was offhand!

Hence my question "how big was the 75 foot target back in the gas-light days?". Were those old Shorts really that good?  Or was the target just a bit bigger?
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:31pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
So, if SchutzenBob's target is correct for the gaslight era at 75 feet it is no wonder they shot high scores since a 250 at 75 ft would be the same as keeping all of your 32-40 shots inside the bull on the small bull scope 200 yard target. Having done that myself at Coors one would expect there to be many 250's shot at 75 feet.
On the 1/4" 25 of the current ASSRA 50 foot target at 50 feet would equate to a 5.3" ring at 200 yards (approximately a 22.5 ring) I assume there are 250's shot on this target also.

I do not disagree with keeping the ASSRA target as is I am just putting forward the thought that a high score at these shorter distances is not a big surprise and why that is (bullet diameter is a significant factor when score edge of ring and scaling distance). Personally I use the ISU air rifle targets for practice since they have fine rings.

Charles
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:45pm by bohemianway »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
I posted earlier that I received via snail mail an original gas-light (or maybe incandescent light on a cord with a string) target from Dave Arawinko.  The 25-ring is 15/32" or .4875" and the black (20-ring) is 1 and 15/16".  That is bigger.  So all shots at least cutting the 24 ring would be 30/32".  

Back in 1917, in The American Rifle, Townsend Whelen wrote that with Shorts, using fresh ammunition (shelf life 6 months), from rest, with a good rifle, a good shot should be able to keep all shots within a circle the size of a Mercury dime.  That's 0.700".

My thinking is that if you can shoot a 240 on our gallery target, you might have squeaked out the odd 250 back in the gas-light days.  Can you shoot 10 scores of  240 or better in a row?  If so, I think you might have been in the running.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016 at 3:26pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

Winnetou
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Alas, the Electric City Rifle Club targets on eBay have been sold. Is there any other source for these?

Back in the day, semi-smokeless .22RF was reckoned to be the most accurate, compared to straight black and smokeless powder loads. The discontinuation of semi-smokeless target rounds, after WWII, was widely lamented by target shooters. Phil Sharpe, in his reloading book, provides an exhaustive description of the complexities and dangers of producing semi-smokeless powder, so it is exceedingly unlikely we will ever see it return to the market. But I have often wondered how a mixture of black and smokeless powder would perform in comparison.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
A couple of guys have tried with black and 4227, and (AFAIK) only in .22 LR. The mixture ratio is about the same as in duplex loading, about 90 % black and the rest smokeless.  You can mix the two together, but with any jostling, gravity takes over and you wind up with a duplex load of questionable uniformity.  As I understand it, the present smokeless powders all have greater density than black.  To make a mixture gravitationally stable, both kinds need to be the same density and grain size.

Semi-smokeless was not only more dangerous to make than either smokeless or black, it had a short shelf life.  The smokeless component was not stable over time.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
That Air Rifle 10 M target is a challenging one for sure.  And not hard to score, rings are fine and the center is just a dot. Touch the dot you get a 10, all the matches score with a magnifier. Never saw a scoring dispute.  

Boats

IP Logged

Winnetou
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Yes, the settling out of the denser powder would be a problem, unless the charge is under compression, which would not be unreasonable. But it would likely be difficult to get sufficient uniformity, even to begin with, for top target results.

Although smokeless powders have a greater energy density than black powder, the specific gravity is actually lower. Wikipedia gives—

1.70–1.82 (mercury method) or 1.92–2.08 (pycnometer)

—for black powder.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Data sheets for IMR give—

—for both single and double base smokeless powders.

The specific gravity is lower still for Trail Boss, at—

Still, the problem remains, of course!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
The trials of mixing black & 4227 came about during the time when several guys were experimenting with breech seating 22 LR.  If someone were to pursue this, straight duplex loading would probably give better results.

IP Logged

vp146b4
Participating Member

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 8:31am
Print Post  
We shoot both rimfire and centerfire matches on the standard 50' target. I score the centerfire matches from the center of the bullet hole, no matter what the caliber is. I use a mylar overlay that has lines at the scoring rings. My overlay is old and getting more difficult to use. Do anybody know where I could buy one commercially? I know I should be able to print one from my computer. If I got stuck doing that, what is the diameter of the 25 ring, and what are the distances between each ring?

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  
The bull is .1875" each ring is .09375" wide
thats a 3/4" bull decided by 4 for the width of the rings devide that by 2.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint