Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) High Wall 22 LR? (Read 11160 times)
waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: High Wall 22 LR?
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 1:46am
Print Post  
This is a bench rest rifle, right?  Don't know about modern production, but the original walls had firing pins that hit the rim smack in the middle of the spring-loaded extractor & ejector.  That is a potential source of inaccuracy if you are a benchrest shooter.  Also, the old-timers knew that Ballards had faster lock time, plus a stock attached with a through-bolt.

I still have 3 Winders; I dearly love two of them.  But when I dream about benchrest 250s, a couple of Ballards find their way to the pickup.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Mar 2nd, 2016 at 1:46am:
This is a bench rest rifle, right?  Don't know about modern production, but the original walls had firing pins that hit the rim smack in the middle of the spring-loaded extractor & ejector.  That is a potential source of inaccuracy if you are a benchrest shooter.  Also, the old-timers knew that Ballards had faster lock time, plus a stock attached with a through-bolt.

I still have 3 Winders; I dearly love two of them.  But when I dream about benchrest 250s, a couple of Ballards find their way to the pickup.

I was just going to say the same thing... while the first custom 'wall I owned was a 22 LR copy of the special sporter built on a 3rd Model Winder action, my Ballard 22 is my go-to rifle in this caliber.  The rimfire extractor design for the 'walls is great for getting out recalcitrant fired cases, but does nothing for accuracy.

There were a couple of discussions on this board about 10 or more years ago between FITZ, the late Treeblood, myself and others about this very phenomenon and what, if anything could be done about it.  Nobody really seems to have solved the problem.  The basic design leads to inconsistent ignition due to movement of the extractor under the rim... and without radical redesign this can't be changed.

Froggie

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
That is interesting. I did not know that about the .22 Winchesters.  What sort of accuracy could be expected at 100m from a well built low wall in .22LR?

I shoot .22LR in a highwall, but with a Crossno liner in a CF action.  I am quite impressed with the accuracy as I have been able to put ten shots into a minute of angle in calm conditions from a rest.  This requires expensive ammunition of course.  Would this sort of accuracy be a reasonable expectation from a well built rimfire 1885?

Thanks,

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Mar 2nd, 2016 at 4:37pm:
That is interesting. I did not know that about the .22 Winchesters.  What sort of accuracy could be expected at 100m from a well built low wall in .22LR?

I shoot .22LR in a highwall, but with a Crossno liner in a CF action.  I am quite impressed with the accuracy as I have been able to put ten shots into a minute of angle in calm conditions from a rest.  This requires expensive ammunition of course.  Would this sort of accuracy be a reasonable expectation from a well built rimfire 1885?

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris, Precisely determining the effects of the subtle variations are very difficult.  How much does the big heavy hammer on the side of a Sharps affect it, or the varying lockup of a rolling block, or disturbing the set up of a Maynard to reload shooting on the bench? 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 7:41am
Print Post  
watchthewind wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 8:10pm:
Thank you for all of the input guys Smiley I'm still kicking around ideas. I know I want to go the route of an 1885..........
I have emailed C. Sharps regarding them building a benchrest rifle. So I await their reply.
Scott

Excellent choice. Assume you are aware that you can purchase just the complete coil-spring action with SST from CSA or the complete flat-spring action with SST or DST from MVA. If were my money for a benchrest rifle, would go with the complete action and send to DZ Arms in OKC to have it barreled and their extractor installed. It is considerably more positive (like the Ballard's extractor) than the original 1885 extractor and removes any of the "possible" accuracy problems with an original extractor. DZ Arms also does excellent wood-work.

Another advantage of going the action/DZ Arms route is that they will use any barrel you might choose. They put a Shilen 'rachet rifled' barrel on the .22LR they built for me and it is a tack-driver.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
or you could just purchase a Martini in .22, and have an even faster locktime and a proven action, easy to load.  For BR, one of the International models would do well.  You'd probably be able to rebarrel and restock a rifle for the price of a hiwall action (a bit more, actually)...  And probably get a more accurate rifle too with a way faster locktime and an extractor that's almost able to put the cases into orbit Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Well I ended up pulling the trigger on this Smiley
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Well every Martini needs a glass so I picked this up  Wink
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
We have our first outing today!

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Let us know how it shoots.  I imagine it is a tackdriver.

IP Logged

Bill40718

Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Looks great Scott.  Smiley
I can't wait to see it in person.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Well today's first outing went well. I'm looking forward to more sessions at the range Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint