Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Valuuation required on CPA 44 1/2 (Read 4356 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Valuuation required on CPA 44 1/2
Feb 27th, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Guys
I have a CPA Stevens that I'm considering selling as I have just got another and don't need three.
The rifle has two barrels, one is a 38/56 Douglas barrel and the other is a 45/90.
The rifle has deluxe wood and is in perfect condition, sights are by either Kelly long range soule or a mid range Baldwin ( your choice )
The rifle would come with approximately 60 cases in each calibre plus loading dies for both. Also included are three bullet moulds in .38 cal and three in .45 cal, all moulds are custom, two from Paul Jones, the others from BACO etc.
I'm considering selling in the US as opposed to Australia owing to the favourable exchange rate at the moment.
Any advice as to the value of this total package would be appreciated.
Complete loading data for each calibre and targets shot would come with the rifle.
Mike.

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Re: Valuuation required on CPA 44 1/2
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Mike,
I would suggest looking at past auctions of the Amoskeag Auction Co. in Manchester, NH.  They have sold several CPAs in the recent past and you can see what the guns sold for in the US.  Also look at other Internet sites that sell guns like the Arizona Sharpshooters site.
Rich

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I also suggest calculating the cost for the outfit if new today.  You might get close to the new price but I suppose you will have to pay the shipping and import costs.   

Dave

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Way I price things for sale is take the new price then factor a percentage.  CPA ? perhaps 75 % of new price if it's configured in a popular style and caliber . Perhaps a few points more or less depending. I factor into the selling price major extras like sights throw in brass and small stuff to sweeten the package.

Another thing to consider if listing on this forum you avoid auction fees.  I sell anything new through a fairly large internet dealer next state over. He's a square dealer and pays me on time, something not all do. Still cost me about 1/3 of the sale price all cost considered to list with him.  

You are spot on Aussie Dollar compared to the US Dollar. Having traveled to OZ since 1982 lived there 96-2000 always paid attention to the exchange rates, right now selling in the US is the thing to do

If you do ship to the US, dealer I use is import licensed and experienced, not real expensive compared to some. Send me a PM can give you his name.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I think it's worth maybe 1500-1600 hundred dollars american. I'm interested by the way.  Roll Eyes

How the heck would we know what it's worth? It's your rifle, you know what you have in it as to funds. Your price should be no less than what you have in it  or above. Inflation in the US is rampant. Take advantage of it.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Another consideration for the prospective buyer is import fees, and shipping cost. The exchange rate might be good for you, but adding these, plus any other fees incurred, might make it less desirable to a purchaser here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the reply's, I didn't think there would be import restrictions or fees as the rifle and barrels, plus the bullet moulds, breech seater and loading dies were all of US manufacture. If possible I would like some further clarification on this as it could influence my decision. As rough estimate I have about US$3450.00 tied up in all of this.
Rifle       $ 2500.00
4 Moulds $   600.00
B/seater  $   150.00
L/Dies      $ 100.00
Brass       $100.00
Loading data   Priceless.
Mike.
Mike.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Well here is what I know about it.

You might be right, Although It could depend on how the CPA action is marked, Mine don't say USA. Ambler PA or Dingmans Ferry PA is the mark, as a general rule US goods exported get a customs form before they leave the county, coming back they walk right in no paperwork at all no matter how they are marked.

My German made Anschutz 54 formerly owned by the Manly NSW Small Bore Rifle Club had to be imported by a licensed US Importer and receiver marked with his name. No duty at all, only the importers fee for handling the transaction and stamping the action.  100 dollars I think it was, Neal Johnsons Gunsmithing who at the time was the official Anschutz Importer, Neil's business is closed now so he's not a option 

I also had to get a Export permit from the Australian Government, which was simple and inexpensive all done through the mail. I paid no freight put it on our company's ship care of the Captain in his bonded stores locker, declared on the Customs manifest on arrival in the US as personal effects. Air freight if I was to guess would be a couple hundred dollars

I told you my dealer was inexpensive, turns out he is in quantity not for individual guns, 500 for 5 guns 30 dollars a gun after.  Here is a link to his site which  has a lot of detail on the requirements

Fact that your gun is returned US Goods could well make it much easier. I have been through a dozen Customs inspections with American Firearms all on a US Customs form 4455 with no difficulty, link to that site too.

For a definitive answer best go to a experienced importer who will consult his Customs House Broker.  And be aware they are like Tax prep companies, give advice it's still your bond that has to be filed & the entry is posted against. Customs has some  set times to process the entry's letting your shipment go and notify you the bond is released or additional duty is due. It's "Liquidated" allowing you to have the bonding company release your obligation

Lot of BS but every thing in a Wal Mart store goes through the same process. And look how cheap they sell.

Boats

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I forgot to include the price of the rifles second barrel, a Douglas 38/56 and also the sights, about an extra $700 to the total. Rather than freight the rifle over I would probably accompany it and possibly attend a couple of shoots while in the US, as a spectator only.
I'm fully conversant with the export requirements but not so sure as to the formalities for taking a firearm of US manufacture back into the US for possible sale. I guess if I contact the trade section of the US embassy here in Canberra they can advise me of the current regulations.
Mike.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Why would anyone in the US go through all the hassles and risks encountered during shipment to pay as much (or more total) than they could buy one for here in the US?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:49pm:
Why would anyone in the US go through all the hassles and risks encountered during shipment to pay as much (or more total) than they could buy one for here in the US?

I think that's part of what he's trying to figure out. Where the price needs to be to make it worthwhile for an American to purchase from him. What that number winds up being may be better than he can do in OZ. might not be better as well. We don't know yet.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint