Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shilo Sharps 1874 Sporter #3 (Read 14896 times)
GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Re: Shilo Sharps 1874 Sporter #3
Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Why shoot smokeless powder in original or replica black powder rifles chambered in original black powder cartridges?  Seems to me that goes against the "spirit of the hunt."   

I have also noticed that there seems to be more posts relating to big bore BP rifles and loads in the last year or two, which in my opinion are not conducive to  or competitive with the with the typical schuetzen rifle and loads.

I'm certainly not against the experimenting crowd (I'm one). 

JMO

GeorgeC 

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

pacecars
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
John in PA wrote on Mar 7th, 2016 at 12:45pm:
On Shiloh action strength:  When Wolf Droege was developing the cartridge guns for production back in Farmingdale, NY, I was visiting one time.  He was telling me about safety testing at HP White.  They had run the gun up past any factory smokeless ammo pressures (around 55000? IIRC)  Anyhow, he told them to keep going till they blew the gun up.  At 200,000 PSI, the receiver ring egged and blew the barrel out of the receiver.  No shrapnel.  He showed me the receiver and the barrel.  Just a big egg-shaped receiver ring! Ruger (Pine Tree Castings) was making the receiver blanks (and other cast parts) for Shiloh back then.  Don't know which foundry the current Shiloh folks use.

The guns (as Wolf was making them) will take anything a sane person would put in them.  BUT, the earliest 1874's with the large firing pin hole will blow primers, with subsequent gas issues, though the gas *should* escape out the vertical hole in the breechblock firing pin channel due to the dovetail plate in the rear of the block.  Unlike Sharps originals, which will shoot it back in your face.

Shiloh has there own foundry now. They are truly lock, stock and barrel. They had a nice video on their web site a while back titled "From Foundry to Finish" that showed the whole process. It was very interesting to watch.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  

Why shoot smokeless powder in original or replica black powder rifles chambered in original black powder cartridges?  Seems to me that goes against the "spirit of the hunt."   

I have also noticed that there seems to be more posts relating to big bore BP rifles and loads in the last year or two, which in my opinion are not conducive to  or competitive with the with the typical schuetzen rifle and loads.

JMO

GeorgeC 

George, but we must remember that even the "traditional' Schuetzen loads such as 38-55 and 32-40,etc. began with Black Powder. "So why are we using Smokeless in those.....?"

Also, There are large Bore BP rifle matches held at Schuetzenverein's for which we can/should be freely sharing info.
beltfed/arnie 

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 9:02am
Print Post  
pacecars wrote on Mar 11th, 2016 at 9:58am:
Shiloh has there own foundry now. They are truly lock, stock and barrel. They had a nice video on their web site a while back titled "From Foundry to Finish" that showed the whole process. It was very interesting to watch.

Last I knew Shiloh only makes their own 40cal & 45cal barrels. Order any other caliber and they will put on someone else's barrel (though I do not know which they use). When I win my new Shiloh at one of the match drawings this summer I'm going to ask for a 44cal Kreiger barrel.  Wink

I'll only be shooting BP in my 38-50 & 32-40 rifles at Chris's Schuetzen matches.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

ireload2

Reply #19 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
It seems it would go against the spirit of the hunt if you don't wear buckskin and ride a mule to the range. You should also leave your glasses, spotting scopes, cell phones and blood pressure meds behind too.

GeorgeC wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:50am:

JMO

GeorgeC 

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
SSShooter,
   When I worked for Shiloh (16 years ending in 2000) we were drilling, reaming, and rifling everything from .30 to .50 in-house. The barrel material was brought in as oversized bar stock (I think in 18' lengths) on a flatbed semi trailer. It was all foundry certified gun barrel quality steel. It was then cut to rough length and went through a series of processes (stress relieving, boring, reaming, rifling, profiled, stress relieved again, etc). The investment in tooling and set-up for each caliber was very large.  I would be shocked to learn they were buying someone else's product. When Wolfe would justify the cost and trouble to his wife Eva, he would say "When you out-source any part of your product, you are no longer the person running your business!". At that time we would occasionally install a customer supplied barrel, but it was as a finished profiled product and was at extra cost. When I left in 2000, this was still the way the Bryan family were operating production.
Tom W.

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Shiloh emphatically states that their rifles are for black powder only except those few calibers that are made for smokeless. Sharps rifles used black powder then are meant for black powder now. Why anyone would want to take a $2500 rifle and turn it into just another smokeless gun is beyond me - but from what I see written on the forums it seems the main reason is they are just too lazy to clean it.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2016 at 7:44am
Print Post  
TDW - 2000 was 16yr ago and things may have changed. Also, Shiloh button-rifles their barrels (40 & 45 cal) these days. Your post reads as if Shiloh may have cut-rifled their barrels while you worked there.  My "knowledge" is based on of info on the Shiloh Sharps Forum. If it is incorrect then neither Kirk nor Lucinda have done anything to correct the info on their own forum. When I spoke to Kirk this past October he confirmed that they were happy to install a customer supplied barrel. If anyone has more current, first-hand knowledge, please feel free to correct.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2016 at 7:50am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 4th, 2016 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Bob took me on a tour of the factory in Big Timber and showed me all the operations.  (Went through the Boulder River Foundry next door on a later tour.)

The barrels are drilled and reamed in-house, and somehow they contrive to put a slight choke the full length of the barrel.  A look down the unrifled barrels showed the shadow lines as long isosceles triangles, with the points at the muzzle.  (He wouldn't tell me how they did that.). The barrels are rifled (6 at a time if I recall) on a large horizontal press.  He showed me the buttons they use, and I recall that they are pushed through, rather than pulled.  Bob said that, done properly and stress relieved, this process did a much more consistent job of rifling, and also functioned as a "proof test" for barrel flaws.  He showed me a couple of reject barrels that had split when the button was pushed through them.  They same thing might well have happened ahead of a powder charge and bullet if the barrel had been cut rifled and put on a gun.

If you value your checking account, DO NOT take one of these factory tours!  It's like those Napa Valley wineries; you take the tour and hit the tasting room and suddenly your car is loaded down with cases of wine.  I suddenly discovered I "needed" a new Shiloh Sharps after the tour was over, and ordered it right there. (Of course, I haven't regretted it one bit, but wow, what a sales job! Wink)

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #24 - May 6th, 2016 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
SSShooter,
    Not sure how my post could be construed to say that they were cut rifling barrels. The shop produced barrels had always been button rifled. When I left, they were pulling the buttons through the finish reamed blanks with a special geared/hydraulic 75 ton broaching machine that Wolfe had modified. The buttons were designed to be pulled through the barrels and had a "wiper" portion at the very end of the rod that would put a mirror finish to the top of the lands. As I pointed out in my first post, They have ALWAYS been willing to install a customer supplied barrel (Wolfe was too). Compared to the monthly number of rifles that were produced with factory barrels, these other barrels were relatively uncommon. When I left, the only way they could use a customer supplied barrel, is if it was finish profiled. Admittedly, it has been 16 years, and another career ago since I worked there, and things may have changed. What I said, was that I would be surprised if they were not still producing their own  .30-.50 cal. barrels, due the the huge investment in cash and knowledge having been already made to do so.
   16 years is a very long time ago, but the things I speak of were based on actual, hands on, physical experiences gained over the time I worked there. I was the Final Assembly department supervisor and the Final Inspector, and for those 16 years, every rifle (some 10,000 +) that left the factory was finish assembled, checked for function, inspected for flaws, checked for customers options, tagged as correct, and signed by me. I'm not sure how that may stack up against "knowledge" gained from a forum, you will have to be the judge of that.
   I stand by what I posted as that was the way it was done when I was there. If Kirk comes home for lunch, I will walk next door and ask him if those processes have changed, and post his answers.
Best wishes
Tom Winters
P.S. If anyone is interested....I just caught Kirk at lunch, and he said they still produce their own .30 to.50 cal barrels, and that nothing in the barrel manufacturing process has changed since I was there. 
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2016 at 3:01pm by TDW »  

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 6th, 2016 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Very good. Thanks for the info and I stand corrected.

GTalk  
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 11th, 2016 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I once owned a Shiloh #3 in 45-70 with a 34 inch special order barrel (Shiloh production). Never could get the thing to shoot so I finally pushed a ball through the barrel and discovered the ball hit a point about 3 inches from the muzzle and then just fell out. Tried this from both the muzzle and the breech to be certain the problem was at the muzzle. Called the Bryant's asking to have the barrel cut and the sight re-installed. The old man refused, wanted to sell me a new barrel. Ended up sending it to another gunsmith that cut the barrel for me. He also installed the front sight but that is another story of woe.

These days I only buy/shoot C. Sharps.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint