Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic E. C. Hackett? (Read 1234 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

E. C. Hackett?
Feb 26th, 2016 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Grasping at straws here, in hopes that someone might recognize this name. I purchased this #1 Rolling Block Sporter last November, and have been messing around with saving it. It was custom stocked some time long ago, and has a Winchester 1885 style forearm shape, with the ebony insert in it. Buttstock is also custom, with a hard rubber buttplate, and both are checkered in a fairly coarse pattern that looks like 12 or 14 LPI. Also has Winchester style sling eyes. One on the buttstock, and one 2" ahead of the forearm on the barrel.
While working on it today, I found a rollstamp under the forearm on the barrel, "E. C. HACKETT". Not sure with the many times I had the forearm off since last November, why I didn't see it before? It's very even, and not done with individual stamps, so I figure it's most likely not the owner, but maybe the gunsmith who restocked it?
Maybe someone knows the name?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:03pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: E. C. Hackett?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Well I'm uncertain if some info I dug up on an internet search is connected, but it is a possibility. I live in Oregon, and the seller of this Rolling Block does also. I wish I had gotten his contact info, as in hindsight it might have helped. But since I didn't know this name existed on the gun's barrel, I never thought to ask. And a cheaply purchased #1 Sporter had me thinking of a project build when I got it, and not any significant historical value. 
So here's what a search revealed so far. Same guy, or? I have no idea, but it's the only lead I have at this time. Since gun is from the same area, maybe it matches?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint