Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) J.W.Fecker scope (Read 4998 times)
boho

J.W.Fecker scope
Feb 20th, 2016 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I am hoping that this will be easy for someone to answer. I have a Fecker scope It's 22.5 inches long the tube is about 5/8" in dia. The focus ring and distance setting is right in the middle of the scope. The distances are marked 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 and 15. I don't know the power it's not marked anywhere on this scope. The mount's are just like Unertel only marked JW.Fecker. Does anyone know how to tell the power? And what are the numbers? is 10 100yds and 15 150yds?

Thanks
Bob

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Re: J.W.Fecker scope
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Generally, the power is not marked on Fecker scopes.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

stubbicatt

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 7:42am
Print Post  
My rifle and scope are at the gunsmith right now, but if memory serves, the magnification on mine is on the ring that holds the reticle. There is a flat machined into the ring and a number stamped on it.

HTH. Smiley

"Government is an association of men who exist to do violence to other men." -L. Tolstoy

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Jack is right most Feckers are not marked. The only way that I know to really tell is to send it off and have it measured in a shop. 
What size is the objective bell? 
All the Feckers have the parallax adjustment in the center of the tube. It is the great advantage of Fecker scopes. You can keep your eye in the scope as you adjust.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Feckers are my favorite of this generation target scopes. I've always wondered why they didn't mark every scope they made for magnification? Guess they thought the original purchasers would never sell them!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Maybe this will answer some of your questions. My understanding the numbers on the parallax rings are reference point which you may record for different yard lines.
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Two more

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Two more...
The copy of Strobel's book I have doesn't mention JW Feckers that are this short.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2016 at 7:34pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
   To tell the power of any telescope, set it up so that you are looking at a brick wall.   You will see "little" bricks with one eye, and "big"bricks with the other eye -- superimposed.   Count how many little bricks it takes to span a big brick, and you have the scope magnification.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
The following is from an article I wrote on vintage external adjustable scopes & discusses two techniques to determine the magnification (power).

One technique is based on the telescope "rule of thumb" formula that the exit pupil diameter is equal to the diameter of the objective lens divided by the power.  Put another way, the power is equal to the objective lens diameter divided by the exit pupil diameter.  The objective lens diameter is very easy to measure.  The diameter of the exit pupil is the size of the image projected on the pupil of your eye when looking through the scope.  Measuring the exit pupil is a little more complicated.  But with a little work and preparation it’s not too hard.  To make a good measurement the scope must to be held steady, not rigidly mounted, but held sufficiently steady to make a measurement of a focused spot which will be approximately 0.065” in diameter.

An easy way is to just lay the scope on a table.  Now align a bright light source, lamp for example, approximately 2 to 3 feet in front of the scope.  It must be in line with the scope and objective lens.  In other words, aim the scope directly at the lamp as if you were sighting it on the lamp.  If aligned properly the image of the light source should pass through the scope and form a small spot on a piece of paper held within inches of the eyepiece (ocular lens).  With the scope on the table and focused on a bright light, I taped a piece of paper on the back of a chair and slid it to within inches of the scope.  If the light source is too far away from the scope it may not supply sufficient light to illuminate the full spot or, if too bright, may flair out on the paper making it difficult to define and measure the spot edges.  Move the paper back and forth until the spot is focused to the smallest diameter.  Grab your vernier calipers and measure the spot diameter.  Divided the diameter of the objective lens by the spot diameter and you have the approximate power of your scope.

Another, possibly easier method for some is to use the method Chris (rgchristensen) mentioned.  I.e. the technique of looking at a small far away object with one unobstructed or "naked" eye while looking at the same object through the scope with the other eye.  Then, while superimposing both images over each other, estimate how many times the image seen by the naked eye will fit into the larger image seen through the scope.  As Chris mentioned, a brick wall is a excellent target.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Since the subject of this thread is J.W. Fecker scopes, readers may be interested in the following article I authored and posted on my website.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint