Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is the factory Winchester Low Wall barrel worthy? (Read 3064 times)
High Noon
Participating Member

Is the factory Winchester Low Wall barrel worthy?
Feb 19th, 2016 at 8:11am
Print Post  
A year or so ago an old timer stopped by who buys classic rifles just for the Unertl scopes. He is a very serious Unertl collector of all things and he wanted to sell this little Winchester Low Wall in 22 Long R. and wasn't asking too much. I looked it over and told him I would be interested and he was nice enough to sell it to me.

The bad news its been drilled and taped with four holes with odd spacing and position. It's also been gloss blued but actually well done. The good news is the bore is like a mirror and it has a set trigger (that breaks very light!) and it ejects fired cases like a rocket which I like. 

Last summer I shot a very nice five shot group using Norma Match ammo at fifty yards using just the iron sights that came on the rifle. So I couldn't wait to try a scope. My good friend Dennis Hrusosky fixed me up with a Lyman Jr. 10 power scope and frnkeore  a very nice member here just helped me with some odd bases to test the rifle. 

So yesterday afternoon I headed up to my range in deep snow and placed a rimfire benchrest target at 50 yards. I quickly bore sighted it and shot two five shot groups with the Norma Match ammo. I was very pleased and feel with warmer weather and a proper target (this target is used in benchrest rimfire competition with 36 power scopes and I struggled seeing with the 10 power Jr. although crystal clear) I can shoot it better.   

My goal was to see if the original barrel meet good accuracy standards an have the rifle completely restored with rust blueing and a new stock with petite comb for scope and sight use. 

What do you experts think?   ideas?   

Thanks to Dennis and frnkeore! 

High Noon

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Is the factory Winchester Low Wall barrel worthy?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Very nice. Looks like you are on your way. Norma Match (which I use) may not be the best ammo for your rifle, as .22s are quite particular about what they want to be fed. Mine is happy with the Norma Match after testing against some of the other match ammo at 200yd (which my bank account likes). 

There is a very good chance that your barrel will be competitive. One of the folks who shots an original Maynard with the original barrel won the AAA-class .22BPCR nationals in 2014 and there is no reason your barrel can't do that as well. 

You might want to see if your rifle 'letters' from the Cody Firearms Museum. They have all the old Winchester records and will see if your rifle is in same for a fee. If it does letter and is correct you might want to think about any further changes. But, it is your rifle to decide. 

Your lower tang can always be bent to match a pistol-grip stock if that is the way you wish to go. Terrific rifle. Enjoy!!

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
The only thing that matters is the size of the groups that the rifle shoots. You might want to test with some different ammo, you may find that some other ammo will produce even better/more consistent groups. Obviously your rifle is a keeper, shoot it and enjoy it!

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Shoot it and enjoy it for what it is. I wouldn't change a thing. If you get disenchanted with it I can help........  Really though I would shoot it as is.

JHolland

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Depends on the standard.  Vintage rifle sporter stocked shot off simple rest moderate power scope subject to conditions it's very good.

Compare it to flat forearm straight buttstock high power scope rifle handled by experienced competitor using wind flags it's not going to Measure up .

I would restore it, suits my idea of what a good single shot should be

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I agree with 40-82Hepburn. Use wind flags and practice, if you can afford to.

Looks too good to be restored. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Keep it as is.  Shoot it and enjoy it. You can always restore it later. Set trigger and a mirror bore is a huge bonus.  I'll be second in line if you want to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2016 at 6:26pm by chawk »  

IP Logged

High Noon
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I wanted thank everyone for thier comments and help! 

I had a few minutes moved the target out to 100 yards this week. It was sunny and a little switching breeze. I tried to keep an eye on the wind flag and shoot.  My first shot was way low then adjusted up and shot this 5-shot .804 group. As you can see they were cutting holes and I was pleased. However I'm now planning on trying some different match ammo and see what the ole Low Wall likes. I'm gaining confidence in this original Winchester barrel all the time! 

The elegant lines of the Winchester Low Wall is just one of my favorite actions for the 22 rimfire.   

Thanks again!
High Noon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint