Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New arrival from MVA (Read 8384 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

New arrival from MVA
Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Today I received my 1885 MVA action, I had ordered this action with single set trigger and a second with double sets and a Helm lever at the Quigley last summer. The double set has been shipped and will arrive next week. I will post photos of it as well when it arrives. I have a hunting rifle planned for this action when time allows and I know I will be pleased with the end result. As with all MVA products this is second to none with very precise machining and attention to detail.

SSS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: New arrival from MVA
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 12:21am
Print Post  
That's a great looking bit of workmanship! Can't wait to see the other action too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I have been looking for awhile and see no information on MVAs web site. Is this only a call in for info and order item? And, what is their pricing for a DST? 

Thank you,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Charles,

To my understanding the 1885 actions are just now making it through production. Mine was one of the first 5 finished I was told. I have been purchasing various 1885 parts from MVA for some time now and they are fantastic. Everything is machined from bar stock and priced to gladden the heart of a SS enthusiast. I believe the DST action is priced at $1500.00 a phone call to Cheryl will confirm this, pistol grip and straight tang are slightly different in price. I imagine that as soon as they have the actions in full production and have a better idea as to time required from placing an order to delivery they will have information on their web sight. For now info is only a phone call away. Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

SSS

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
That looks really nice.  Thanks for posting.

Chris.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Are they available in coil spring too?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Frank,

As far as I know they will only be available in flat spring. 

SSS

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 9:41am
Print Post  
C. Sharps offers a 'thick-side' coil-spring action (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) while MVA is offering a 'panel-side' flat-spring action. Parts should be interchangeable between them with a minimum of gunsmithing and both are know for their high quality. Except, of course, if you want a thick-side flat-spring action as there is no opening for the flat-spring in the CSA coil-spring action. But, with its faster lock-time, why would you want to switch from the coil-spring to the flat-spring? Want a panel-side coil-spring action? Purchase the MVA receiver and CSA internals. Both are modern so both will have the serial number stamped on the receiver (not the lower tang, as with the originals). Plain or SST with CSA and DST with MVA. Mix and match (just like an M1).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Lincoln Creek
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
$1,500

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I haven't posted in a while, but after seeing the DST triggers and Heym lever here, I have to ask a question.

I've had a CSA 1885 for about 15 years fitted with the SST and have always wanted DST's. Am I to understand that the MVA (cannot find any information on them) and CSA are similar enough to swap parts? Namely the DST and Heym lever? 

I inquired about a conversion years back and understood it would be a PITA  and expensive.  The SST trigger works, but I have to keep it relatively heavy to keep it from becoming unset. Call it 1.5 pounds or so. I shoot more 600 yard benchrest and am used to a trigger that is very light.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Steve Meacham is the HiWall DST man.  The ones he put in my HiWalls were the best I have ever had on any rifle.  Not sure if he does them any more.  He quit building rifles long ago and his business is for sale.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:45am
Print Post  
I am puzzled. I used to design springs. Why would anybody want coil springs when he could get flat?
Fred

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Fred Boulton wrote on Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:45am:
I am puzzled. I used to design springs. Why would anybody want coil springs when he could get flat?
Fred

Are you looking at it from a design/mfg point of view or an end user point of view? As shooters are mostly interested in results, the coil spring action provides a faster lock time due to the considerably lower mass of its lighter hammer.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

chawk

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 6:58am
Print Post  
The original coil spring action was designed to allow the use of a takedown plate.  You also eliminate the need for an extra barrel dovetail with the coil spring.  The dovetail is not a big deal and if you aren't using a takedown plate then that is a moot point.   

I'm not sure about lock time but later flat spring hammers are milled thinner than the early flat spring hammers.  They look very similar to coil spring hammers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint