Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Martin Patent sight - for a Ballard? (Read 2038 times)
GeneB
Participating Member

Martin Patent sight - for a Ballard?
Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I recently acquired an interesting front sight that is stamped 'Merrimack Arms & Mfg." and F. N. 'Martin Patent Jan 5, 1864' (which I think predates the start of Merrimack Arms). I assume it to  have been offered as an option on their Ballard rifles.  I have found very little information on this sight and though it possibly someone here may have some information on it, and if not, at least be interested in seeing one. 

had pictures here but unfortunately I find I am not allowed to post pictures because this is my first post here - will add later if allowed

The patent does not have the added metal flip up cover - )I also find I am not allowed to post an active link since this is my first post... will try later)

The only reference to this sight I have was forwarded to me by friend who noticed a reference to a 'Martin Magic Sight' in Sharpe's book ' The Rifle in America' in the section about Merrimack arms. In it he quotes an article called "Trip to Colorado" from an 1867 Harper's Magazine, here is a little of it - "Next in importance in the arms department are Martin's Magic Sight and Beache's ..... The first is made of steel and glass with an 18-carat gold tip and a movable hood... In the open field the hood is partially or fully closed.... in the forest it is opened..."

IP Logged

GeneB
Participating Member

Re: Martin Patent sight - for a Ballard?
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
not much later, 2nd post - 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The patent does not have the added metal flip up cover -    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
My guess would be this isn't a Ballard specific sight, but most likely an aftermarket sight that could be purchased and used on any gun with that dovetail size. Pretty cool old sight, and I've never seen one like it. Strobel's old gunsight book doesn't list it, even under small misc. makers.

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
You have a Martin Magic Light Sight which was offered as an optional sight in early Brown Mfg. Co. catalogues. It is mentioned and shown on an early Ballard in John Dutcher's Ballard book.

I had one a few years ago which I have sold. They are a neat old sight.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

GeneB
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks powderman, Was yours also Merrimack Arms marked? From the 1864 patent date I had thought the sight may have been made by some other company before Merrimack Arms was founded (which I think was 1866? and folding about 1869?) Also, do you think the sights offered by 'Brown Mfg Co.' would have been marked with their name or were just 'Merrimack Arms' marked inventory they had acquired?

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
GeneB,

I think it was Merrimack marked, but i don't remember for sure. The sight was accompanied with a Brown Co. catalogue. Unfortunately, I did not photograph the sight.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint