Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Preferred gun cases (non flying). (Read 9583 times)
GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Re: Preferred gun cases (non flying).
Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
I found a Pelican case that the foam can be custom cut to fit your rifle/accessories. The foam is stiffer and deeper than the egg crate type foam.  They are somewhat expensive.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jerry, probably about an 8 on the cool factor.  Cool

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
GeorgeC wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 6:05pm:
Thanks for your input.  I have seen some nice custom cases with compartments on here in the past, just couldn't pull them up in a search.

I build custom fitted cases for some of my guns George, but not for travel to the range. More to just keep the gun and all it's accessories in one case. I'm always looking for old long gun cases to rip out the interior and refit them as specific to one gun.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:37am
Print Post  
JerryH wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 1:15am:
I like my Kalispel cases, and don't mind the additional weight loading and unloading at home and at the range.

It's ~ 45 minutes to the Central Sierra Schuetzen Club range and right at 2 hours to the Modesto Rifle Club for me.

Knowing my rifles are well protected during the trip is worth it to me. A few more pounds or dollars is nothing compared to what I have invested in my rifles.

Besides, I like to have cool stuff.  Cool

JerryH

I've actually thought about making some sort of wheel setup that could be strapped to the bottom of my Kalispel case temporarily, so it could be towed like a hand truck. Then add a 2nd handle like the side handle to push/pull it.

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I carry my CPA broken down and use a Gun-Ho shotgun case.  They are no longer in business but you can still find a double case once in awhile.  The top will hold the action, with movement of the center divider, and the bottom has room for four barrels.  In my case I carry two barrels and two Unertls with room left over for bullet seaters, iron sights, etc.  A little heavy all loaded up but everything I need is in one case.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
The top is Cabela branded (Kalispel, I think).  I can get 5 rifles in it and it is HEAVY.  But  it takes up less space than 5 single cases. It is on wheels. 
The middle is one I just bought,   has nice latches.   
The  Plano on the bottom has actually been on an airplane.  Had to take the stock off a Hepburn to get it in, but arrived safe and sound. Also have a Pelican that will hold two rifles,  that thing is a brute.
Am slowly getting rid of  thinner plastic cases, replacing them with heavier  duty plastic or  aluminum when I can.  Always shopping the clearance aisle.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
I bought a two gun break down Americase from a skeet shooter for 100 bucks. Top and bottom same depth opened up to egg crate foam and D Ring Lashings for Two broken down Automatic Shotguns. He sold it because it was so difficult to load and unload and the guns slipped in the D Rings.

I found the same thing and never used it much until,

Guy told me Americase would modify and upgrade to anything you want. Shipped it off, guy called we talked about what to do and the cost.  They did a real nice job of custom velvet lined interior, dividers, Velcro lashings closed extra compartments with flap tops.  It's set for two 10 G Hammer SxS Shotguns broken down, the biggest I own. With spacers that fill out so you can carry 2 x 20 G SxS shotguns. It could be set up for taken down CPA's just as easy with compartments for extra barrels. big plus is just fits in the trunk of my Ford so can be locked up safe when traveling.

It was not cheap to convert though. 325 dollars. Workmanship fit finish time to convert etc could not have been better.  Frame and case itself is about as light as a strong case can be made.  Weight is in the contents.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
oughtsix wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:31am:
The middle is one I just bought, has nice latches.

Bought the middle case on sale ($70, shipped) from Cabela's about 3yr ago and carry my .22RL or 38-50 Hepburn (26" barrels) in it. My 32" barrel Hepburn is about an inch too long. It is a great case for the $$.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Those are some nice cases especially the alum.  Bet it could tell some tales.

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #23 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Bit the bullet yesterday and bought a Pelican #1750 case. Thanks for all your help.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
George,

I have been thinking about a similar purchase.  Please post your opinion once you use the case.

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Will do. Due in next week with 4 matching keyed Master locks.

The price seems expensive, but when one figures the gun case is less than 5% of the cost of the rifle and extra barrel, it is pretty cheap damage insurance.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Mine are two SKB hardcases, one for single scoped rifle other for two takedown shotguns or short rifles. I have had them over 20 years each. Each has been on airplanes inside USA at least a half dozen times each. Both are still in excellent condition, despite being tossed 10-15 meters up onto luggage loaders by baggage handlers. I add additional foam or other padding around each gun before shipping on airlines. So far no gun has been damaged at all.

Not sure a 10+lb BPCR rifle would fare so well in these cases on airlines as the 7,0 lb or less guns I use them for.

Grisen

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
1750 Pelicans are about as bullet proof as you can get.

You will like it

Boats

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #28 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:34am:
GeorgeC wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 6:05pm:
Thanks for your input.  I have seen some nice custom cases with compartments on here in the past, just couldn't pull them up in a search.

I build custom fitted cases for some of my guns George, but not for travel to the range. More to just keep the gun and all it's accessories in one case. I'm always looking for old long gun cases to rip out the interior and refit them as specific to one gun.

Vall, where do you get your foam locally?   

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
X2 on the SKB. Built like a tank so it is a strong, but heavy case.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint