Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Preferred gun cases (non flying). (Read 9569 times)
GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Preferred gun cases (non flying).
Feb 10th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Earlier in the week, I did a search but didn't find any posts on preferred gun cases for taking  favorite single shots to and from the ranges for matches and/or practice. 
I don't trust airlines due to a misplaced (read stolen) rifle., so I'm not looking for an airline approved case for my new CPA with 2 barrels.

I'm looking for some suggestions (photos?) of your favorite gun cases.  Got a 1/2 dozen of metal and plastic hard cases.  Just looking for something different.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Preferred gun cases (non flying).
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
As much as I love my Kalispel, I wouldn't use it for tips to local matches, or out to the range. It's just too heavy, and add a single shot to the inside, and it's worse! But I'll use it for long trips, even driving
I have a Plano Pillarlock Pro Max hard plastic case that I really like. It's got internal pillars that help align the halves, and add strength to help protect the gun. It's the best hard plastic gun case I own.
Grabbed this picture off the web site.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I use well-padded (high density, not fluffy) soft cases, like the waxed canvas cases that LL Bean sells or old ones that I find at gun shows for most things. I don't need a hard case if I pack the car carefully.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I prefer the foam lined hard plastic gun cases for daily trips to the range, they take up more space than a soft case, but provide better protection at nominal cost. Hope this helps, Joe

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your input.  I have seen some nice custom cases with compartments on here in the past, just couldn't pull them up in a search.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Plano Air-Glide is my new favorite gun case. Put gun in and fasten velcro straps and you're good to go. I bought mine from Pyramyd Air, $53.00 shipped to my door (in NJ).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  item # PC-A-249

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I agree the configuration is much more rigid than the typical flat design and more compact. Excellent protection for to and from the range - would not use for air shipment though.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 6:15pm:
Plano Air-Glide is my new favorite gun case. Put gun in and fasten velcro straps and you're good to go. I bought mine from Pyramyd Air, $53.00 shipped to my door (in NJ).
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  item # PC-A-249

Dave - back when you were using the 28" MVA scope could you fit a scoped rifle in the box? I need a case and think this is the way to go, if it works.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
This case will hold a rifle with 28" scope, tho I'm currently using Lyman Junior Target Spot and DZ Arms scopes. This case is light and I like the way to gun is supported inside the case. Also, the rubber eye cup on the scope isn't squashed like it would be in a flat case.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I carry long barreled German Schuetzen rifles, so I like the Plano field locker, it holds 2 of these rifles easily.
Mike

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
I have a Plano air glide for my CBA military scoped rifle, and the first time I used it for my 14 lb CPA rifle the steel butt plate broke through the back end of the case upon a light impact.  No more!  I spent the bucks for a Pelican and cut the foam myself.  Putting $4500 of rifle and scope into a $50 light plastic case is poor economy.  Yeah, it's heavy but it's peace of mind if it drops any distance.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I like my Kalispel cases, and don't mind the additional weight loading and unloading at home and at the range.

It's ~ 45 minutes to the Central Sierra Schuetzen Club range and right at 2 hours to the Modesto Rifle Club for me.

Knowing my rifles are well protected during the trip is worth it to me. A few more pounds or dollars is nothing compared to what I have invested in my rifles.

Besides, I like to have cool stuff.  Cool

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Soft cases for me. Can pack more rifles in less space. Slip a sock over the palm rest to protect the fore stock. Finding soft cases long enough can be difficult.

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  

SKB

Single Rifle Case 4900
Model: 2SKB-4900

This compact, stylish case is molded from ultra-high density molecular weight polyethylene - the material specified by the U.S. military for cases and containers. Capable of accommodating a rifle up to 48", the 2SKB-4900 features SKB's unique Perfect Match Valance Bending System for a perfect seal. This case is weather resistant, stackable, and features bumper protected hardware and stainless steel D-Rings for a carry strap (strap not included).

Can be had for as low as $99.99 at Amazon

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I have a bunch of cases, only bought one new, rest used at matches of from friends.  Each with a best use. 

3 CPA's each with a 2nd barrel and long external adjustment scope with extra breech blocks palm rest etc,  store in Pelicans padlocked individually and all 3 chained together. Great long term storage but very heavy 3 together must weigh over 200 lbs.  take couple of big burglars to carry them out of the house. I figure they would go for the wife's silver first.  Most of the time I open one up take the rifle out fit with the barrel and sights- scope or Iron, I am going to use that day and carry the gun in a light plastic case like the other guys. Long road trips and flying use the Pelicans. Two have rollers that can roll into Hotel Rooms staying overnight on the road.  My SUV they are visible can’t leave them in it and my 4 door Ford, too big for the trunk. 

Fellow at out gun club was throwing out the worst looking Americase you have ever seen Safari model 3 guns upright. Dozens of Airline stickers it had been to Africa and back lot of times. Cleaned it up, Americase at no charge replaced the locks now use it for my 3 bolt action rifles same way. Locked up at home.   Have 2 other Americases One long one break down that are lighter and actually carry them to the range. Both bought at the Gun club under 100 bucks each. 

Rarely use soft cases and if I do it's out of the big hard case and soft for very short trips were it can lay on the backseat. Never packed with other luggage. Something you can do with Soft Cases and Pelicans.  Take the foam out.  Put sporting style guns in simple soft cases then inside the Pelican. We carried 8 Lever Action Marlins to the Pennsylvania Lever Silhouette Championships in one Pelican that way. Back of a pick up, chained to the bed.  2nd Pelican no foam carried a whole lot of ammo scopes binoculars etc. same way. I don't think I would do this with CPA's and Long scopes or Tang sights.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint