Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Flying to a match (Read 5747 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Flying to a match
Feb 8th, 2016 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Does anyone out there have experience flying to a match commercially?  I have flown with a newly purchased rifle successfully, but there was no ammo involved.  Getting a rifle on the plane is not too much of a hassle, but how do you deal with getting the ammo to a shoot?  I have started using the charged case approach, but even if you bench load, you still need to get powder, primer to the range.   I am toying with the idea of going to the Quigley  someday  and it's a hard two day drive for me.   

Just wondering, 

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Flying to a match
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:27am
Print Post  
I suggest that you ship your powder and primers out separately to someone you know. Don’t try to get on the plane with powder and primers you won’t make it. Also pack the rifle securely in a metal case the way the baggage handlers fling baggage around its better to be safe than sorry.
40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:37am
Print Post  
One karate chop from a anti gun sumo wrestler could do it.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I've got friends that fly in from the right coast every year and I think they UPS their ammo to the motel.  We stay at the Restwel and they are great at helping shooters out but reservations need to be made soon at any of the Forsyth motels.  Maybe OLR will chime in here.  
Also, you can go to the Quigley website and email Buz Coker and I'm sure he will give you ideas.  Bob

Pelicans are tough Cry

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:59am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I used to fly to matches all the time. I shipped my BP ammo via UPS to a friend to bring to the match and I took my guns on the plane. I never had a problem, tho one time coming back from Nationals in Raton, I had my empty brass  gone over with a fine tooth comb when I put it in checked luggage. Now I drive to matches and don't have to deal with TSA.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Friend of mine came back from the Baltimore gun show with a nice original flintlock, and same era pistol. They were packed end to end in his airline case, and when it came off the conveyor the case was bent 90 degrees! Somehow when he got it opened, the bend was right between the two guns, and neither was harmed! Airline had to buy a new case.
I had a pretty decent airline case, but after what happened to his, I sprung for a Kalispel that can withstand driving a car over it, and survive.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

spdalcher

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Nothing Surprises me about the monkeys that the airlines employ

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 8:49am
Print Post  
I have flown with modern Silhouette rifles a lot. Back and forth to Australia several times. South Africa and Raton NM.   Guns were easy to replace if lost and could buy ammo locally . Used Pelican Hard cases never had a problem . Somebody did try to get My Remington 700 out of its case in South Africa, foiled by the Pelican. 

Tournament Shotgun shooters fly with the guns, order shells shipped  to the host club. Airline rules on max ammo weight force this. Shotgun broken down is short lot less likely to be damaged. 

My nice CPA's knowing what I know about shipping are not going to see airplane cargo holds even in Pelicans. Take the two days driving see the sights along the way worry free. 

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I always remove buttstocks when I ship a long gun. It gives the gun a better chance to survive the gorillas who do their best to destroy them.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Thing to remember is the Carrier, Airline in this case, never touches a bag. It's all sub-contractors who make their profit on low wage high production.

You can expect your gun case to be stacked, thrown, moved on conveyors and baggage trucks in a hurry by people that don't care.  Not to mention theft if it looks like a firearm.

Packing and not "Gun Obvious" is your best defense. Other thing when I was working in the 3rd world the best practice, don't use anything you care about. That's the best advice for gun transportation, be prepared to let it go.

Your car you are in control.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Packing a rifle in a "not gun obvious" case is tough to do! Since the airlines only accept certain cases, the baggage goons pretty much know what an airline approved gun case looks like.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I have watched my favorate hunting rifle, in a very sturdy case, tossed as far up the loading ramp (into baggage hold) as possible. Seen this often enough that I conclude this is "sport" for baggage handlers. This light-weight hunting rifle and its case have never been damaged and POI was not changed, based on single test shots after arrival at destination and on return home. Leupold scope and mounts.

Grisen

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
There are some out there for break down guns that look like duffel bags, hard case with rollers on the bottom soft on the top. And you can put a break down hard case inside a duffel bag.  That's what most of the shot-gunners do. Far as I know the only Airline regulation is hard and lockable. No specific brand or type approval. 

Long gun hard to hide it.   

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I haven't tried them, but was told that the hard plastic gun cases like Doskocil aren't accepted, even though they can be locked with a padlock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint