Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scope base lengths question (Read 2009 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Scope base lengths question
Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Vintage scope aficionados, here is the question of the day: Why are scope blocks 2 different lengths when the bases on the scopes are usually the same length?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Scope base lengths question
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:35am
Print Post  
An interesting question considering that my front bases and front blocks are shorter than my longer rear bases and rear blocks.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:43am
Print Post  
I think all my scope bases are the same, but the scope blocks on the rifles are different.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I've got all sorts of variations on my old scoped single shots. I think I've got a dozen rifles with vintage scopes, and the bases vary in length, hole spacing, and mounting spacing. The shorter scopes of the 1930's and newer seem to all use the spacing of around 7.5" between bases. But the length of the scope bases themselves, and hole spacing seems to vary. 
My guess on why some scopes used one base longer than the other is pretty simple. It allows the shooter to slide the scope rings on one at a time, instead of fighting both rings on a base simultaneously. I find it much easier to slip the rings over the base when one base is slightly longer. So I figured whoever did this, probably had that in mind.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I supposed that the ease of installation was probably the reason, but have no info to confirm that guess.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Don't think you will find info to confirm it or not, but agree with Vall that it is easier to align and slide the shorter front mount onto the shorter front base after the longer rear mount is already partially started onto the longer rear base... don't need to do the three-hand shuffle, and it keeps potential dings and scratches down to a minimum.

A lot of manufactures did things that they never felt obligated to explain, and still do.     Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint