Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel sights for Rollers (Read 2927 times)
Yellowhouse

Barrel sights for Rollers
Feb 4th, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I'm having a 50-70 built up on an original sporting action and wood.   Looking strongly at the MVA Rough and Ready realizing it has some shortcomings and my eyes aren't that good either.  Remington made two types of buckhorns-- one with rounded ears and another that resembles the sights on the 1894 Winchester.  Would the latter be an acceptable substitution in the eyes of purist? Wink

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Re: Barrel sights for Rollers
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Thinking that what works best for your eyes and something that you will be able to use rather than what a purist would want to see. My eyes aren't getting any younger either so I'm in the "all the help I can get crowd" Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Problem is im guilty of purism! Undecided

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
If you look through the recently published in-depth books on the Rollingblocks and the Hepburn, the photos show that many original owners made sight modifications to suit their individual tastes and purposes.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I have the same problem with wanting sights I can see well, but also wanting to keep my Rolling Blocks original in appearance. I usually find tang sights to be the best for me, but several of my Rolling Blocks aren't D&T for a tang sight, so I'm hesitant to do so, even if it was done correctly.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I also have this problem. I have a nice No 1 Sporting rifle in 38-55 that is missing the rear barrel sight and is not drilled and tapped for a tang sight. I would love to find the proper sight if anybody knows of one.

Regards,
Powderman

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I have a few originals that between them have most of what was offered by Remington originally. The rough and ready sight looks cool but is IMHO not a great rear sight for actual shooting. I prefer the buckhorn rear with the rounded ears.  The rough and ready was an extra cost option  which is funny because it seems like you see a lot of original rolling blocks with empty slits for a rough and ready and some kind of aftermarket replacement

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Finding old Remington sights is tough, and expensive. Several of my Rolling Blocks have the factory buckhorn, and one has the simple non adjustable sight used on the Adirondack or Deer Hunter models. It's a durable sight, but without elevation adjustment, it's not a great sight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Here's  a pic of the sight on my 44-77 and is about  2.75in  long.  The dovetail is the narrow Remington. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Heres the sight on the sporting .38-50.....relined to 38-55.  Its two in long and dovetail is .250 in.  Both sights are shown as Remington in Marcot.  However, I'm not real sure about the sight on the 44 above.  Neither one of these sporters are DT and thats the way they'll likely stay.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint