Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Where are all the Axtell Sights ? (Read 8494 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Where are all the Axtell Sights ?
Jan 26th, 2016 at 8:59am
Print Post  
I periodically see Axtell-made sights on eBay, GunBroker or mounted to a rifle.  There are a handful of high-quality sight manufacturers still available, but Axtell was true to the original design and in many cases better than the originals.  For an avid shooter, sights by Lee Shaver, MVA, Kelley, and others offer improvements over the original designs and will be their preference.  A collector scours the internet and gun shows looking for a period appropriate sights.

Axtell made some very nice sights not too long ago and unfortunately, no one followed through on that part of their business.  Periodically I see Winchester and Sharps sights by Axtell in online auctions, but in older catalogs I see they also made Remington type sights.  A Google search will also show Remington sights by Axtell at MidwayUSA (no longer available).   

Did Axtell make much more of one sight than others?  Are shooters / collectors holdings spare sights in their parts bins?  Where have all their sights gone?

... Joe

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Where are all the Axtell Sights ?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Joe,
You have a PM.

Harry

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Well, yes, Tom Axtel made sights for the Remington and I have two of them.  One is a on a Remington #1 sporter rebored to 40-70SS.  That also has one of his windgage front sights on it.  The other is on a #1 1/2 Remington sporter rebored to 38-55.  I wouldn't part with either one.  I also have one of his long range "transition" models (with windage) on a Ballard base that  is on my 45-70 Meacham sharps.  That rifle had an original Ballard sight on it so was already drilled for the Ballard base.  I have another of his mid-range sights with a Sharps base that will go onto one of my rifles sometime in the future.

They are around.  I got the two Remington sights when they were making them.  The others I bought from people on the ASSRA forem if I remember right.

George

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Joe,
I have the Axtell pamphlet from 1998 and it says that they were making sights since 1973.  They list 14 different tang sights for the 1874, 1877 and 1878 Sharps.  5 front sights for Sharps, 6 Remington tang sights, 4 front sights, 7 tang sights for 1885 Winchester along with 4 front sights.  5 Ballard tang and 3 front sights.  Morocco leather sight cases, Pope style Priming tools and a 6 power Malcom style scope (probably Parsons).  So there has to be a lot of Axtell sights out there but most are cherished by the owners.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I have a windgage and a long range on my HiWall.  Maybe some on a Ballard too.  I don't remember for sure whose those are, but probably Axtel.  He was the only game in town in those days.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Tom and Carmen stamped their front sights and rear sights with a capital A inside a shield.
I have encountered a few of their sights that were for sale that had the locations of the stampings ground on and/or filed to remove the stamp, so buyer beware.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 26th, 2016 at 8:48pm:
Tom and Carmen stamped their front sights and rear sights with a capital A inside a shield.
I have encountered a few of their sights that were for sale that had the locations of the stampings ground on and/or filed to remove the stamp, so buyer beware.

Why would anyone want to remove the stamp?  Pass it off as an original from the 19th century?
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2016 at 1:19am by Schuetzenmiester »  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I have one on a Meacham highwall.   It's not as practical as an MVA soule, but it looks nice.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I believe Carmen is still selling sight parts on eBay, about a year ago I bought a lead screw for a Ballard vernier tang sight from her, it looks and works just like the old one.

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I purchased parts for Remington sights here. I believe some of these may have come from Axtell. I tried Carmen but she said they did not have sights. She puts a part on Ebay occasionally.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 1:21am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Jan 26th, 2016 at 10:25pm:
I have one on a Meacham highwall.   It's not as practical as an MVA soule, but it looks nice.   

Chris.

Soules are a lot more convenient than moving that front sight backwards all the time  Grin

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:43am
Print Post  
I have a Remington windage front sight and a long range tang sight. I understand that she has sold all the sights/parts she had. Too bad, they are high quality sights.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I think the first reproduction Soules were from Mike Stevens. I bought mine from him in 1993 and he passed away soon after.  When did Axtels (who's quality is just as good as Mikes was) start making sights 

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Ron Long was making Soule sights in the early-mid eighties. Mike Stevens made excellent sights.

Gabi has a Axtell sight on her Winchester. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
My understanding was that Pony Express Sporting Goods in California made and sold the first repro tang sights back in the 1970's. I have one of them marked "Pony Express" on the base of the staff, on my #2 Rolling Block.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint