Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard #3 (Read 13764 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard #3
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Dave - thanks for the link. Exactly what I need. Any other recommended 'spares' that are good to have at a match? Might as well add to the order if good to have.

A question........... are the forged CF receivers the same external dimensions as the cast #3 receivers?

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2016 at 10:34am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
External dimensions are the same for cast and forged receivers. The differences are inside the receivers but breech blocks are the same dimensions.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 11:00am
Print Post  
the cast actions and the forged actions are the same dimensions. They use all the same screws the barrel is the same size and threads Ken

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Forgot to mention - I carry an extra rimfire firing pin and mainspring. Since many of my Ballards are converted center fire rifles or have custom firing pins I'm always hopeful that none break in a match. I also bring a spare rifle to all matches.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I don't shoot competitively, but have never had any part fail on a Ballard personally. But I take them apart and ensure they're good throughout. Over 125 years, the trigger return spring can get brittle and break, so I've made replacements when they look rusty or ugly. I've also replaced mainsprings that looked suspicious during a rebuild. But once they're checked and ready to go, they've never given me any problems.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I shoot Ballards almost exclusively.  The parts I have had fail are the trigger return spring, the other spring in the set triggers ( can't think of the name of it right now) and the set triggers can get very worn on those original actions.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
In my experience the cast actions are about .015-.020" thinner than the forged steel actions. This could just be the individual ones I have measured. The pistol grip action is slightly different in that it is curved downward on the rear bottom with more metal on the bottom where the stock fits. Pistol grip and straight stocks are not interchangeable.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Don't forget the straight wall actions, vs. the stepped side.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the info. 

While I am almost always a pistol-grip kinda guy, I think the straight stock on my #3 Gallery rifle is more appealing to my eye. Hope I can get it finished in time for the .22BPCR Nats at Raton mid-July. Mr. Deadeye Bly won his class in 2014 at the Nats shooting an original Maynard, that was original right down to the bore & rifling. Unfortunately, my barrel has to be lined, but other than that it will be original. Now if I can just shoot it well enough to do some damage.

Do any Ballard #3 Gallery rifles with straight-grip stocks have checkering? 

Also, am I correct in assuming the screw thread & spacing for the tang sight base is the same on the #3 as on all Ballards?
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:12pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Very rarely, but they indeed did offer it as an option. The scoped #3 flat top I posted has factory checkering, and a shadow line cheekpiece. As with all Marlin Ballards, Marlin was very accommodating with special order custom offerings.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Glenn, I have two straight grip action Ballards with pistol grip stocks made by Dave Crossno. I have ball & spur lever on one and loop lever on the other.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Glenn, check your e-mail for Ballard pics.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Very nice. Thanks.
However, I'm going to stay with the straight-grip wood for the near-term. At least until I feel it is keeping me from shooting as well as I might. 

Does Dutcher's book have any pic's of checkering on straight-grip wood?

Vall - you should pack up your favorite .22LR Ballard and come down and shoot the .22BPCR nationals at Raton in mid-July. 1-day of practice and then 1-day for scope and 1-day for irons. The you can then shoot as much of the Schuetzen match as you wish.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2016 at 7:42am by SSShooter »  

GTalk  
IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #28 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
The match dates are July 16th and 17th for the 2016 .22 BPCRA Nationals at Raton.  However, Scope and Iron are shot together over the two days. It is a two day 80 round aggregate match with 40 rounds being shot each day.  You may enter both iron and scope if space is available, otherwise you will have to select your first choice to shoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:11pm:
Very nice. Thanks.
However, I'm going to stay with the straight-grip wood for the near-term. At least until I feel it is keeping me from shooting as well as I might. 

Does Dutcher's book have any pic's of checkering on straight-grip wood?

Vall - you should pack up your favorite .22LR Ballard and come down and shoot the .22BPCR nationals at Raton in mid-July. 1-day of practice and then 1-day for scope and 1-day for irons. The you can then shoot as much of the Schuetzen match as you wish.

Yes! John's Ballard book does have pictures of straight grip Ballard checkering. If you don't have his book, drop me a line, and I'll try to copy a picture for you.

Thanks, but that conflicts with a fun shoot I go to in Tonasket, Wa. at my friend's place! Can't miss it, as it's such a great get together of good friends, and shooting/eating!
Hopefully the rains will let up here in Oregon sometime before, and I can get the new Cody Schoyen Ballard in .22LR out, and see how it shoots!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint