Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard #3 (Read 13749 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard #3
Jan 21st, 2016 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
A few pic's of my Ballard #3 and a few questions. 24" long full-octagon barrel and the bore is shot (needs to be lined). On the upside, no major dings or cracks in the wood and no real rust or pitting. 25xxx serial number and the barrel matches.
Am a neophyte when it comes to Ballards and do not have Dutcher's book. With the concave top on the receiver I know for sure it is a #3, but recall that only the 3F had the concave top and the #3 was a flat top. Is that correct? Is this a 3F Gallery rifle? Any help on the correct identification is appreciated. It is really a slick little rifle and I'm trying to decide if I should refurbish my 32-40 Hepburn or this rifle next. 
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2016 at 9:15am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard #3
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I know nothing about Ballard #3 rifles, but I think you should sell me the Hepburn and use all nineteen dollars from the sale to fix up the Ballard. Actually, I think it's a cool little rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Only very early #3 Ballard rifles had flat top receivers. The early #3 also had a much heavier barrel, so it worked fine with the flat top. Later they changed to the lighter barrel, and the concave top receiver was required to see the sights over the top. All Marlin Firearms Co. marked #3 have concave top, whether they are a #3 or a #3f. The JM Marlins can be either, and not sure when the change occurred, but the flat tops are extremely rare from what I've seen. I've owned 8-9 #3, and only had one flat top receiver. I have seen and owned later MFC marked concave top #3 Ballards with heavy barrels also. The barrels actually sit up higher than the concave top receiver. Sold one last year with MFC markings, and heavy barrel.
The #3f is also a pistol grip frame/stock, loop lever, small Farrow Swiss buttplate. So that's the key to recognizing a #3f vs. a #3. Other than the optional cheekpiece, this is a standard #3f Ballard:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Early #3 flat top, with optional special order stocks:

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
So,,,,,,, appears my rifle is a later #3, concave top, straight grip with a crescent buttplate. Correct?

Is it OK to dry-fire a rimfire Ballard?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:27pm:
So,,,,,,, appears my rifle is a later #3, concave top, straight grip with a crescent buttplate. Correct?

Is it OK to dry-fire a rimfire Ballard?

Yes, your configuration is correct for a later #3. I don't make a practice of dry firing mine, but the only question I would ask is if the RF firing pin might contact the edge of the rim cut, and leave a mark? The breech block is made to stop travel of the firing pin, and the Ballard is known for strong firing pin design, and not known to break.
One other thing! A RF Ballard, and a .22 RF Ballard are different firing pins! The .32RF, .38RF and .44RF are reversible from RF to CF, so use the flat firing pin, which can be flipped upside down. The #3 .22RF is a round firing pin.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I dry fire mine with a spent shell in the chamber.  Give it a turn each time and you can use it 5 times.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 8:21am
Print Post  
While I listed this rifle for sale in the classifieds to fund my 32-40 Hepburn work, I'm still going back & forth on whether I should sell, or not. It really is a delightful little rifle and would be great fun to shoot. SALE CANCELLED........ parts on order to make this a shooter. What a slick little rifle.

Based on keeping it, what gunsmith can remark the Marlin & patent info on the left side of the of the receiver? Even though it only needs light polishing, the marking, which is not deep to begin with, will be pretty indistinct. What is the best course of action? Would steel-wool and something like Break-Free oil work to take off the surface grunge on the metal? I want to do the absolute minimum of of polishing.

Also, was the receiver originally case-colored or blued? It 'appears' to me that the receiver was case-colored and the rest of the parts were blued. The crescent buttplate also was blued and retains about 90% of the finish for some reason. Lining, refinished the metal and wood should make this #3 look like it "came off the showroom floor".
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2016 at 9:17am by SSShooter »  

GTalk  
IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 8:43am
Print Post  
SSShooter,

Pretty little rifle that like so many others on this site, I cannot afford.  Beg your pardon, because I don't want to sidetrack your thread here, but who makes the Winchester style scope ring shown in the picture?  Do you know if it is available as a separate item?

Thanks in advance,

Hayface

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
That is an MVA (Montana Vintage Arms). DZ Arms also makes them. I have one of each and both are outstanding quality and they both sell them with or without the front scope mount. DZ Arms sells an 'enlarged' model with about 80moa of additional adjustment for BPCR/BPTR shooting. With the MVA you have to change the rear scope block (they have a simple system for same - only one set-screw to make the change). With the DZ Arms you don't have to make any changes out to 600yd.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Thank you, sir.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
The receiver, hammer, lever, and breechblock halves were casehardened, as was the buttplate. Your buttplate is probably 90% because it was blued later. The trigger was blued.
Have to be very careful cleaning, and I use bronze wool, with a 50/50 acetone atf mix to clean them gently. If it has any case colors left, I wont use even bronze wool, as even it can remove case colors.
This is the original configuration on one of my #3 Ballards. Other than optional sights.

Dale Woody is one of the few engravers who's not afraid to touch up lettering on cased receivers, without having to anneal them first. Most engravers I've talked to want them sent out to soften them before they use their tools to touch up lettering.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Just pulled everything apart and see that both halves of the block are stamped with the serial number. Gratifying to see that everything matches. Liner is on order. Is missing the smaller of the 2-piece extractor. It appears to me that the 2-piece extractor that DZ Arms is offering for the Low Wall is based on the Ballard extractor. I'll see about getting one those pieces to work in the lined barrel.

GTalk  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Distant Thunder offers 2 piece rimfire Ballard extractors. Actually you can buy either of the two pieces separately.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Here's Distant Thunder link;  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
The DZ extractor is similar to the Ballard but will not fit. The Distant Thunder one is an exact replacement. It's the one you should order.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint