Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) toggle breech seater (Read 12681 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: toggle breech seater
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Agree; so look for a place where a stud on the arm of the seater can pull against on the receiver frame.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Another candidate is to lever off of a tang sight base.  I am procrastinating on one for my 25-20 High Wall. I have the base and the lever done. Just need to get the case attached. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Schoyen put studs on the receivers for his seaters so I don't find it takes away from any originality.
Someone just rencently posted some rifles and there was an original Schoyen Ballard pictured with the stud pictured on the left side but I don't recall where it was posted but it was just recently. I also didn't notice the seater being mentioned with the Rifle and I would think an original seater would be hard to come by to make the rifle complete.
I don't blame those who prefer not alter an original rifle it would probably be the wrong thing to do but I see no reason not to due it to a CPA or other modern reproduction. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
These are some ways that I use a stud to BS and not have to D&T the action. You can mount the stud on either side. I use a fulcrum instead of a toggle.

1. Mounted off of the rail of my German Schuetzen.

2. Mounted off of a Redfield scope base, using three 8x40 scope base screws and two 10x32 to attach to the scope base.

3. This is my lastest mount and the one I recommend for modern actions.

The face of the action is D&T for two, 1/4x28 screws. The plate that the stud is mounted on is 3/8 thick, the stud is a 1/4x20 button head and it's not taped quite all the way through, so the threads bottom out in the hole and keep it tight. The head of the button head screw is turned to .370, to form the stud. Note the stud is on the centerline of the bore.

You can use 14x28 flat head cap screws to attach the plate or, do as I did and turn two, 5/16 rods to 1/4x28, attach the plate with them. Then extend the rods, to the length that you want your forearm to be, D&T the ends of rod and capture the forearm to the receiver plate, with 1/4x20 screws, to make a floating forearm, while your at it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Frank interesting approach did you have to modify your forearm or am I looking at the picture in the wrong way? I have also seen a stud installed on a replacement barrel just in front of the action so it does not alter an original action. With the current price of Russ Weber's seaters being well over $200.00 alternate home brewed means to accomplish the same task is all that some can afford. His breech seaters are thee best being offered for sale to the shooting community in my opinon so I am not trying to take anything away from the extremely valuable service he provides but some of us are on extremely limited incomes and just can't afford more than one should they also shoot the quarter bore matches or have multiple rifles of differing cartridges for Schuetzen competition.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:32am
Print Post  
This is what it looks like under the forearm.

The 5/16 steel rods are heat treated alloy steel, turned and threaded with flats milled on them, to tighten down the stud plate, with a open end wrench. The forearm is then slides on them and is captured with 1/4x20 button head screws. It makes a extremely solid, floating forearm, that won't flex on the bags and can not be moved by hand.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 7:39am
Print Post  
All seem to work,  BUT I feel the best thing to do is spend some extra and get a Weber.

You'll be glad in the long run.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:29am
Print Post  
In my case, I always make my own, just because I can. That's one of the things about this sport that has always attracted me. It's different, with a capital "D" and it lets me use my trade to design and make what I want and need.

Other than my first two years, my equipment has always been something that others didn't use, starting 1987 with my Hoch, in 32/35 Stevens/Maynard.

How boring would it be if the line was only made up of round barreled, 32/40 HW's, seating the PJ bullets with Russ's seaters, off a skinny little forearm and all firing in cadence, to someones command?

It's not as easy as going to the shelf and buying it but, the reward is there for me.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
I agree, the most attractive thing about this sport, is that I can make most any thing I want, guns moulds, and accouterments myself. For me there is great pride in using something I made and having it work well and do the job it was intended for.                  Lee

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:23am
Print Post  
The original post:

"Want to get a toggle breech seater for my CPA. Contacted Steve Durren,he does not make them for the CPA, and Ken Meyer, he advised he is not making them anymore. Can you give me info on who makes such a seater and how to get in contact. Thanks for your help and have a  great day".
Bob 
Iowa

So I'd guess he does not make his own stuff due to whatever reason,  So the how to make one is a moot point.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
He may not make one, but seeing different ways to go about the thing ought to be interesting. At least, he can see the very elegant and effective beauty in the Weber tools. I wish I had one, but beside fixed income here, I'm just cheap. I use a a pair of push tools for the rifles I sometimes breech seat. Nobody talks about them much these days, but they work-cheap.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
He may not make one, but seeing different ways to go about the thing ought to be interesting. At least, he can see the very elegant and effective beauty in the Weber tools. I wish I had one, but beside fixed income here, I'm just cheap. I use a a pair of push tools for the rifles I sometimes breech seat. Nobody talks about them much these days, but they work-cheap.

I started with a home made pusher for my first BS rifle, Stevens 44 1/2 32-40.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint