Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Harry Pope accomplishment other than rifles (Read 4480 times)
ssmann

Harry Pope accomplishment other than rifles
Jan 11th, 2016 at 10:45am
Print Post  
   Not as well known is that he graduated from M.I.T. with an engineering degree. Starting in early 1900's & later when an injury & also an eye mishap while bluing, Harry Pope was also modifying pistols & revolvers as well as their barrels. It was easier to work on them for him as well as shorter turn around time to get paid. He mostly did S & W single shot target pistols, but also Colt's & Remingtons as well as revolvers by them. I happen to own two of the S & W single shot .22 pistols. a 1st model of 91 and a 3rd model perfected. When he worked on the whole gun, he always added a trigger stop which both have but is hard to see on the 3rd model which is on bottom. Still, he will always be famous for the rifles.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Harry Pope accomplishment other than rifles
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Did he somehow mark the S&W's to indicate his connection to them?
Pope was very vocal about being an MIT engineering graduate! If anyone didn't know it, he was quick to mention it often! He worked for his uncle's bicycle factory, but tired of the bicycle work, as it didn't interest him. I'm not sure, but I think his uncle paid for his trip to MIT.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssmann

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
All that I have seen, which is not very many, have this same stamp that is on both mine, is same on revolvers as well.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 9:51am
Print Post  
While Pope did describe himself as an engineer and did go to MIT the course he took was a 2-year industrial engineering course that placed emphases on hands on machining. MIT was very up front in their catalog at the time that this was not a scientific engineering degree. Harry was never shy about touting his accomplishments and often told people that he was an engineering graduate of MIT, he just left off that it was the lesser 2-year “Community College” version not the scientific engineering degree.
Having said that Pope also held patients for early automobile designs from when he was involved in developing the Pope motorcar and motorcycle.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jan 12th, 2016 at 9:51am:
While Pope did describe himself as an engineer and did go to MIT the course he took was a 2-year industrial engineering course that placed emphases on hands on machining. MIT was very up front in their catalog at the time that this was not a scientific engineering degree. Harry was never shy about touting his accomplishments and often told people that he was an engineering graduate of MIT, he just left off that it was the lesser 2-year “Community College” version not the scientific engineering degree.
Having said that Pope also held patients for early automobile designs from when he was involved in developing the Pope motorcar and motorcycle.

40 Rod

Great info! I wasn't aware his degree was a two year degree!

IP Logged

spdalcher

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
very interesting information! Has a biography been done on Pope? I know there is a book, "The story of Pope's Barrels"

IP Logged

spdalcher

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Earlier post got me thinking, I was pretty sure that I had purchased said book, and after an hour of rooting around in the library I finally unearthed it! Guess I have some reading to do this evening! Thanks to the OP for opening this topic.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
spdalcher wrote on Jan 17th, 2016 at 9:12am:
very interesting information! Has a biography been done on Pope? I know there is a book, "The story of Pope's Barrels"

There's also Gerald Kelvar's, "Respectfully Yours HM Pope", and of course the two volume set done recently by Warren Greatbatch, "HM Pope Hartford 1887-1901"

IP Logged

ssmann

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I have both books, "Respectfully Your's" & "Pope's Barrel's", the other 2 books set is way out of my league at $250.00 or more. Most of my interest is after 1907 in Jersey City shop. Shortly before that, he had moved everything he owned to San Francisco. Cal., then when was going to be opening day of his shop there, they had the great earthquake. He lost everything he had & moved to Jersey City.

IP Logged

spdalcher

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Thanks Marlinguy, I'll have to find the other books. About halfway through The Story of Pope's Barrels. Lot of good information, though the author can't help but extol the virtues of Pope Wink Little over the top...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint