Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cleaning 32-40 (Read 7951 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cleaning 32-40
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Frank, Why not just burn all your powder?  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:34pm:
Frank, Why not just burn all your powder?  Cheesy

LOL, it's hard to do using 4759 in a 45/70 and not have a sore shoulder, especially doing load development. That same 45/70, eventually seperated my shoulder. After rotor cuff surgery, two years ago, I won't shoot them any more. I sold that barrel (Douglas Benchrester) and put a 33 on that action. Been very happy since Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
The reason I clean occasionally may be the same as Frank's explanation for doing it. I often shoot several powders in succession, including 4759. The muck that I see in there 'now and then' may be explained by that. Thanks for the hint, I just thought it was accumulation.  I'll keep an eye out for that powder in particular. 
I try not to scour the barrel bare, but it's hard to keep some and leave some. So, I prefer the leave it alone method when I can.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth this is how I clean my barrels after every match. Consistency is what I always strive for in every aspect of my shooting. Cleaning my barrels/rifles is no different. If you clean one time and not the next, how can that be consistent?

I cut my own flannel patches to be a snug, not super tight fit, to my barrel. My cleaning solution/bore protection is a 50/50 mix of Hoppes #9 and Marvel Mystery Oil. I use Remington 40X Bore Cleaner for carbon control.

After the match I run one wet patch, one dry patch, another wet patch, then another dry patch through the barrel. 

Then I saturate a patch with Rem. 40X and work it back and forth in the first 1/3 of the barrel 10 strokes. Without changing the patch I then work it back and forth through the first 2/3 of the barrel another 10 strokes. Then still using the same patch I do another 10 strokes the whole length of the barrel, not letting the patch exit the bore.

I follow that with one wet patch down the bore followed by a dry patch, another wet and then dry patch, with a final wet patch to oil the bore and I'm done.

It takes far less time to do than you would think, and the bore is exactly the same each time I take it to the range. Two or three shots will have any of my barrels settled down and grouping although I always take a least ten sighter shots to get me settled down.

I still have a seasoned bore cleaning this way as I too believe a cast bullet barrel should be treated like good cast iron cookware, which is what I cook with. The only way to really remove all my lube (Javelina Schuetzen Lube) from a barrel is to use lighter fluid or paint thinner.

My reason for cleaning this way is to prevent carbon buildup. It's easy to prevent it cleaning this way, but a real pain to get it out of a barrel should you ever let it get out of control. 

Anyway, this works for me. YMMV.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I clean all my barrels after shooting. Usually takes no more than three shots to shoot normal again.   

Got some lead out of Biggi's Aydt Sunday after the match. Corrosion happens under that lead you leave in the barrel. A dirty barrel will trap moisture from condensation. 

Nice thing is, you don't have to clean your barrel if you don't want to. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 7:05am
Print Post  
I started using Sea Foam carn cleaner on a patch, it does a very good job removing the carbon.  Then oil.  Just a few shots to be back on, like Joe.........

IP Logged

ssmann

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2016 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Harry Pope only used cotton, wad it up so it has to be really forced thru the bore. It works better than anything I have ever used, gets down into the rifling really well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint