Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cleaning 32-40 (Read 7942 times)
stubbicatt
Ex Member

Cleaning 32-40
Jan 9th, 2016 at 5:36am
Print Post  
One thing I've noticed is that my rifle bore is always nice and shiny after shooting. Typically, 1 or 2 wet patches followed by a couple dry and I'm done. A wipe down of the outside of the rifle, and into the safe.

This last time I shot her, I decided not to clean the bore at all. Just a few flecks of 4227 in there, otherwise nice and shiny. I also notice that it shoots significantly better after a few fouling shots, so I reckon it is a little like a 22, which typically shoots better with a fouled bore.

As a kid my father drilled into me to never put away a dirty gun, so this is a departure from my habit, and has me a tad bit nervous.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: Cleaning 32-40
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 9:01am
Print Post  
The lube is a critical part of he system. Every time you clean it with oil / solvents, you clean out the lube conditioning of the bore. It will take 5 to 10 shots to restore normality and get it back to its grouping potential. Try just pushing two dry, fairly tight, patches through the bore after shooting and leave it at that. Nitro powder only, of course!
Fred

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I also don't put them away without running a patch through the bore. I made up a bunch of those pull through cleaning devices from parachute cord, and used bore swabs on the end of each. I put a piece of brass rod in the opposite end, and drop them through, and pull it out. Don't usually do more than one pass, unless I see something that needs real attention when I get home.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Like the others I wipe once at the range with a patch. Home give it a few more passes.

That scrub your bore from Boot Camp was a discipline lesson, not good for guns.

Pull through works great and is easy to carry with you. I make mine from 50 # Monofilament fishing line with a loop knot in the end. Stiff enough you can push it through, grab the tag end and pull a patch.

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 11:18am
Print Post  

What kind of lube are you using?  What kind of barrel?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 9th, 2016 at 11:18am:

What kind of lube are you using?  What kind of barrel?

It is bullet lube. In a rifled barrel. 

Emmeritt's lube, Douglas barrel. - Not positive on the Douglas barrel, but pretty sure.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I have recently discovered that an uncleaned bore helps with cast bullets (never was much for bore cleaning after jacketed), but only for so long. After three or four outings it needs a little more than just dry patching. I'll just dampen a patch with Hoppe's and then a dry series until almost clean patches come out. Next time at the range a few foulers brings it back again. Once in a while I'll lead a barrel, and then all bets are off until it's cleaned and re-seasoned, of course.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Douglas barrel SPG lube 1/25 Tin/Lead 4227 powder.  Bore has never seen a brush 

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  
My belief is that a plane based bullet barrel has more in common with a .22 rimfire barrel that a modern high-power bench barrel. I clean my barrel with a .30 caliber brush with a 2 1/4” wrapped around it two or three wet patches of Ed’s Red. When the carbon is gone and I see cooked lube on the patch I’m done.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Strange statement, 40Rod. If lead C/F loads are more like 22 rimfires, then you should not clean them.
The late Bert Brookes, who ran the customer range at Eley, recommended two dry patches through the bore after shooting, unless you had changed the brand / type of ammunition and hence the lube system. If this was the case, clean with patches and a suitable solvent, but do not expect the rifle to be accurate until 5 to 10 rounds of the new ammo has been put through it.
Using an Anschutz in a special rest, Bert was able to repeatably demonstrate this effect.
Fred

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Just curious if a Bore Snake would substitute for a dry patch?

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I found out the hard way that if a rifle is taken outside in cold weather and then brought into a warm room, condensate will form in the bore.  Whether it has been shot or not, this moisture needs to be removed or pitting can occur.

JS

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
You need to wipe the bore. Don't need to scrub a good barrel that's only seen lubed cast lead bullets .

Unless you want to start from scratch getting it to shoot well

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 8:55am
Print Post  
I understand what you are saying but I said have more in common not just like. A lifetime of my father drilling into me that when you get home the first thing that you do is clean the rifle has stuck. My point was not to clean it till there is nothing left. I just clean it till I get the carbon out and there is cooked lube on the patch. Some guys will clean and clean till there is nothing left.
For the record I clean my .22 with one wet patch and a dry patch also.

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
When shooting 4759, be sure not to leave any unburnt powder granules in the barrel. Back in the late 80's, when I was doing development work on my Douglas barreled 45/70, I was in a hurry to leave the range and didn't clean it. I didn't think to much about it, because I was going to use it again the next week.

The next Saturday, when setting it on the bags, I looked down the barrel and found those unburnt particles, stuck to the barrel (at least I couldn't blow them out) and after cleaning, that area was discolored and stayed that way for a while. It was very worrisome at the time but, it eventually disapeared. I never shot 4759 after that w/o cleaning at the range.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint