Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) So, What is the failure mechanism for a Ballard? (Read 14236 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: So, What is the failure mechanism for a Ballard?
Reply #30 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:49am:
Quote:
Soft, brittle steel is a bit of an oxymoron.  Steel is either one or the other.

Yes, it sounds odd but, leaded, sulphured steels, exhibit that "quality". Soft steels are very malleable and have good elongation but, 1137, 1144 and anything with a L in the number aren't, especially in the cold. You WILL NOT find any L steels in stressed aircraft parts or in quality barrels.

There have been many catastrophic barrel failures with 12L14 and 1137/44. Muzzle loading (low pressure) had many failures in the early 80's when I shot that sport.

Frank

I'm not aware of that characteristic of 11 and L steels.  More reading for me to do.   

I am aware that the rate at which stress is applied has an influence on the toughness.  e.g. the Charpy test is an impact, while the tension test for elongation and tensile strength is slow.   

I wish I had another lifetime to become really conversant with ferrous metallurgy.   

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
The failure mechanism of a cast Ballard is a human with a defective smart system.

Joe.  Roll Eyes

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:57pm:
The failure mechanism of a cast Ballard is a human with a defective smart system.

Joe.  Roll Eyes

Agreed!

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:42am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:08pm:

Joe.  Roll Eyes

Agreed!

Frank

I never, ever load a case for mine without looking at the primer. If someone walks up and starts talking,  I dump the powder or look at the primer and charge the case. Gotta eliminate that defective human cpu from the equation  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #34 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 1:42am:
frnkeore wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:08pm:

Joe.  Roll Eyes

Agreed!

Frank

I never, ever load a case for mine without looking at the primer. If someone walks up and starts talking,  I dump the powder or look at the primer and charge the case. Gotta eliminate that defective human cpu from the equation  Grin

That's a good habit to have! I wont take phone calls, or visit with friends if they drop by when I'm reloading. I simply stop, and come back to it later, rather than be interrupted.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
That is a nice option  to have, but when running matches and shooting, you will be interrupted.   Deal with it or make a choice between running matches or shooting them.  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Phil,

Thanks for your explanations and what happens to various metals when heat treated. I know now why a gunsmith friend of mine in the USA wont re-barrel and chamber a cast action Ballard to anything other than .22RF with a recommendation that only standard light loads be used. Cool

Harry.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
Phil,

Thanks for your explanations and what happens to various metals when heat treated. I know now why a gunsmith friend of mine in the USA wont re-barrel and chamber a cast action Ballard to anything other than .22RF with a recommendation that only standard light loads be used. Cool

Harry.

Harry!   You're not under water???

I think your friend is carrying it a BIT far, but as a commercial smith I'm sure he's thinking of his own safety.  Nobody is likely to overload a .22 rimfire and then call a lawyer when the gun blows up.   

Believe it or not, I have a cast action that was built up by Sedgley, with a .22 Lovell barrel on it.  Apparently this wasn't unique in the early days of the Lovell.  Even Hervey Lovell himself is reported to have built one or two Ballards.   I'm not about to risk the gun by loading to typical Lovell pressures, however.   I've shot only cast bullet loads, and not many, either.

Frank deHaas wrote a pretty good piece on how to make Ballards work.  It's in his first Single Shot Rifles book, and he reprised it in one of the later ones.

<div class=

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 11th, 2016 at 12:30pm:
That is a nice option  to have, but when running matches and shooting, you will be interrupted.   Deal with it or make a choice between running matches or shooting them.  Roll Eyes 

I find that even when practicing I am often interrupted, mostly because people are curious about my strange looking rifles. 

I tip each case upside down before adding powder.  I like to do the deprime, reprime, and powder charge all in one step without interruption.  I figure anyone who wants to talk can wait the 15 seconds it takes to do this.  Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #39 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
An excessive application of concerted ignorance and/or dumbness is a common failure mode for many mechanisms. I was once sent a nice looking No. 2 cast frame Ballard marked 32 Long that had been rechambered to 32-40. The bore was .3065". I returned it with a letter explaining why this wasn't the best idea. I finally found a No. 2 in 32 Long which is quite happy with BP pressure loads, and which would probably keep functioning without failure as long as there was lead, powder and primers to be had - if I don't get dumber or more ignorant than I already am.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #40 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
bisaacson wrote on Jan 13th, 2016 at 1:37pm:
An excessive application of concerted ignorance and/or dumbness is a common failure mode for many mechanisms. I was once sent a nice looking No. 2 cast frame Ballard marked 32 Long that had been rechambered to 32-40. The bore was .3065". I returned it with a letter explaining why this wasn't the best idea. I finally found a No. 2 in 32 Long which is quite happy with BP pressure loads, and which would probably keep functioning without failure as long as there was lead, powder and primers to be had - if I don't get dumber or more ignorant than I already am.

Sounds to me like your smart system is in good shape at this time and you do not require assistance, at this time. Looks like your decision making system is in good shape as well. 

As you get older your systems will begin to fail. Get used to it because "it is what it is." 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #41 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
It is real simple. The Cast actions were built for small low Pressure calibers. And the castings themselves were not very good. large voids and off center barrel thread locations showing
nearly no support on the under side. Building these into heavy caliber rifles using modern smokeless powders is courting disaster. You do realize I believe, we only are issued one set of Eyes. And some of the other equipment we have is also precious. HTH, BELIEVE. REGARDS, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #42 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Fritz,
I agree with you. The cast actions fine if left alone in original calibers and shot with original level loads. If the rifle is going to be re-barreled they make great .22RF rifles. The Ballard castings have lots of flaws. If you find a cast action re-barreled to 32-40 or in anything else you do not know what else was done with the action such as re-hardining or welding flaws and cracks. I will dig out Franks Zika's cast 1/2 action it shows how little support is under the threads. Frank said cast actions make good .22RF and that is all he would build one to. One of his favorite sayings was "you always want to be able to count to 21 at the end of the day." I would add having two eyes is good too.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #43 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I'm going to keep on shooting mine. 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #44 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 2:02am
Print Post  
bisaacson wrote on Jan 13th, 2016 at 1:37pm:

Or, if it had been sent to me, and it was a nice rifle, I would have shot it a lot.

Joe. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint