Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) So, What is the failure mechanism for a Ballard? (Read 14251 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: So, What is the failure mechanism for a Ballard?
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:09am
Print Post  
We just had a simular discussion regarding LW strength and I think that the same criteria could be used for the Ballard.

I have a cast Ballard in 32/40, I don't consider it unsafe with BP pressure charges (~20K psi) and if Ballard ever re-barreled rifles, I think that mine could have had that done, by them. The barrel is perfect in every way to a original and stamped to the serial # of the frame. I would say that there are at least hundreds of 32/40 or 38/55 cast Ballards. I personally saw one fail (double charged) but, it had a soft, brittle steel barrel on it (1137 I believe) that failed in a very big way, split end to end . The shooter only had splinters from the forearm. I'm sure that it wouldn't have happen if the barrel had been made of 4130 or better steel.

JMO

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Soft, brittle steel is a bit of an oxymoron.  Steel is either one or the other.

Civil War Ballards are indeed malleable iron. Says so right in the patent documentation.  And in fact that's the only way they could have been made economically, prior to the Bessemer revolution of the 1870s. (They could have been cast of crucible steel, but at a shocking price.)

Malleable iron is "white" cast iron that has been heat treated for days at 1500 degrees or so, packed in an oxidizing material. Crushed iron ore was a common material. The oxygen combined with the carbon and gassed off as carbon monoxide, pulling a lot of the flake graphite out of the metal, and converting most of the remaining flake into spheroids that don't take up so much space in the crystal matrix, leaving almost pure iron for the remainder.  (That's a very crude description of what the annealing process does.)  That's why the big hole under the barrel spigot.  The annealing process could only go so deep.  Because it took so long in the furnace to accomplish the annealing, the process burned an awful lot of fuel, to say the least, but it was the only practical way to make a cast ferrous part that would stand any shock.      

One thing about malleable iron parts.  They can be case hardened, but the process converts some of the annealed crystal structure back to plain old cast iron.  If a malleable iron frame were repeatedly case hardened, it will be significantly weaker.  Food for thought.

Now, I'm still more than a little convinced that, by the time Marlin took up making the Ballard, that it would have been possible to cast the actions of fluid steel.  That would have been much cheaper in that, not needing that long annealing period, the fuel cost would be much lower.   It would be fairly easy to tell in a microscopical metallurgy lab, and I've got an rough old #3 frame that I'd donate.  Anyone know someone with the requisite facilities?  I've been trying to rig up to do this myself, but I can't find nitric acid for sale in less than gallon size lots.  

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
John Dutcher refers to the cast frames numerous times throughout his book as "cast iron", not "cast steel". I don't know if he did any metallurgy tests, or knew of any done.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:48am:
John Dutcher refers to the cast frames numerous times throughout his book as "cast iron", not "cast steel". I don't know if he did any metallurgy tests, or knew of any done.

So did Jim Serven.  I really don't think they understood the difference between cast iron and malleable iron.  They both must have read the patent drawings, which clearly say malleable.   

It's quite possible that Marlin kept on with the original casting material, but the opportunity to cut cost by going to steel nags me.  I recently found an article by a metallurgist who analyzed gun metals from Civil War and onward.  He wrote that he found Bessemer steel in a Trapdoor.  Turns out that it's fairly easy to identify Bessemer, to the exclusion of all other forms, under a microscope.  Until very recently I've been believing that virtually all the 1870s Bessemer steel production went to rails, but it clearly wasn't so. The Panic of 1873 dropped rail production by 70%, so there would have been plenty of Bessemer steel available, and probably cheap, too.   

But it's all speculation until I can find either an ounce or two of nitric acid, or a metallurgical lab that is willing to do the study.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:29am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:16am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:09am:
marlinguy wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 9:48am:

So did Jim Serven.  I really don't think they understood the difference between cast iron and malleable iron.  They both must have read the patent drawings, which clearly say malleable.     

The patent drawings are for the original Ballard design. There were 4 companies making the Ballard rifle prior to John Marlin. I'm unsure if the receivers were cast of the same materials by all, or if any changes in materials or methods occurred between the 1861 start, and 1875 when Marlin began producing Ballards.
I truly wish someone would take up the project of testing an old cast Ballard frame, and give us some real data on what they were made of.

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:37am
Print Post  
So far it seems that the consensus is that no one knows of a legitimate cast action failure. There are serious concerns based on materials. Marlin made the cast actions in 38-55, 32-40, 44-40.  So basically we have nothing but conjecture and personal risk vs reward.

It would be interesting to know if a Pacific in 44-40 was cast or forged.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Exactly, Vall

Properly done, malleable has tensile and elongation numbers not a whole lot less than a very low carbon steel.  Neither one should show a brittle failure if the ultimate tensile is exceeded.  But if malleable recv were reheated for case hardening, all bets are off.  At least that's how I get it from studying my old Dad's textbooks,  (1920s vintage).   

Either way, the strength of the barrel ring is pretty low, compared to the higher carbon and alloyed steels that became universal for making guns by 1910 or so.  As somebody has already pointed out, if a heavy overload is fired, both the barrel's hoop strength and the receiver ring are tested.  A low tensile receiver ring can't help resist the stress, and boom.  

Personally I will never build a cast Ballard to handle a large capacity cartridge.   I have a .28-30 barrel that I will fit to one someday, but that's as far as I'll go.  Even if the intent is to use only black, sooner or later it would get used with smokeless, and double charges do happen with smokeless.  I've done it myself.   Embarrassed

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
Soft, brittle steel is a bit of an oxymoron.  Steel is either one or the other.

Yes, it sounds odd but, leaded, sulphured steels, exhibit that "quality". Soft steels are very malleable and have good elongation but, 1137, 1144 and anything with a L in the number aren't, especially in the cold. You WILL NOT find any L steels in stressed aircraft parts or in quality barrels.

There have been many catastrophic barrel failures with 12L14 and 1137/44. Muzzle loading (low pressure) had many failures in the early 80's when I shot that sport.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:09am:
I personally saw one fail (double charged) but, it had a soft, brittle steel barrel on it (1137 I believe) that failed in a very big way, split end to end . The shooter only had splinters from the forearm. I'm sure that it wouldn't have happen if the barrel had been made of 4130 or better steel.

JMO

Frank

Frank, Was that at Springfield that resulted in a hole   in the steel roof above bench #7?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Friend of mine wanted to color harden a cast Ballard I had.  I let him.  He cracked it  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 1:18pm:
frnkeore wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:09am:
I personally saw one fail (double charged) but, it had a soft, brittle steel barrel on it (1137 I believe) that failed in a very big way, split end to end . The shooter only had splinters from the forearm. I'm sure that it wouldn't have happen if the barrel had been made of 4130 or better steel.

JMO

Frank

Frank, Was that at Springfield that resulted in a hole   in the steel roof above bench #7?

Yes, you, me and Joe, where all there. the top of the receiver ring hit Chuck. There are still some others that are still alive that saw and heard it, too. Steve and Chauncy for two others. Who can forget that?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
bohemianway wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 10:37am:
So far it seems that the consensus is that no one knows of a legitimate cast action failure. There are serious concerns based on materials. Marlin made the cast actions in 38-55, 32-40, 44-40.  So basically we have nothing but conjecture and personal risk vs reward.

It would be interesting to know if a Pacific in 44-40 was cast or forged.

Charles

No, Marlin never did build a cast frame Ballard in .32-40 or .38-55 that I've ever seen or heard of. But I've owned several in .44-40 on the #2 cast frame, and one in .44 Long CF.
Never heard of a Pacific in .44-40, or a cast frame Pacific, nor have I seen any. I have seen a #4 Perfection in .44-40 though, and it was done on a forged frame.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 10th, 2016 at 2:31pm:

Yes, you, me and Joe, where all there. the top of the receiver ring hit Chuck. There are still some others that are still alive that saw and heard it, too. Steve and Chauncy for two others. Who can forget that?

I missed that one Frank.  I was safe and sound at home or on some other adventure.  Wink

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Oh no, Bob. It was Terry Savages Ballard. As I remember it was also engraved?

You missed a big event. The barrel was split from end to end, on one side and about 3/4 of the way on the other. It fell about 1 ft in front of the bench. The receiver ring hit the roof and then, hit chuck in the arm. The report was LOUD and everyone looked, because of that.

Terry was froze for about a 1/2 minute and it look like he didn't know what had happen. I'm not sure but, I think Chuck got to him first, I was about 4 bench to the left of him. I don't know where anyone else was when it happened, maybe Joe does.

Something you never forget!

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
I am sure I was not there, I would not forget either.  The first time I was on bench 7 in the rain, I remembered it was the memorial Ballard bench and shot else where after that  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint