Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F (Read 17040 times)
tim_s
Oldtimer

Re: Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F
Reply #30 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Are you using wind flags? Also, have you cleaned the barrel and in particular the throat of he gun? I mean a comprehensive clean, brush, solvent, right down to clean metal.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Where can I get these stocks, Dave?

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 7:39am
Print Post  
That's the nicest Dewar (Model 15) I've ever seen!
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2016 at 7:49am by gewehrfreund »  

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
With regards to my rifle all work was done by a local gunsmith here in NZ.
Have not used a wind flag and I use Hoppes number 9 leaving it overnight until the patch comes out clean and then use Castrol engine oil when the rifle goes back in the safe.
The last time I shot my rifle and got my inch groups it was a hot day with no wind or mirage.
I was all prepared to try several things as suggested on these pages but thought to try what the late Michael Petrove had suggested first, which was to rest the barrel on the front rest with the front of the fore-wood just touching the rest to get the same point of contact each time as well as the lessons I had learned to get the very lightest touch of my fingers to the butt when dry firing with the scope cranked up to 32x.
The club I shoot at is no target club and most competitions through out the year are shot in four positions with hunting rifles over 6mm in calibre without slings or jackets and a couple of competitions during the year slings and jackets can be used in a prone shoot and also the F class at two hundred metres and a more recent hundred metre shoot for R/F where rests can be used.
Which was why I wanted to get my Martini shooting into one inch.
Any misses I have had with this rifle when head shots on rabbits I have put down to not estimating the range properly.
Anything I shoot I eat.
fifty years ago my first rifle was a ISU BSA International and found out when pistol shooting that my left eye was my master eye and thought perhaps that was why I wasn't getting the max score at my local club in England shooting postal competitions, so I carved out the stock to shoot with my left eye as the photo will show but it was only when I put the scope on that I could manage a 100 each time. Which of course didn't count and after I arrived in NZ I had it chambered for a K Hornet. At first I used to only use 223 calibre bullets but found that I could shoot 224 bullets in this barrel ok.

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2016 at 3:50pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

rapidfire

Reply #34 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Feb 2nd, 2016 at 7:30pm:
where did you get the stock and fore-end?? 

You can get stocks and forearms from CPA Rifles.
They provide great wood when you pay for higher quality wood.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Yes, but not in the same ball park.  His stock and fore-end are superior.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

rapidfire

Reply #35 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
   The particular stocks come from Treebone Carving. 

IP Logged

sharps
Participating Member

Reply #36 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
on the subject of martinis, I have a international ?mk1?[ to make trigger adjustments you need to pull the trigger/breechblock assy,out of the rifle]  am wondering can you dry fire it, I see the breech face has a 'dimple' where the firing pin strikes so it shouldn't peen the rear of chamber, or is this related to ignition?  after having shot a 22 liner for a few yrs, this unit is a joy to shoot, and it shoots well enough to win now & then,     thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint