Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F (Read 17039 times)
Bad_Ass_Wallace

Re: Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F
Reply #15 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 3:52am
Print Post  
[quote author=6878636B646369620A0 link=1451948261/6#6 date=1451969920]My 12/15 will shoot an inch group or slightly better at 100 yds with the original sights and terrible eyes.
[quote]
My left handed International Mk2 shot this 25 shot group at 50 yards with original sights. They are beautifully made guns and well worth finding the secret to top accuracy!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Hi brianich, with regard to your enquiry a couple are Cadets and the rest are the thicker walled R/F Martini's. No idea what model they are though. A couple are take downs.
A few years ago the Cadets were about double the price of the 12/15 and have now completely dried up.
Haven't seen one for sale here in NZ for years now.
Probably all those vandals buying them up just for the actions years ago?
I did keep the straight stock on one Cadet that I had converted to 223 because it had a really nice piece of wood and thought it would be nice to keep as much as I could of the original and I think I like this shape better than some of my other pistol grip stocks. Perhaps somebody can tell me what the CMF stands for on the stock. I did used to know but have now forgotten.I do know about the NSW as I lived there for awhile.

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #17 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Hi Nero,
            CMF refers to citizens military force I think, a precursor to the reserve forces of today.

Cheers Mal.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
At my club range on Sunday, first shoot since Christmas.
Everything shuts down over this period from just before Christmas and into the new year as its the summer holidays in NZ.
It was a boiling hot day and after slathering all exposed skin with 30+ SPF sun lotion as with only a thin Ozone layer screen over NZ you can burn within fifteen minutes if in the sun.
All set to try the tips for reducing my groups into the minute of angle.
During the week before I had tried dry firing with the scope cranked up to 32 power and found that a lot of the trouble was the way I was holding the rifle.
I now just lightly hold the top of the wood where it joins the action with my thumb and also very lightly with my fingers the lever just to get some purchase for my trigger finger.  
During last week I had also had a look at the Double Gun forum and came across a post from the Late Michael Petrove regarding shooting a 22R/F from a rest.
It works, got my groups down to one inch at 100 metres with the silencer on and using RWS Rifle match.
Have a look at the link as I think you will find it interesting.
I think the reference to the 22R/F is on or around page three of the post.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2016 at 3:12pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #19 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Wind can factor big time.Need to read special windflags   
Also I think The intl's have a very slight constriction , or choke , ( like Anschutz )that helps get the ultimate accuracy, if this has been cut off that cant be good. Google Calfee on importance of choke in 22 rf

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
   The late Buddy Streat, at the Columbia Schuetzenverein when they were shooting at Fairfax VA, 3 years in a row shot  5 shot groups under an inch at 200 yd, with a MK II Martini.  Smallest was about 0.85"

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
That's a ASSRA target, Bob. Not a perfect target. Close.  Grin

ASSRA target? Shot at a ISSA match in Spokane? O M G!!   Lips Sealed

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I had a BSA Mark three for a while. Shooting it OH was very difficult. Like holding a log out there. Sold it to Bob Bowman. Bob shot many 250's with it. Well, think they were leaded edge 250's anyway.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #23 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I have a #3 and find it cumbersome and cant shoot it offhand .Some consider it the best prone or B/R Intl. I like the # 4's they are easier to balance , unless you are very strong,  #5's are almost as heavy as the 3's and balance similar. I still have 2 #4's. Ive had the good fortune to own and shoot several of these Intl's.  all were very accurate. As good as Anschutz Supermatches from the 70's. I spend lots of happy times shooting all from  benchrest . The Intls have a good single stage trigger , on some rifles you can get adjusted to 3 OZ . I like the Anschutz 2 stage a bit better. Tho I guess they wouldnt be competitive these days in B/R

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Win 32-40, sounds about right re. off hand shooting those martini int'ls - after all, Mk III and V were developed as dedicsted prone rifles, so oofhand use would be hard to say the least.  OTOH, a MkIV was the ISU model, so works much better offhand.  Seems like the BSA guys did their homework well.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 2:20am
Print Post  
I have  a MK IV ISU that I have shot offhand form time to time.  It came with an adjustable Schuetzen butt plate that helps a lot.  Weren't all thse supposed to be 3 position guns?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #26 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:47am
Print Post  
The Mk IV ISU was intended as the 3 positional was very suitable for that .
I was lucky to know a Shooter who moved here from England who could get the Mintest  BSA Intl's and Anschutzes very cheap, as there was a glut in England with every town having a shooting club , that were generally disbanding for different hobbies and pursuits about 25-30 years ago. With the War fears diminishing, less Government subsidy and less interest. He brought over at least 20 -30 over a 8 year period . I was always getting different ones , trying to find a real standout, and there wasnt much difference in all the BSA Mk3 -5,s and Anschutz target 54's. they were all amazing. The Mark IV was the most common of his offerings and my favorite, as they werent any less accurate. (they must have been most popular) We did lots of Bench testing including weekly in his 50' basement range and weekend and summer eves out doors 75 yd -200 M. all the best target ammo. Eley Black Match was generally the most consistent in all guns.
He never brought MK2 and previous, so I dont know about them

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
A lot of British .22 ranges were on company land and closures meant that the club lost the range. My original club was one such but luckily survived  and is operating to this day, but no longer under the patronage of the company.
The major cause of the surplus of BSA Martinis was fashion: from about 1965 onwards, everybody wanted an Anschutz. As older shooters died or simply gave up, they often left their rifle to the club, resulting in clubs eventually running out of storage space and selling off batches of BSAs to dealers who promptly exported them to the USA.
Fred

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #28 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Nice info on MK III

IP Logged

rapidfire

Reply #29 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
   Not trying to divert the conversation, but where did you get the stock and fore-end??  I have several 12/15's and would like to dress one or two up and then give it to a youth.     Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint