Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F (Read 17006 times)
Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F
Jan 4th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
As I saw that three posts here said that they use a 12/15 BSA Martini's in the bulging R/F cases post I thought I would start a new one as I didn't want to hijack that thread and as I have seen other posts here saying they get under half inch groups at a hundred yards and had assumed they were using special target rifles or barrels to get that sort of accuracy.
This is my BSA Martini R/F barrel which I had threaded for a silencer and shortened to twenty inches that came with the action.
I think it must have a tight chamber as occasionally a case from RWS Rifle match needs a firm push to get it to chamber. All other types of brands go in no trouble and no bulging cases.
I have also used Lapua and Eley match without much success. Around one and a half inch groups off a sand bag. Never any better and quite often worse.
The only thing that has been done to this rifle is a shortened barrel and a new stock.
The trigger is a perfect light let off as one can come to expect from a BSA Martini.
I have bore scoped the barrel with my new $14-00 bore scope and it all looks ok to me.
I have put my poor accuracy down to mirage or wind, forgot to mention it is topped with a Burris 8x32 scope which I generally use at around twenty to twenty four depending on the day.
Is this rifle capable of better accuracy than I am getting and is all down to my lousy shooting?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Accuracy from a BSA Martini R/F
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
SHOULD do much better.
OK, if it should, where is the problem?

Have you tried shooting groups without the fore end?  That would eliminate one variable.  I assume you've checked the tightness of the stock.  And I assume that the scope is not at fault.  Easy to check those too.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Nero:    Looks like a fine rifle.  Easy to tell if its you or the rifle. Find a crakerjack rifle shot and have him shoot your rifle.  Anr / or you shoot his matchwinner.  You will know.............                              Best        andy

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I did have to send the scope back to Burris after I had it for a while as it had droplets of water inside and they sorted it free of charge. Can be a bit humid where I live sometimes like today.
The stock is a tight fit but have never shot it without the forearm wood.
Shoots a little better with the silencer on.
There is a small gap between the forearm wood and the action.
Will try it without the forearm in a couple of weeks time.
I have eight other small BSA Martini's all in centre fire ranging from a 222 to a 7mm Waters all of which will shoot into a minute of angle. My favorites being the 7mm and a 357 Mag. 
No one ever brings along a target 22R/F to my club so have no comparisons to try.
How do you other guys get on shooting a 12/15 at a hundred yards?
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2016 at 9:30pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Nero,
Have you tried resting at different places on the forearm?  That had an effect on the Martini I had.

JS

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
22rf's can be very picky about what ammo you use. Not that I'm a great shot but tested my martini with 4 types of ammo. CCI green tag, Winchester, Remington and some Russian brass cased "Junior". Did 20 shot groups cleaned between each type ammo and then checked the targets. The Russian stuff shot best. I have a CMP H&R model 12 which is a single shot target rifle and that one shot the CCI green tag the best. So maybe you should try different brands and see which one does the best. Just a suggestion. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

brianich
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
My 12/15 will shoot an inch group or slightly better at 100 yds with the original sights and terrible eyes.

Your small martini centerfires--are those converted Cadets or 12/15s? Thinking about doing a conversion myself.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 3:26am
Print Post  
When you wrote that it shot better with the silencer, that might be a clue.  It is not the silencer per se, but the mass of the silencer that is changing the position of the null node when the barrel vibrates.  When the barrel was cut off & threaded, was the cut 100 % square?  Maybe facing the barrel & recrowning would help. Since the silencer helps, try adding some weight to the silencer.  You can mess about with barrel vibrations.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I see that's a takedown - might be some issues with barrel to receiver fit?   
Also, .5 in ch groups at 100 with a .22 isn't 'normal' accuracy.  Don't forget the .22LR is notoriously fickle to shoot, and extremely sensitive to any variation in holding, position, grip,...  1.5 inches without extensive trqctice doesn't seem unreasonable.
Also, when changing ammo, you'll need to shoot about 20 shots before it will stabilize and shoot to potential.
It's MUCH easier to get MOA accuracy with CF than with .22lr...

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Since you really want to know what the rifle is capable of, use the best ammo you can find for your testing. .22's can be very ammo sensitive, but keep in mind that cheap ammo will not give best results, only the "good stuff" will on a consistent basis. Try; Lapua Center X or Midas+, RWS R50 or Special Rifle Match, Eley Tenex or Match EPS. Even Wolf or SK are only second tier ammo.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Nope its not a take down but your post sure made me feel better.
I haven't done any practicing with this rifle and have only used it for rabbit shooting until recently when our club put on a competition for R/F at a 100 metres at our range.
Any R/F rifle and can use a sling and a jacket. Which is why I had the aluminium rail put on the bottom of the fore end and put a hand stop from a BSA International on and got out my old target shooting jacket that I haven't used for years.
Thanks guys for all the input its appreciated.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Was the accuracy issue when you used a sling and not off sand bags? If so sling pressure with that set up can be a big issue.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Not trying to unnecessarily stir the pot too much, but I have found some ammo (RWS) likes  fairly clean barrel, but other (Federal) likes well fouled and doesn't seem to shoot real well until after 50 shots. YMMV  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I occasionally shoot a 12/15 with a "Parkerrifled" barrel, and with the best ammo it will group under 1 inch at 100 yards from the bench.  It likes to be shot free recoil.  The best ammo was Fed gold medal ultra match.  Eley, Lapua,Fiocchi and Wolf ME were all at around 1.5 inch groups.  Like an earlier poster, I wonder about the crown on your barrel.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Shot it for grouping off a rest and a sand bag under the butt prone.
After reading about the half inch starter groups posted here, thought this was the norm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint