Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) cleaning ctg. rifles used with black powder (Read 8653 times)
ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

cleaning ctg. rifles used with black powder
Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I would hear some of you black powder cartridge shooters explain their cleaning procedures for their firearms and cases for long term storage, 6 mo. to 1 yr., when they use black powder. Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: cleaning ctg. rifles used with black powder
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I clean mine with Butches Black Powder Bore Shine and dry the bore.  Then if there is any sign of leading I alternate patches with Kroil and dry patches until there is no sign of leading.

I dry the bore and use Eezox for storage.

Chris.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
For firearms, I just shoot about 3-5 smokeless loads through the barrel and clean the muzzle with a water based cleaner then, clean the bore as usual, wipe down with oil and put away.

For cases, I recommend ultrasonic cleaning in what ever you normally use for a BP cleaner. Warm them, to evaporate the water and put in a dry place to keep.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
After the match at the range I blow five times in the blow tube then push a patch through. Three breaths and run a clean patch through. Another patch through. Then a wet Hoppes patch. Then work a clean patch back and forth. A final clean patch, then a Hoppies wet patch. One week after storing at home check the bore. 

Cases, decap and tumble in SS media for three hours. Rinse and air dry.

At the last match, Butte a few weeks ago, no leading in the three rifles we used. 8.15 X 46R, 32-40, 38-55. 

Joe.
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2015 at 3:54pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I have used Glass Plus glass cleaner for years to clean the bore. As good a BP solvent as any.  Cheaper than most.  Usually available at most grocery stores  Smiley  Oil with G 96. 

Cases, rinse in a jug of water, wash with 50/50 vinegar and water, rinse, dry,  and tumble.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
For decades I have used Windex, either with ammonia or vinegar, to remove burnt powder fouling from Swiss, Goex, Pyrodex, 777. I alternate wet and dry patches through bore until totally clean. I use Rem Oil normally or some "grease" for longer storage. Has been just fine for guns unused for up to 10 years. I do repeat prior to expected longer term storage. Also clean and lube/grease all working parts, say, in lever guns and especially revolvers.

For brass cases I do as Schuetzenmeister notes above.

There is no "Rocket Science" with guns made of "modern" steels. If made of older steels, inspect every few years.

Grisen

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Been shooting MLs for 30 years and my HighWall for the last three years or so I find that just plain old hot soapy water followed by drying and oiling is all that's needed, my T/C Hawken is over 25 years old and the bore is spotless.

That's with real BP however, any of the subs (with the notable exception of BH 209) and all bets are off! My limited experiance with Pyrodex was a real eyeopener, no doubt that thorough cleaning will prevent corrosion problems but that thorough cleaning was to me a LOT more involved than with real BP so the answer to the question depends at least somewhat on the type pf powder used.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I fill my mouth with water, put a blow tube in the chamber, aim the muzzle at the ground, and blow the mouthful of water through the barrel.  Remove the blow tube, push a clean patch through, and repeat.  Wipe off the muzzle, put a dry patch through the bore again, and then mop the bore thoroughly with bullet lube on a patch.  You're done.  So fast and easy compared to smokeless powder cleanup.

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 5:33pm:
I fill my mouth with water, put a blow tube in the chamber, aim the muzzle at the ground, and blow the mouthful of water through the barrel.  Remove the blow tube, push a clean patch through, and repeat.  Wipe off the muzzle, put a dry patch through the bore again, and then mop the bore thoroughly with bullet lube on a patch.  You're done.  So fast and easy compared to smokeless powder cleanup.

I agree BP (real honest to gosh Black Powder) is simple as rinsing with clear water most of the time, I use a mild dish liquid however and just make sure it gets dried good, then a little bit of oil and that's it! Like a lot of folks I at first heard the unfounded horror stories but quickly learned it was way overblown, maybe it is somewhat of a major concern with some of the subs but real BP is not nearly as bad as some seem to think.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I clean the bores after a match with damp patches of water and dawn soap.
Then dry patches...Then wet patches with Eezox..and left that way. Wipe down the outside metal with gun oil.
Brass goes into a dawn and water jug at the range asap.
Brass gets rinsed out with clean water as much as possible when home, and then goes right into the Vibrating Tumbler wet...Tumble in there till it looks clean.
Later I run a spinning Brush in and out of all cases on the drill press...

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
After a couple of patches wetted with 5-1 mix of water soluble cutting oil & water do a thorough cleaning with patches wetted with Arizona Sharpshooter's 'Dago Red' (gotta luv the name). Run the last patch very tight. Another couple of patches wetted with Break Free oil and then a couple of patches with Bore-Butter prior to any storage (generally 3mon, at most). So far, so good.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
When I attended my first BP shoot, every shooter had a milk jug of soapy water sitting by his shooting station. After each shot the empty case was dropped into the jug. Then cleaned when the shooter got home.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:27pm:
When I attended my first BP shoot, every shooter had a milk jug of soapy water sitting by his shooting station. After each shot the empty case was dropped into the jug. Then cleaned when the shooter got home.

That's something that don't get mentioned as much as the gun itself but I have found case cleaning/maintenance to be more of a hassle than cleaning the gun itself.

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 6:05am
Print Post  
I have found a 6 to 1 mixture of water to Ballistol cleans the bores very well. Just a couple wet patches and as many dry as necessary to get it clean. 

Fortunately, when mixed this way, that "soiled diaper" smell of Ballistol is not noticeable.  Smiley

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Radkins wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:01pm:
marlinguy wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:27pm:

That's something that don't get mentioned as much as the gun itself but I have found case cleaning/maintenance to be more of a hassle than cleaning the gun itself.

Have never been to a match where the shooter's decap after each shot. As timed events where one must shoot all their shots within a certain time window, that would take too much time. One is normally shooting in a relay and either decaps on their off-relay or at the end of the match.

Whether you decap at the range or decap at home, it doesn't matter if you are shooting smokeless or BP. You still have to decap. 

Like the majority of BP shooters I am aware of, I clean in a wet-tumbler. I would say the majority still decap at the range and toss in soapy water, but many don't if it is only going to be a day or two before they get around to cleaning the brass. A nice benefit of shooting BP is that once fire-formed one does not need to do any sizing of the brass. And, it lasts essentially forever if well cared for. Load, shoot, clean, repeat...............
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2015 at 6:51am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint