Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) cleaning ctg. rifles used with black powder (Read 8661 times)
Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: cleaning ctg. rifles used with black powder
Reply #15 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 7:41am
Print Post  
After the original cleaning of the bore I have found that I need to go back a day or two later and reclean or I get afterrusting. I guess the black powder gunk comes out of the pores in the steel and starts the rusting process.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 9:53am
Print Post  
I never saw anyone decap their cases before dropping them in their jug of soapy water? They just dropped them jn, and decapped them later at home.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sharps
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I'll throw in my 12cents,[adjusted for inflation] I wet patch w- 50/50 mix of windex w/vinegar, dry bore when clean and use use straight ballistoil, in bore when done, when I get a lull in shooting, or before I leave, decap brass and put in soapy water jug for ride home. at home use ultrasonic cleaner, rinse and just let air dry, tumble if I want shiney brass;  kinda leaned towards ballistoil because it neutraliziys?  any bp fouling that may get missed, haven't had any problems with rust, here in n/central wi, I try to check things out after a coupla months and run a damp patch down bore just to be on safe side, good luck

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #18 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Sounds like a lot of good ways to clean- do NOT use if you shoot Pyrodex.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Even if you have a week of travel to do in order to get home, there is no problem at all with sticking your fired cases into a ziplock bag and dealing with them when you get home. 

Chris.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 28th, 2015 at 9:53am:
I never saw anyone decap their cases before dropping them in their jug of soapy water? They just dropped them jn, and decapped them later at home.

Seems like most of the people I shoot with de-cap before throwing the brass into the soapy water...Me and the wife do.

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:27am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Dec 28th, 2015 at 6:41pm:
Even if you have a week of travel to do in order to get home, there is no problem at all with sticking your fired cases into a ziplock bag and dealing with them when you get home. 

Chris.

My results haven't shown I could wait a week! when I first shot BP I tossed my cases in my shooting box, and when I got home I cleaned my gun thoroughly. I remembered the cases a few days later, and went to clean them. They had already started to corrode.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Vall, I think the zip lock bags keep moist air away from the cases.  I haven't had any corrosion problems on my trips.   

I don't bother soaking my cases for more than 1/2 hour after decapping.  It keeps the cases shiny Smiley.   

I would decap and rinse in water at the end of each day but I'm a procrastinator Smiley

I used to use water and windex with vinegar for cleaning my rifles, but Kenny Wasserberger recommended Butches BP Bore Shine as he thought it helped pull out any carbon fouling in the throat.  It seems pretty good.  But as the one poster said, there are lots of effective ways to clean these rifles.  I do like to check on them a day or two later.

The brass is the most work.  I decap, drop them into soapy hot water for 20-30 minutes max.  Then I clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner in two passes. One ith Hornady solution, and the other with pure water.  The cases come out like new.  If I want to use them in a hurry, I dry them with a heat gun on the lowest setting.

When shooting BP with a single case I don't bother with any of this.  I just clean the single case by hand with a brush and soapy water.  That makes for the easiest cleanup at the end of the day Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

cmargs

Reply #23 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I use equal parts of peroxide, isoprophyl alcohol, murphys oil soap. swab until clean. Finish off with FP-10 oil. Never had a problem. cmargs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint